B Class

Bill48er

I don't know what the background is to Hymer's classification system, but there have been B-class, C-class and S-class Hymer models.

The USA classifies motorised RVs as A, B, or C types as described here:

http://www.rv-coach.com/rv/types/classes/rv_types.html

This is almost certainly where the use in UK motorhome magazines of the term "A-class' (to indicate a motorhome with a coachbuilt body that does not include the the original cab) came from. It won't have anything to do with Hymer's model-classification system, nor will Hymer's system be based on size criteria.

Germany and France both have rational descriptive classifications for motorhomes - the UK has a hotch-potch of terms that are generally not meaningful.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-29 1:08 PM

I don't know what the background is to Hymer's classification system, but there have been B-class, C-class and S-class Hymer models.

They tend to play around with the model numbers of their basic cheaper ranges, C Class was also known as Swing usually applied to over cab bed models, The basic B Class was also known as "Classic" more recently as "CL" now they they just called "B Class". The "B Class SL" is the more upmarket version on a Fiat with Al-Ko chassis & double floor. The S Class were high spec Merc based A Class the modern equivalent is the Starline and a cheaper lightweight Merc based range the Starlight.

Low profiles were made in CL & SL versions they now only make the lower cost CL version. The Hymer van and the Exsis have no such designation but the spec is virtually the same as CL/B Class models.

I may not be completely right but it gives you some idea.

lennyhb - 2013-03-29 2:19 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2013-03-29 1:08 PM

They tend to play around with the model numbers of their basic cheaper ranges, C Class was also known as Swing usually applied to over cab bed models, The basic B Class was also known as "Classic" more recently as "CL" now they they just called "B Class". The "B Class SL" is the more upmarket version on a Fiat with Al-Ko chassis & double floor. The S Class were high spec Merc based A Class the modern equivalent is the Starline and a cheaper lightweight Merc based range the Starlight.

Low profiles were made in CL & SL versions they now only make the lower cost CL version. The Hymer van and the Exsis have no such designation but the spec is virtually the same as CL/B Class models.

I may not be completely right but it gives you some idea.

SWOT!!!!! :D (lol)

I think Derek meant to say that B stood for brilliant - certainly based on my experience they are. You will also see the Germans referring to coachbuilts as Alcove, low profile as Semi Integrated, and A class as Integrated.

Hymer are only expensive because of the exchange rate. Since I bought mine from new 8 years ago, the exchange rate has worsened by about the same as Hymer prices have increased. Hymer have somehow managed to build great vans and absorb the additional cost of producing better equipped vans now than when I bought mine. It's the exchange rate that makes Hymers bleeding lay expensive!

Sadly, they may be out of my reach now.

Brock - 2013-03-31 9:

It's the exchange rate that makes Hymers bleeding lay expensive!

That have gone up a lot but it's the rip of prices British dealer charge for them that makes them expensive. I didn't and would never buy a Hymer in the UK.

Brock - 2013-03-31 9:56 PM

I think Derek meant to say that B stood for brilliant ...

No I didn't!

When I was at an NEC Show some years back (when they had Press-only days and the salesmen had no incentive to sell) I was talking to a Brownhills rep and inquired whether the asking-price of a Hymer B-class model on their stand was justified compared to the significantly lower price of a similar concept Rapido they were offering. His view was that 50% of the Hymer's additional premium was probably justified, as the construction of the Hymer and specification was superior to the Rapido's, but the other 50% was because of the Hymer name.

I said that any motorhome manufacturer that couldn't be bothered to switch the windscreen-wipers from LHD to RHD pattern when targeting the UK market (which Rapido did with their A-class models and Hymer did not) deserved a kick up the bum, particularly as I'd read complaints from plenty of Hymer owners about the reduced visibility that resulted.

Then things got really entertaining, with the Brownhills rep saying that Hymer didn't give a hoot about customers, instancing a UK Hymer caravan owner being told by a Hymer-factory guy at a UK show that, if he had any negative observations about Hymer caravans, he should not have bought one.

"Have you ever been to a rally where there's a Hymer Club presence?" the Brownhills rep asked me. When I said I didn't rally, he said "It's like a weird Masonic meeting, with them congratulating each other on how clever they were to buy Hymers, and how marvellous Hymers are - it's like no other motorhome manufacturer exists."

Archived