Camperstops Website

sambukashot

Hi Everyone,

I am busy updating my website this easter weekend to a new design/look with a better search engine and new map for finding motorhome stopover locations.

If anyone has a few minutes i would appreciate your thoughts & comments before i do more work on the site, on the demo page i have set up 6 locations to test out.

The link to use is http://www.camperstops.co.uk/index.php/en/home-page/testing

Thanks in advance

Waiting for your ideas and thoughts

Keith

Hi Keith just had a quick try on your site, could be me that got it all wrong! but I clicked on the drop down box "Location Type" selected "Town" and got a message " No information to be displayed" this was outlined in red on a blue background, scrolled my mouse cursor over the blue background, picture then went smaller and the blue background was actually the sea off the coast of Papua New Guinea.

My apologies if it's me that's got it all wrong.

Regards

Phil

myshell - 2013-04-01 9:14 PM

Hi Keith just had a quick try on your site, could be me that got it all wrong! but I clicked on the drop down box "Location Type" selected "Town" and got a message " No information to be displayed" this was outlined in red on a blue background, scrolled my mouse cursor over the blue background, picture then went smaller and the blue background was actually the sea off the coast of Papua New Guinea.

My apologies if it's me that's got it all wrong.

Regards

Phil

I think you've selected the "Yes" option in the "Suitable for RV's" box (which ought to be "Suitable for RVs" (no apostrope) incidentally ;-) ) as doing that seems to produce the Papua effect you've mentioned.

Presumably "Suitable for RVs" means a place where massive motorhomes can 'stopover', but I've not checked if there's a definition on the camperstops website to confirm that interpretation. If there are no RV-suitable locations in a selected area, provided a map of the ocean around Papua would be an odd default choice, but this is a beta application so I don't know how it's supposed to react, or whether how the test application reacts will match the reaction of the full-house version.

Hi Derek,

I used the term "Suitable for Rvs" as you pointed out for larger/longer motorhomes, do you have any ideas that you would like to see displayed instead, this one also has me puzzeled as i do not want to make the search too complicated for the user.

My first thoughts were filtering by length i.e. 6-7 Meters, 7-8 Meters, Over 8 Meters but this could get very messy in the long run and if i later add a new stopover that have not seen myself how would i know what length will fit into bays unless i can see a photo.

I am open to suggetions from everyone!

Thanks again and keep them coming

P.S. You can now get driving directions & distance from one mapped location to the next, with toll road or without toll roads! This will be handy for a lot of users im sure

Hi,

Just had a quick look and when I click on a location the "lightbox" has scroll bars so needs to be larger. I'm using Chrome on a Macbook Pro.

Also in the filter options shouldn't the country choice be above the state/department and what if I want to check all types of aires ? What are the default values?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Point taken about the lightbox this needs some fine tuning but i might do away with lightbox as have a better a idea in the pipline

You are correct about showing "all the aires" will fix this one straight away! as for the order of the search fields i will straighten them out when i have the final features all in place :)

its great to get all your feedback, when i am working away it is easy to miss out the sometimes obvious points at the time :(

Thanks again...

sambukashot - 2013-04-02 10:29 AM

Hi Derek,

I used the term "Suitable for Rvs" as you pointed out for larger/longer motorhomes, do you have any ideas that you would like to see displayed instead, this one also has me puzzeled as i do not want to make the search too complicated for the user.

My first thoughts were filtering by length i.e. 6-7 Meters, 7-8 Meters, Over 8 Meters but this could get very messy in the long run and if i later add a new stopover that have not seen myself how would i know what length will fit into bays unless i can see a photo.

I am open to suggetions from everyone!

Thanks again and keep them coming

P.S. You can now get driving directions & distance from one mapped location to the next, with toll road or without toll roads! This will be handy for a lot of users im sure

As it's your website, I suggest you either pick a size-dimension that would generally be considered "large", or drop the option altogether. 8-metres in length would be a reasonable criterion and you could change your "Suitable for RVs" to "Motorhome > 8.0m long". Me, I'd ditch that selection option as I think it's gilding the lily, and (as you've pointed out) you risk providing inaccurate information in the future.

Hi Steve,

I have merged all the aires together which looks a lot better and is a lot easier on the eye.

You can see which ones are free or paid by the colour of the flag marker and you also get a "£" sign next to the aire description to donate it's a paid one.

I now have a direct link to the page:

http://www.camperstops.co.uk/index.php/en/motorhome-stopover-locations-map

Well i have finally got around to sorting out the search filters on the new website, now it is very easy to find motorhome stopover location places very quickly with little fuss :)

Now i just have to start loading all the locations from the old map into the new one!

Here it is: http://www.camperstops.co.uk/index.php/en/motorhome-stopover-locations-map

Archived