bump starting diesels

Cattwg

During a recent conversation it was said that diesel motors should not be 'bump' started (ie: by pushing or towing) as this could cause damage. I was unable to persue this with the person making the statement, so could not determine why bump starting was problematic or what damage might ensue. With most modern MHs being diesel powered I am sure that if this statement is in fact true then it would be of interest to this forum. And, of course I am sure that the forum will be able to provide a definitive answer! Regards to all Cattwg.

I,ve never had any problems bump starting old diesel Land rovers. Perhaps if the battery is totally flat such that the ECU is not functioning then I could see a scenario where bump starting a modern common rail diesel wouldn,t work. Perhaps others more knowledgeable on this subject can throw some modern light in this topic??

Hi, I think the biggest problem with bump starting a diesel engine might lie in the fact that because of the higher compression ratios employed the engine would give more resistance to turning over and could, I suppose, damage engine mountings. The only other potential problem I can see is with an indirect engine that has heater plugs. If the battery is too flat to run the heaters to pre-heat the cylinders then it will take a lot of turning over to heat up the air on the cylinders sufficiently to fire the engine up. Dragging or pushing a 3 Tonne plus motorhome far enough and fast enough to bump start it could cause serious damage to those pushing/pulling! D.

Totally agree Dave, My previous experience was bumping a LR in third gear DOWN A HILL by releasing the parking brake. No way was anyone going to push it - unless it was of course with a long rope and it was for charity. If the MH battery goes belly up I will replace it or just to get me started parallel the 160 AH rather special batteries used for Leisure. See you next week C.

we were advised not to leave the van in gear on ferries, [normally they recommend that you leave in gear - handbrake on - alarm off]; when we asked why we were told that it avoided risk of bump starting which apparently can damage the engine. B-)

Just had an intresting experience with a Vauxhall Vectra diesel car the owner had unfortunately put in £20 of petrol and driven it till it stopped! A chap had drained out the fuel and refilled with diesel but we could not get it started we towed the car around a field and then about 2miles on the road and although we managed to get diesel to the injectors we could not get it started! Finally as all men do we looked at the handbook and it said that 2litre Vectras had to go back to the Vauxhall agent to be bled and started! Can anyone tell me what they do to start these diesels? We also had a Scania truck in our yard which had run out of diesel and were imformed by the local agent that in order to bleed it we had to pump the lift pump 178 times!!!!!! Why are things so complicated no???? Regards Pat

Whilst working for a local courier company (late 90s early naughties but with a fleet of mainly mid 90s trannies (the vans not the drivers!!)) we occasionally had to bump start them. we used to pick the back end up on the fork truck, drive them across the yard and drop them once the fork truck was at max velocity (about 5 MPH), it sounds brutal but it never failed and never snapped a timing belt, they always failed just as you pulled up to traffic lights or road junctions! Great thing about the old 2.5 DI lump was it never bent valves but the pushrods, just replace the belt and pushrods, regap the valve clearances and away you go!!! D.

Archived