Rust Treating

Gareth

Hi, right to fill you all in on my first motorhome experience, I bought the only auto hymer I could find and that was an S660 94 model. I have in the last month forked out to replace the upholstery, renew shot engine mounts, shot exhaust clamps, fixed the dody earth on the earth lights which adds up to abouth £2.1K. I bought my little baby for £16.8K so the thing has actually cost me £18.9. I have no idea what the going rate is for a home of this age, wish MMM published 2nd hand prices every month but not the two months running up to my purchase, hey ho. Anyhow I am rambling my questions to you guys out there: a) I need to get rid of the rust from sections of the chassis and was wondering what rust remover and wax compound I could use and where I could get it from? b) I need to replace the sink in the bathroom, but it is a moudled plastic piece with a shelf, anyone know where I cand find a replacement? c) I also need to replace the sink in the kitchen, no big deal there? d) I also need to replace the plastic parts of the head rests as they have spilt? Well that is all so far and I will keep you up to date as I am hoping to go to Italy in about 2 weeks, after I have sorted these bits. Cheers, Gareth

Michele, unfortunately for me I can only drive an automatic and the only base is Mercedes with a Hymer. My budget was about 19K and all I could find was the S660, my first choice was the S670 but I only found 1 in the whole of Europe and that was in Germany. I saw 5 examples of the S660 and this one was the best and about the cheapest. I wish I had the choice of manual but there you go. I did not want to loose this summer season as I have taken 18 months off works and am going back in october. cheers, Gareth

Hi Gareth, how to get rid of the rusr depends on how bad it is really. If it is only light surface rust the wire brush the loosee stuff off before treating with Jenolite (or similar) once that's fully cured you can repaint before treating it with Waxoyl. It's all a messy job but worth it to prolong the life of your 'van. If the rust is more serious however then the best bet might be a small (4.5") angle grinder, possibly with a cup brush fitted. If it is really bad then cutting equipment followed by welding equipment is the only answer. D.

Archived