Which motorhome?

zeusastra

Hello! Please can anyone help me.....I'm a first time buyer, and looking to by a second hand motorhome. I really love the layout of the Bessacarr E540, but as it's British made and RHD, it's not available in Spain where I live. Can anyone recommend a make/model similar to this motorhome, available in LHD on the continent? I'm looking to spend approx £30,000. Thank you in advance for any advice given.

Well, by sheer coincidence, there's a LHD one for sale here: http://tinyurl.com/dxtx5cs It's a 2007 model, and its right on your budget. If it's really what you want, it must be just about the only one around, so possibly worth following up.

Beyond that, I think you'll struggle because, although it is a fairly popular layout type in UK, it is not generally very much used on the continent. Most continental vans tend towards fixed beds, simpler kitchen blocks, and more outdoor living. It is the wind, and the frequency of cool, damp, weather in UK, that creates the demand for lounge comfort, ovens, and comfort inside, which results in this preference for convertible settee layouts.

So, if you want a UK layout with LHD, I think this is your bird. Otherwise, to be honest, I think you'll have to review your layout preferences, and veer towards what is available in Spain.

Germany is the largest market, and has the greatest availability of used motorhomes at probably the best prices, but I seem to remember another forum member, BGD, who also lives in Spain, saying that importing motorhomes into Spain is a bureaucratic nightmare, or words to that effect, requiring patience, tenacity, and pretty well fluent Spanish. If you are living in Spain you will have presumably taken residency, or whatever, so I think will have to register and insure your vehicles in Spain. Unless I'm mis-remembering what BGD said, therefore (always possible! :-)), I think buying in Spain may well be the simplest and quickest solution, though I don't think you'll get that type of layout.

Hi Brian

Thank you very much for your reply. I saw the LHD one advertised in the UK but thought it was expensive for the year? I'm a complete novice I'm afraid, and don't want to be 'ripped off' but noticed that for the same money there were newer models (albeit RHD) Also, it appears that although it's LHD, the access door is on the right, which I think will be a problem for importing, as it opens on the wrong side of the vehicle when parked. I don't mind a fixed bed layout if the bed isn't too high, and it faces towards the front. We rented a Kentucky Camargue SG recently, and although it had adequate living space, the bed was far too high and uncomfortable. Unfortunately, there aren't too many options in motor homes in Spain, due to very little interest by the populace in general. Most second hand vehicles are imported from Germany or France. I speak Spanish and will be making enquiries into importing one soon. Can you recommend a decent fixed bed make/model? I know of Hymer, Burstner & Dethleffs, but they all seem to be very expensive even with 10yrs+ and over 100.000kms on the clock. If you give me any advice on what to avoid, that would be much appreciated too. I've discovered there's going to be a lot of compromising needed. Buying a motor home is a mine field it seems! Thanks again ;-)

Archived