Webasto Duel Top starting issues

Sparks1061

Hi all,

I have a Travel Van fitted with a Webasto Duel Top, During the winter I leave it on at a low temp to keep the van from freezing, however managed to run the van out of fuel.

Have now filled the van but the Duel Top won't restart, I am getting 2 red flashing lights which is the error code for no fuel.

Have tried turning the system off, have also tried disconnecting the battery.

Does anyone else have any experience with this system and have any ideas?

Thanks

Sounds like you have an air lock in the fuel line, I've just had a look at the manual for one there is no mention of priming the fuel line. Looks like you will have to do it the hard way disconnect the fuel line at the heater and suck some fuel through reconnect and try again.

My understanding (and it's also logical to believe this) is that the fuel-pumps for these heaters should self-prime.

As your heater ran out of fuel, lenny's suggestion that there's an air-lock sounds good.

Presumably you can hear the fuel-pump running (they tend to be easily audible) and you've allowed plenty of time for fuel to reach the heater via the empty fuel lines?

Whether you disconnect the fuel line at the heater or at the pump's outlet may not matter much, but the first step will be to ensure that fuel is being pumped from the pump's outlet. If it's much simpler to detach the fuel line at the pump's outlet than at the heater's inlet, I'd be tempted to try detaching the line at the pump's outlet initially.

There's also this (though it probably won't be relevant to your Dual Top)

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/heating-airconditioning/38386-webasto-dual-top-smoke-cure.html

Yes I can here the fuel pump ticking away :)

I think I might wait for the snow to melt and the weather to get a bit warmer before I do anything (I´m in Finland) As I won´t be staying over night in the van before the end of April at the earliest.

It is just possible that the Diesel has 'gelled' in the cold weather too, ordinary summer diesel doesn't have so much 'anti-gel' agent in it. I have seen trucks stranded because diesel had gelled in the fuel lines.

But from the description, it just sounds like an air lock. Ray

OK problem solved,

A bit of searching in the internet and I found another instruction manual for the Duel Top which had slightly different instructions,

To clear the error message and get the system working again you need to Full out the 5 amp, 16 amp and 40 Amp fuse in that order and replace them in the reverse order, all with the control unit on.

Did that and then restarted the unit and after about 10 mins of the system purging it started and is now running nicely :)

Thanks for all the suggestions, but am glad I didn´t in the end have to do any fuel sucking :D

Archived