Sevel pre 2006 radio installation

eljay

Hi,

I wonder if some of you sages can tell me how to remove the "cubby hole" insert so that I can install a radio in my pre-2006 Sevel-based motorhome, please. I can see screws behind and beneath the pop-up clip board and those around the ash tray and cup-holder, but where do I go from there? I have the speakers to instal so am not held up at the moment, but would like the get the job done before Thursday.

Oh yes, I have seen that the wiring is pre-installed for the speakers, but is the aerial likely to fitted too?

Thank you.

J

I assume you are talking about something like this:

http://jtaudio.net/images/ducatotrim-400.jpg

I'm not familiar with your Ducato model, but all the 'cubby hole' inserts I've encountered in the past have been held in the dashboard by 'bumps' on the outside of the insert. To remove the insert you just wrenched it out of the dashboard (though this wasn't always easy).

This MotorhomeFacts thread may be useful:

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-11573-days0-orderasc-0.html

No need to remove any screws.

There are little lugs that retain it top and/or bottom, you need to prise the bottom/top edge up a little then you can see them. Use a nice soft implement to avoid damaging the front edge, once they have cleared the front edge it just slides out.

Mine has an aerial on the wing so in my case yes, but I would imagine you should have the same - even if yours is integral.

Strangely even though I used the Fiat pre-wiring mine doesn't retain its memory.

I knew someone out there would know the answer.

Thank you both for your responses.

Once I tried a plastic windscreen ice-scraper top and bottom out came the insert. It looks as though the aerial may be pre-wired, but the termination is not compatible with the radio I have so may end up mounting my own aerial, unless I can find an adapter locally.

Again, thanks.

J

You can readily get adapters for the aerial. You may find the aerial lead only goes as far as being left dangling down to the right of the steering wheel and behind dash lower panels. If you take off the lower access panel, far right bottom, by removing the two screws with plastic bushes round them then you should find it somwhere behind there hanging down It wil be terminated with a socket connector.

Adapter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Aerial-Antenna-Adaptor-For-Car-Radio-ISO-to-DIN-FOR-KENWOOD-SONY-JVC-/300640498630?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item45ff91f3c6

Thank you Jon. The aerial lead was with the others at the rear of the radio slot and I have today bought an adaptor from our local (well, 25 miles away local) branch of Norauto at a cost of 6.00€.

J

If there is an aerial already fitted to your van then fine, bit if not then the aerial lead runs from back of radio and appears where I said and stops as no aerial has been fitted in production as there would have been no radio fitted. All depends if some prior owner to you fitted an aerial.

Sorry for the late response, Jon, but we have been away for the Easter week-end for the AGM of our club.

I have fitted the radio and connected it up. Whilst en route to our gathering my wife configured it and all is working well on the radio side. We have yet to try out the auxiliary features for the input of music. It seems that the aerial was fitted at time of manufacture so we haven't needed to add anything further.

Again, many thanks to you all for your help.

J

Archived