Unwanted phone calls

Colin Leake

We seem to get a vast number of these of late for some reason. I've taken to telling them in a very polite voice that I'd love to talk to them but unfortunately I'm in the middle of having sex with a Donky! Usually generates a stunned silence at the other end. I can only assume that the response is not one covered by their crib sheets!

Sounds good, but beware you do not then receive a visit from Her Majesty's Plods wanting to know what you are doing with said donkey??? Plus the Animal Rights loonies may decide to firebomb your home just for fun. Remember some of these people have no sense of humour and the PC brigade will always demand answers.

Possibly some of the calls originate from websites you ahve looked at as many of them, even although you do not actually make a purchase, log your details and sell them on. Be very wary of so called comparison websites as these automatically pass on your details to 3rd parties. You do not get an opt out choice as this is in the small print, which of course you never read, like many of us.

Saw a gadget on QVC last night which screens these type of calls out. Plugs into the phone socket and phone plugs into the little box. When a call comes through there is a message that says that they are trying to put you through but the recipient then just presses the #key and then the call is rejected. The unit remembers the number so that call will never be put through again. For calls that you want to get through then you press the *key and again the unit remembers the numbers that you have sanctioned. It is a bit pricey at £90+ but if you are constantly bombarded with these calls then it would probably be worth it.

By the way, we also get nuisance calls here in France but as soon as you ask them if they speak English they hang up, unfortunately we had one last week and he could speak perfect English.

I have the same problem with calls in France and they actually come through to my computer in the UK. When I am in France and answer one of them, I usually say, in French, "this is just a holiday home" and invariably they sign off very politely.

Technically our phone system can be set to block such calls but to avoid blocking ones that you may well want to take it is necessary block each individual number and since the callers keep changing their number it not worth the effort. Most seem to come through when we are heaving our evening meal so I simply put the phone handset on the table so that I don't have to get up. I can't be bothered really. If they want to waste time money and effort calling me that's their problem. I do wonder what sort of success rate they have. Presumably enough to make the operation worth while or they would not do it.

Don't worry about the donkey. HE loves it!

Guest pelmetman
Colin Leake - 2013-04-01 4:40 PM

Don't worry about the donkey. HE loves it!

Do you have his number?...........and is he prepared to travel :$

I'm sure there are a lot of forum contributers, sitting by their phone hoping someone will call, anyone would do. Maybe when the phone rings for once take the trouble to talk to them and get to know them, after all they are human like you.. 8-)

Archived