LD Lines/DFCS Ports-Le Havre

Tea Cup

in 3 weeks we hope to go to France from and to a western port. We normally go via LD Lines, but last time the overnight boat was much smaller, there were few cabins and not enough seating, so some old uns had to wander round the boat looking hopefully for seats. Brittany Ferries are so much dearer (unless anyone has a code they could PM), so would prefer LD.

Does anyone know if they have the same Ferry this year, or have they seen sense?

Otherwise it'll be Tesco vouchers and Eurotunnel, if I've got time to arrange.

We usually cross Dover Calais and have just done a trip to Portugal, 107 nights, out  December back Yesterday £88 return 7 .5  Motorhome, 1.5 hrs crossing, We live in Southampton so Portsmouth would be  best crossing but we don't want to spend 7 hrs. on a miserable ferry, so Dover Calais works for us, a  pleasant 24 hr. stay on the Aire at  Canterbury £2.50. and a leisurely drive from there to the ferry port at Dover 25 minutes ,that's the way to go  as far as we are concerned.

....the LD Lines website declares the "Norman Voyager" to be the current ferry on this route.

http://ldlines.co.uk/welcome-on-board/norman-voyager

Whilst not the smallest of ferries, from the pictures it looks as though it might have a limited amount of passenger accommodation.

The ferry companies' websites are not always up to date on which vessel is in use, but reference to the following site indicates that this vessel is indeed, currently as I post, approaching Portsmouth on the way from Le Havre.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

(zoom in to the area you wish to look at e.g. the English Channel, then look for vessels in the appropriate area, and hover over them for the name - clicking on them will give access to further details. A fascinating site - for shipping anoraks!).

vindiboy - 2013-03-28 8:00 PM

We usually cross Dover Calais and have just done a trip to Portugal, 107 nights, out  December back Yesterday £88 return 7 .5  Motorhome, 1.5 hrs crossing, We live in Southampton so Portsmouth would be  best crossing but we don't want to spend 7 hrs. on a miserable ferry, so Dover Calais works for us, a  pleasant 24 hr. stay on the Aire at  Canterbury £2.50. and a leisurely drive from there to the ferry port at Dover 25 minutes ,that's the way to go  as far as we are concerned.

Folkstonee/Dover for us is 3.5 hrs, Portsmouth 2.5 (daughter lives in Portsmouth so we get to see her), but we arrive on the east side of France then are driving to the west side of France (near the Pyrenees) so we essentially have to drive back east to west, so Le Havre suits. Later in the year we'll be going down the east side to Provence so will do Dover Calais or the Tunnel. But for the first trip we need to go straight to Bordeaux so Le Havre suits.

But as you say, the LD ferry is not the best, and not sleeping comfortably doesn't work too well for travelling long distances. Some reasonable seating would help, hence I was wondering if they have a different ferry this year.

Have you thought about Portsmouth to Cherbourg? We have done this route and found it very good-longier than Dover Calais of course but not as long as the overnight ferry. There is also a very nice aire 10 mins south of Cherbourg I would recommend.

Depending on the size of your van there is also the Fast Catamaran service which takes just 3 hrs and is very comfortable

Mike

Tea Cup - 2013-03-28 6:40 PM

Brittany Ferries are so much dearer (unless anyone has a code they could PM)....

You ought to be able to obtain a discount on Brittany Ferries crossings provided that you don't book direct with the company. You could try

http://www.newellstravel.co.uk/branch_mtc.php

You won't get the 30% discount available to Brittany Ferries "Club Voyage" members for UK-France crossings, but 10% discount should be obtainable.

Hi,

If you are a member of the caravan club you can sometimes get a good discount off Brittany Ferries prices if you book 7 camping cheques and pay in advance.(used to be called ITX)

I can let you have my Brittany members number otherwise for 10% discount if that helps.

Happy travels :-D

vindiboy - 2013-03-28 8:00 PM

This is in interesting, but personal point and one we have just considered. We recently had a trip to Paris and took the tunnel and were a bit surprised just how long the journey actually was. Like you I didn't want to spend ages on a slow, boring ferry, but it took 2.5 to 3 hrs to reach Folkstone (from Hamble, so just down the road from you), the crossing was superb, the a very long old trudge down to Paris, probably about 4.5 to 5 hrs.

When all said and done, and considering the roadworks on the M25/M20 we booked our next Paris trip (next Thursday) using the Pompey->Le Have on an overnight with cabin. Yes, it was also more expensive, but when you factor in the diesel costs and time, it worked out favourably.

