Pateley Bridge,N Yorkshire:Thoughts on MH route?

pepe63xnotuse

Hi all..I'd appreciate some advice please.

We've got tickets for a Music/Beer festival being held at Harefield Hall,Pateley Bridge this coming weekend,and in view of the recent weather,I'd appreciate any feedback/thoughts from those who know/travel the area,as to which route(if any!)would be best suited for a MH?..

Setting off from Shropshire,I had originally thought of travelling up the M6 and either off at J29(onto M65,then up to Skipton and joining A59)or off at J31 and just following the A59 all the way...but does anyone have any first hand experience of the current state of these routes?

I've been keeping tabs on weather reports/forecasts(.and they seem to be saying there's more snow to come!)but because "they"(the media) tend to overreact on so many occasions when it comes to weather, it's not always easy to get "real world" information...

Any thoughts from "locals" would be appreciated... ;-)

Thanks

Just to add...if, come later in the week, there is still some doubt over the weather, I think that I'd probably not risk it(..there's little point in travelling up 3 1/2 hrs,only to get stuck a couple of miles from the event).

I am jct 27 M6 and can report that the roads around here are now clear and I would expect it to be the same on either of the routes you mention as I havent heard differently and I havent heard of more snow forecast for this week.

With regards to the routes jct 31 and A59 is a more scenic route in fact its a lovely drive and a reasonably good / fast road no problem for a MH of any length. M65 is a good motorway if your in a rush, you could get stuck in a bit of traffic through colne but doubtfull. I would guess there is about 20-30mins difference ie M65 20-30min quicker to destination.

No problem i will ensure that me tractors full of diesel and i will keep a pitch available just in case. Ha

if anything alters weather wise i will post an update.

Ps. Pack your thermals its freezing cold oop north.

Ian

Thanks for that link Jon'... ;-)

....it's showing "No Incidents" over Pateley Bridge at the moment. :-D .(..although I'm unsure whether or not it would show register any local, B road "blockages"? )

...closer to the time I'll contact the venue to see what their local/approach roads are like.... ;-)

On Sunday the only way out of Pateley Bridge was via Ripon - no use to us since the A66 was closed and we wanted to get to Glasgow without the legnthy detour via Edinburgh. So waited until Monday.

The BBC road report did not mention that the other 3 roads out of Pateley were open but impassable even in a 4 x 4 - we tried !

I hope you are not considering using Harefield Halls "camping field". The approach is via a couple of very tight hairpin bends on a gravel road and then a very low bridge under the ex railway. Cars can get through, but not anything taller.

aultymer - 2013-03-26 5:02 PM

On Sunday the only way out of Pateley Bridge was via Ripon - no use to us since the A66 was closed and we wanted to get to Glasgow without the legnthy detour via Edinburgh. So waited until Monday.

The BBC road report did not mention that the other 3 roads out of Pateley were open but impassable even in a 4 x 4 - we tried !

I hope you are not considering using Harefield Halls "camping field". The approach is via a couple of very tight hairpin bends on a gravel road and then a very low bridge under the ex railway. Cars can get through, but not anything taller.

Oh! 8-) .....so there's a possibility that I may need to loop around and approach from Ripon then...I must be honest,the last few miles of roads on the approach, looked very "minor" ,so I was a bit concerned as to what state they would be in..:-S

...I'll have to just check with the Hall later in the week...

As for where we are "camping",I'm led to believe by a mate who went in their Mh last year,that we just park on the Hall's access road..I hope....

As for where we are "camping",I'm led to believe by a mate who went in their Mh last year,that we just park on the Hall's access road..I hope....

I would advise a backup plan for camping!! Their drive is steep, narrow and doubles as a car park in places. Do not park beyond the hall itself unless you are good with hairpin bends on narrow roads. If you decide to go there, please walk it first!!

aultymer - 2013-03-26 8:52 PM

I would advise a backup plan for camping!! Their drive is steep, narrow and doubles as a car park in places. Do not park beyond the hall itself unless you are good with hairpin bends on narrow roads. If you decide to go there, please walk it first!!

Thanks very much for this "heads up",as I wasn't aware that access and pitching up was going to be such an issue.... :-S

I'll have a quick look just to see if there's anywhere I can pitch locally(.. "walkable" if possible).

