Leisure Battery Housing for Carioca Motorhome

Sambo

Yes I am getting there slowly Brambles.I am considering putting a toggle switch from the Negative side of the battery (inline) back to the charging unit when plugged into an electric hookup on site so as to prevent a reoccurence of a second exploding battery.I am getting a bit paranoid *-) Do you think doing that is feasable ? Your views would be welcome

Yes it is. Put it in the main negative feed from the battery so it completely isolated the battery on the negative side. As youhae an AGM battery then presum,ambly you habe no vent tube now which means fumes can collect near the battery under fault comditions or oever charge. SO mount it away from the battery and use a switch which is enclosed... A proper battery isolation switch is fine albeit a lot beefier than really needed.

Personally I would have gone for a flooded battery with provision for a vent tube. Anyway, the AGM should not vent under normal conditions.

It is a very good idea to have a switch for a few reasons. You can completly isolate the battery when laid up for long periods so there wil be no quiescent curremt drain so no need to keep topping up teh charge. You can also isolate it when staying in hook up for long periods so after say 12 hours or it is fully charged you can isolate it. Often I isolate just afer an hour or two as battery is well charged from a long drive. If something goes wrong electrically as some items are permanently connected, you can isolate.

To reiterate, put the switch in all feeds from the battery for complete isolation.

Some motorhomes have problems isolating the battery but these are ones with solar panel controllers mainly where the solar regulator requires the battery to be connected BEFORE the solar panel . The answer there of course is a second switch on the panel.

Archived