I suppose if you are retired and time is no issue it might be different, but then I don't think hammering down a congested UK motorway with such a poor reputation for holdups and sub standard driving fun regardless of urgency.

I'll know shortly if we made the right decision.

sean.clarke - 2013-03-30 10:31 AM...................When all said and done, and considering the roadworks on the M25/M20 we booked our next Paris trip (next Thursday) using the Pompey->Le Have on an overnight with cabin. Yes, it was also more expensive, but when you factor in the diesel costs and time, it worked out favourably.....................

If you've used Le Havre before, you'll already know this, but if you plan on leaving Le Havre on the D6015 (Quai Colbert/Boulevard Winston Churchill), as seems most likely, don't, whatever you do, stray into the left hand (overtaking) lane as there are a succession of very low (and I mean low! :-) 2.5M!) underpasses at a number of road junctions.

The right hand lane/s are at grade, so slower, and you have to put up with the traffic lights/HGVs, but at least they won't convert your van to an open top bus! They are indicated, but are easy to miss if looking everywhere else for direction signs.

Once up to Harfleur, you'll be OK: the last one is some way before Harfleur, but difficult to be precise without giving street names for the crossings, which probably won't be much help to you.

Good advice as I know to my peril. I did't go through the tunnels but realised there was a problem when the dangling plastic above the road brushed the top of my van. Some awkward reversing was required but thankfully it was nightime so chaos was avoided. I had been through the tunnels with a caravan but a motorhome is that bit much higher.

sean.clarke - 2013-03-31 9:08 AM

Studied it on streetview, I can see what you mean - once again for the heads up, could have saved me a lot of stress!

You're welcome. We've been through in a car a few times, and they've always impressed me as low. I later heard of one poor soul with a caravan who missed the warning during the evening rush hour, and needed the police to help him reverse out of trouble! He wasn't very popular with the locals either!

John.N - 2013-04-01 9:46 AM

Romahomepete - 2013-03-30 9:57 AM

Travel on a Sunday and use Condors Portsmouth to Cherbourg Service (It only operates on Sundays)

Peter

Can't find it for May. Does it only operate in high season?

It starts 16th may on the Fastcraft at 16.00 and MTW at 09.00 Crossing takes 3 hrs but does have size restrictions so make sure you check before booking

Tried the Condor option and as been said not available this month, also found their website difficult to understand, since it did not seem to list a suitable choice for motorhomes, just motorbikes, minibus and cars. Does not seem motorhome friendly.

But I did book with LD Lines for this month at a cost of £52 one way! :-D So I'll take the risk of not finding a seat. Perhaps we'll take up some bedding and sleep in the isle, as others did last year. Health and safety......

But I do think LD Lines should use a better ferry. And better food.

We have used the Newhaven/Dieppe crossing since P and O gave up crossing from Portsmouth to Le Havre several (10?) years ago and were quite impressed by the new spanish built ferries 'Cote d'albatre' and 'Seven Sisters'. They are now looking rather shabby however, and are not very well looked after, loos not clean and broken fittings etc. On the plus side the crossing is a small 4 hrs and more handy than Dover for those living in the west, also the 20% seniors discount is worth having, (we could do with a bit more of that in the UK). Oh! and take your own picnic, despite(or because of) it being a french operation the food is dire. The shop is laughable too!

Going further back in time this crossing used to be a real treat in the 60s and 70s when the french railways operated the 'Villandry' and 'Valencay'. One spent nearly the whole crossing in the restaurant which was of an exceptionally high standard, which is hard to find in France itself these days, as far as I can remember it was not dear at all. One ate well too on Townsen Thoresen Southampton/Cherbourg.

Happy Days. :-D

Gosh that brings back some happy memories. I am unitholder with P and O but their fares have doubled this year which makes Le H or Dieppe more attractive. There are quite a few negative posts on this thread so should I rethink?

Patricia - 2013-04-03 1:44 PM

Gosh that brings back some happy memories. I am unitholder with P and O but their fares have doubled this year which makes Le H or Dieppe more attractive. There are quite a few negative posts on this thread so should I rethink?

It depends on your priorities. To me, the LD Lines ferry is not particularly aimed at the comfort of its passengers, and is possibly more biased to the large lorry market. It could do with more passenger accommodation, and with (much) improved catering. But it is cheaper, and for me is better suited to my preferred route. You don't have to eat on the boat, we normally buy a takeaway pizza first on the return journey. As for the overnight outward journey without a cabin, I hate it, my wife thinks it's acceptable. But then she doesn't have to drive the next day. And since the price was right, I'll have to bear it.

Try it and see.

Archived