Avantgarde/autoquest

Guest Patrick

Guest Patrick
Mel B. in room to move was highly critical of the Swift 590RS because of its response to wind. We like the Swift/Bessacer/Ace models internally but don't like the big bulbous nose over the cab. I would be interested to hear of any others who feel the same. This puts the Compass Avantgarde/Eldis Autoquest next on our list - the 100 or 300 because we want four belted seats. Has anybody any experience of them, and which do you prefer 100 or 300.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Both the Compass Avantgarde 300 and Swift 590RS have been tested by MMM and/or by Which Motorcaravan (see MMM Buyers Guide list) and you should be able to get back-copies of the reports. WM's comparison review of a Swift 590RS Suntor versus a Vivanti V4S observed that "The heftier design of overcab also means that the Suntor is slightly more prone to crosswind buffeting than the Vivanti. Having said that, it still feels solid and reassuring on the road." All motorhomes will react to crosswinds. Exactly how savagely they react will depend on vehicle-design and wind strengths. A long wheelbase, tandem rear-axle motorhome with a low, aerodynamic shape (eg Hobby 700) would continue to be agreeable to drive in strong wind conditions that would cause grave concern to most drivers of shorter wheelbase, single-wheel, single rear-axle models with a high overcab side-profile. Mel B's much loved Rapido 709F, her decidedly unloved Swift 590RS and the Compass Avantgarde 300 are all built on basically the same SEVEL 3.20m mwb chassis. But the Rapido is 5.56m long and 2.67m high, compared to 6.16m/3.10m for the Swift and 5.82m/2.89m for the Compass. Also, besides being significantly shorter and lower than the other two designs, the Rapido has a sleek front with no overcab bulge. With a much reduced 'sail area', it stands to reason that the Rapido should be the nicer of the three to drive in windy conditions. I've not driven a 590RS in rough weather and, after studying the size and shape of the body and noticing the weighty rear-kitchen layout, I've absolutely no inclination to do so. Avantgarde 300 is a foot shorter and 8 inches lower than the Swift so it might handle gusts better, but it still won't be a patch on the Rapido. There's also the driver's fear-threshold to consider in this equation, plus his/her tolerance of a motorhome's unruly behaviour. I become very anxious when a vehicle starts darting about in high winds, but some people seem unconcerned by this. Our Herald was much the same size as an Avantgarde 300 but with a foot-longer wheelbase. It was fine to drive in normal windy weather and pretty much impervious to the abrupt movement some 'vans experience when being overtaken by (or overtaking) large commercial vehicles. But it seriously frightened me once in France (admittedly when the winds were so extreme that all cross-Channel ferries were cancelled for two days) to the extent that we parked for 24 hours until the weather improved. But plenty of other (braver) motorcaravanners in similar vehicles were still driving around apparently quite happily. I don't know how an Avantgarde 100 would handle in crosswinds - it's shorter than the 300 (good!), but so's the wheelbase (bad!) and it's near enough as tall. If you are going to be four-up, the payload for the 300 is probably OK, but the 100's seems marginal to me.

Archived