Satnav lat & longditude

Steve H

Folks

I'm a neweby to this site, though have motorhomed in the USA and now looking to tour the UK & Europe in retirement.

Are there satnav's out there which have the facility of punching in a latitude and longitude as a destination?

Most of them do. My Tom Tom Start Full Europe does but just be aware that for some reason TomTom took this feature off some of the cheaper models. Mine was £100 so not expensive. Lat and Long is crucial for outside of the UK. Postcodes usually work ok in the UK but if France for example they cover a large area.

Most of them do. My Tom Tom Start Full Europe does but just be aware that for some reason TomTom took this feature off some of the cheaper models. Mine was £100 so not expensive. Lat and Long is crucial for outside of the UK. Postcodes usually work ok in the UK but if France for example they cover a large area.

I believe that any TomTom model with the simplified "Easy Menu" originally did not allow GPS coordinates to be input. I THINK that's no longer so and that all new TomTom sat-navs can now handle GPS inputs.

I would have thought all currently marketed sat-navs have this capability, but it would be wise to confirm that's the case before committing to a particular model.

Pete-B - 2013-03-29 7:05 PM

Hi,

I've got the TomTom Caravan & camper but still being a bit of a numpty regarding sat navs what is the advantage of using lat and long against post codes in this country?

Not a lot in the UK although some post codes in rural areas can be up to a mile out. Caravan club CL's are a prime example. However try asking some farmer at a CL for his Lat and Long! :-D

Generally if I tell somebody about a wild spot or location I post the GPS Lat and Long as its accurate to within a few feet.

Be aware that when putting in lat and lontitude in The Caravan Club book they have been provided by members, who tend to sit on their pitch and check on the sat nav, this therefore is not the actual gps of the Site, and can be misleading as the sat nav will want to direct you via the nearest point sometimes through a field or something similar. Where as ACSCI put theirs in at the Campsite entrance, also some of the formats are not consistent.

David Dwight - 2013-03-29 9:01 PM

Be aware that when putting in lat and lontitude in The Caravan Club book they have been provided by members, who tend to sit on their pitch and check on the sat nav, this therefore is not the actual gps of the Site, and can be misleading as the sat nav will want to direct you via the nearest point sometimes through a field or something similar. Where as ACSCI put theirs in at the Campsite entrance, also some of the formats are not consistent.

All their CL sites Long and Lat are wrong as well. They have used a program to convert the post codes to lat and long and as I mentioned earlier post codes cannot be totally relied upon in rural areas.

Folks

Thank you all for the feedback. Sorry I should have clarified - we intend touring Europe extensively once I retire and the latitude & longditude of some locations would be a huge advantage. Here at home traditional postcode or address works well.

Archived