Having said all of this,it may well all be academic now anyway,as the OH came home from work early ill yesterday.. :-S ..and I'm still trying to shift a heavy cold that I've had for over a week... *-)

So it's looking a bit touch and go anyway...

.....if you're a member of the C&CC, there just happens to be a DA meet on all weekend at the Showground in Pateley Bridge.

It's level ground, lots of space, on the edge of town, and about 1/2 mile walk from where you want to be. Surface might be a bit dodgy if it thaws, though there are some roads/harder patches.

Had a good weekend here at the end of last year at a DA meet.

That'd be ideal RobinH'..but unfortunately, we're no longer members.. :-S

..do you think we could get away with turning up and saying that we were thinking of "defecting"..? (lol)

I notice that there are a couple of CC CLs not that far away..but as I assume they'd be working farms,I should imagine with the recent weather,that they'd have more pressing priorities,than clearing some approach to some camping pitch(s)...

(...and I wouldn't particularly want to risk pestering some farmer, who had just lost umpteen lambing ewes to the severe weather... :-S )

pepe63 - 2013-03-27 11:39 AM

That'd be ideal RobinH'..but unfortunately, we're no longer members.. :-S

..do you think we could get away with turning up and saying that we were thinking of "defecting"..? (lol)

....well, you could always rejoin. ;-)

The Hall needs all the support it can get and the festival was great last year by all accounts

I helped push one of the small vans round the lower hairpin and did not like the smell from the clutch. (was living nearby and happened to be passing)

The showground would be my first choice for parking any kind of camper. There is a riverside footpath along the Nidd which takes you to the Hall saving you the climb up the road then down to the Hall.

I am on my way back from a site meeting in north Wales been snowing all morning but not sticking. Dont think we have anything bad forecast for weekend but we have had 2 pitcher canceled over Easter so some folk must be worried. :)

Hi ault'...

I've just had a chat on the phone with a lass from the Hall and when I asked about the access and pitching, her first words were, " ...best get here early.." followed by, "...don't worry,we've always got the 4x4..." 8-)

..I'm all for supporting small events(especially music events)but I'd like to think that anyone undertaking something like this, would consider basics like access/parking/pitching from the off?....just a pity that they couldn't have liaised with the C&CC and maybe sorted some way of both using the showground?... :-S

Sorry Ian, I crossed your post...

Yes, I initially thought that the weather would be the issue...and I hadn't considered that somewhere selling campervan/camping tickets, would have such "iffy" access....

If we did re-join the C&CC, what would be involved in getting onto this "DA meet" thing?...do you need to be signed up?...is it only for a certain a "regional group"?(or Chapters...like the back-patch bike gangs!(lol) )

or Chapters...like the back-patch bike gangs!(lol) )

Yeah mate you need to go through a rigourous initiation ceremony in order to rejoin. As CS owners we are able to put you through it, but I warn you now it aint pretty and the wife will never look at you in the same way again :-D

ips - 2013-03-27 1:52 PM

Yeah mate you need to go through a rigourous initiation ceremony in order to rejoin. As CS owners we are able to put you through it, but I warn you now it aint pretty and the wife will never look at you in the same way again :-D

.......or you at your wife in the same way.... 8-)

DA meets, like THS meets, don't generally require anything more than a membership card (pre-booking etc. is very uncommon). I usually give the on-site contact number (if there is one) a courtesy call in advance, and it's paid off a few times for busy sites, as they've kept us a space.

We keep C&CC membership up largely for the use of THS and DA meets for a combination of "interesting" locations and the lack of a need to book.

Unfortunately, it will be no help to you this weekend. Though the main website still shows the meet, the DA website shows it (not entirely surprisingly) as cancelled.

http://www.cydaonline.co.uk/info.php?ste=57

Sorry!

Oh well never mind eh,it's one less "option" for me to pester about... (lol)

Just had another look via google earth...and I just wonder if the showground and adjacent coach park,would be options,if the Hall turned out to be a real no go...

(..mind you,it would be for three nights,so that would be taking pi** a bit.. :-S )

ips - 2013-03-27 1:52 PM

You could always join us and if they give you any grief we'll send the girls round

Archived