M/H Tyres

zak2442

You can buy or make Some covers to keep the sun and uv off them. Best advice is to use the van regularly do not let I it stand for more than a couple of weeks, regular use keeps the tyres supple, standing for any length of time put a high load on a small area of the tyre.

You can tell the age of any tyres exactly.

Just look on the sidewall for the little oval/lozenge shaped mark with a four-digit number inside it.

The numbers refer to the week number (starting in January) and year that the tyre was moulded.

Eh "0710" means the tyre was made in week 07 of year 2010.

Always worth checking the exact age of all the tyres on any vehicle you're being offered for sale. Opinions vary, but my vote goes for changing them if over 5 years old, as the rubber compounds begin to break down gradually when exposed to oxygen from the moment that they are released from the manufacturing mould, even if the tyre isn't fitted on a rim, or used on the road.

For this same reason, you should check the lozenge shaped date stamp on any " new" tyre that any garage is offering to sell you.

Again, opinions will vary but my personal vote is to reject the offer of any "new" tyre if the date stamp showed it to really be over 6 months old; and having been sat in a warehouse for that time.

Sometimes it is difficult to ascertain date of manufacture of the tyres, for example the tyres for my Hymer Van were fitted on the van with the date marks on the inside so they could not be easily read.

Wether this ploy was intentional or not I am unaware, but after having a tyre repaired it was checked for the date and this aligned with the build of the van, so all was well but I will need to change them next year.

Hi,You need to move the van every 3to4 weeks just a bit so that it stands on a new bit of rubber,or blow them up hard if not going to use it,also covers to stop the rays getting to them ,but if you park it up for a long time couple of months with the weight of the motorhome on the same bit of rubber this will make the walls very weak,regards H. (lol)

Archived