French trip

Charlie boy

It took us 2 weeks to get there, we love France and there are so many great Aires to use on route so why rush? of course we are retired and have all the time in the world and I realise not all of us have the same time to use, you know that there is an Aire at Oradour I guess.

Guest 1footinthegrave
vindiboy - 2013-03-31 2:14 PM

It took us 2 weeks to get there, we love France and there are so many great Aires to use on route so why rush? of course we are retired and have all the time in the world and I realise not all of us have the same time to use, you know that there is an Aire at Oradour I guess.

And yes a very good one at that, but keep it to yourself, just a shortish walk to the village and memorial. ;-)

The road in the picture is just a loop serving the Aire, and just playing fields behind, a very restful place to stop over. ;-)

OradourAire.jpg.aa3e6361149e62b037cecf4ba34f1237.jpg

Guest 1footinthegrave
Barryd999 - 2013-03-31 5:04 PM

If the Aires busy or full there is an even nicer one at Javerdat 2 miles down the road.

Its a harrowing experience I thought. I just left feeling really angry about it all.

Careful now,you'll have the anti aire brigade out, :D

But I obviously agree with your sentiments, and although nowhere near Oradour, Le Struthof concentration camp was another very sobering experience, left completely as it was,with medical experiment room, and crematoria in the same hut, despite the nature of it highly recommended for a visit. Given the beautiful mountainous surroundings it's set in, only makes it even harder to take it all in.

• 2 weeks later...

We encountered Orador more or less by accident and arrived late at night. As we drove to the aire we noticed that motorhomes were parked on the main carpark by the village, the car park at the tourist information centre, and then found the aire which was chock a block full. We spent a peaceful night on the main carpark before visiting the village. An experience we will never forget.

AGD

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mike B. - 2013-04-10 4:32 PM

Here is a bit of info re Oradour.

As a matter of interest, the aire is free there and services €2 when we were there (Tokens from TIO in the village square) The entrance to the old village is also free, but gets very hot in the summer-take a bottle of water with you as there is no shop or anything inside.

Mike

http://www.oradour.info/ruined/ruined.htm

8-) 8-) 8-)

Archived