In the beginning.....

nowtelse2do

Guest 1footinthegrave
nowtelse2do - 2013-03-29 2:13 PM

Someone was the first to use the Internet, who were they contacting (?) 8-) :-D

Dave

Can't answer the question exactly,except to say I remember way back when a friend tried to first introduce me to it he was using it to talk to other fans of The Archers, I think he was somewhat surprised I took no further interest after that for many years. :D

malc d - 2013-03-29 2:47 PM

Dave

The first website presumably.

;-)

Very Good malc :-D

Wonder which one that was. *-)

Dave

malc d - 2013-03-29 2:47 PM

Dave

The first website presumably.

;-)

Very Good malc :-D

Wonder which one that was. *-)

Dave

Just Googled it. "WorldWideWeb"

Guest 1footinthegrave

If memory serves me well, there were no websites as such when members of the public were first able to connect to inter connected computers, my friend who was very geeky left me completely in the dark when trying to explain what he was doing around 1986 I think using a modem to dial up and connect with other users.

:-S

It was way over most peoples heads at that time (!) Now you can do it on a phone :D

So I'll stick with my guess, two fans of the Archers :D

Dave225 - 2013-03-30 9:40 PM

It was all started by the US military and the 1st message was.....'where did you say the target was??'

Not quite Dave - I reckon the first message was probably more like -

'where did say the target was - never mind we've bombed everything within 100 miles of where our intelligence experts thought you might have meant to be on the safe side'

Dave225 - 2013-04-04 7:24 PM

You are probably right. My father in law was in the Army during WW2 and he, and all his mates were always scared to death when they were told ' the Yanks are providing support' That usually meant they got shelled.

My Dad's mate was a fuel tanker driver after D Day - I say tanker - really it was ordinary lorries filled with lightweight cans full of petrol - one guy driving and one on the roof as lookout - and their saying allegedly was -

When the RAF fly over Jerry takes cover and we cheer, when the Luftwaffe fly over we take cover and Jerry cheers, when the Yanks fly over nobody cheers and everyone takes cover.

Archived