NEED HELP WITH TRUMA COMBI 4

nickr77

Hi Guys,

Need help with Motorhome Truma Boiler 2 years old

After a few months and everything charged the reset on the Boiler will not reset or stay in.

I was under the impression that if water was not frozen and freely flowing with enough power the button should stay in and let the boiler work.

Can anybody help ASAP

Thanks Nick 07968842075

nickr77 - 2013-03-26 3:01 PM

Hi Guys,

Need help with Motorhome Truma Boiler 2 years old

After a few months and everything charged the reset on the Boiler will not reset or stay in.

I was under the impression that if water was not frozen and freely flowing with enough power the button should stay in and let the boiler work.

Can anybody help ASAP

Thanks Nick 07968842075

Hi Nick

I'm guessing you are referring to a Truma Combi 4E and that the 'button' relates to the red button (under a cover on the upper surface of the heater) that resets the overheating protection function relating to the heater's 230V capability? (If that's wrong, now's the time to say.)

Unfortunately, I can't usefully advise. These appliances are complex and there may be several possible reasons for this problem. The heater has fault-diagnostic LEDs, but you should have details of these as they are described in the Operating Instructions leaflet. If you haven't got that leaflet, it can be found here:

http://dealer.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma-Katalog/pdf_verzeichnis/30_000/34020_29300.pdf

(The trouble-shooting list is on Page 19 and "Overheating protection 230V" is mentioned on Page 17.)

By far your best bet would be to seek expert advice from the Truma UK technicians who will be able to talk you through the problem. The contact details are

Tel: 01283 586020

Email: technical@trumauk.com

I'm not sure if you're referring to the overheat reset button, or the dump valve.

I'll assume, given the current temperatures, that you're referring to the dump valve, and if so, much will depend on which version of the valve is fitted.

The older model valve, generally fitted to the previous C6000 series combi devices, was electrically activated, and if the heating was turned on, the dump valve would "hold" in the closed position. It was also possible, with this type of valve, to use a clothes peg round the "button" to hold the valve closed.

The newer model valve, however, generally fitted to those devices now formally named "Combi" (i.e. probably yours) is a "passive" device with no electric parts, and will dump at around 3 degrees C, and not re-engage until around 7 degrees C.

In order to close this latter type of valve in cold weather, you will have to raise the ambient temperature of the surroundings to the appropriate level (by running the heater in space heating mode if it is close enough to the valve) or alternatively find some way of holding the button in until the temperature has risen (I have a piece of wood that I can jam against the button to keep it closed, and then use water heating to raise the ambient temperature).

The two types of valve can be identified from the following pictures:

1354468398_OlderDumpValve.JPG.da8765f78fac3f978ef9188541dcb9fe.JPG

446843763_NewerDumpValve.JPG.21044965df8107835316523dd106d4a5.JPG

Robinhood is right , this can be a problem, particularly on PVC when the valve is fixed directly to the body shell. The cold steel that it's bolted to keeps it colder than is normally the case in a coach built where it's fixed to an insulated floor. I have had one in both a PVC and a coach built, in the coach built it performed well but in the PVC it was a constant problem. There is an electric heating element that can be fitted and I was contemplating fitting one myself but sold the van before I got round to it. I would suggest placing a hot water bottle or similar over the valve to encourage it to reset.

Archived