Fiat Suspension

howie

2003 2.8 L.W.B high top camper van, 21000 m. Having just had a leaf spring snap on my van set me thinking if the single leaf was up to the job. I know two leaf variants leave the factory on this model but wether they are destined for the building trade etc. as opposed to camper vans i don,t know. Previous vans have included a 1997 Peugot Autostratus (3 leaf) and a 86 twin wheel self build Transit (4 leaf). This is why i have my doubts on this current Fiat. Hopefully this was just a one off, but if anyone has experienced the same problem or has an opinion on this subject their views would be more than welcome. Howard.

Hi Howard, The only time I have had a spring break was on my 1938 Morris eight, no I didn't buy it new!! As the springs are tempered, it can be just bad luck that yours failed, or perhaps a shock absorber is bad, easily checked, is the bump stop missing or soft? Have a look at http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/AirSusp/airsuspension03.htm I had Mark fit this air assisted suspension to my camper, an easy job for a DIYer if you don't mind getting under the van. It improves the ride and takes the load off the springs. Regards Terry

Morning Terry. Before fitting the new leaf I gave the rest of the suspension parts a thorough inspection. Everything looks in good order and I think the problem was confined just to this leaf spring. The thought of fitting one of the various suspension aids on the market had crossed my mind, and my Brother in law has the one you mentioned on his Amethyst. His main concern was to improve the way his van handled and conered etc. In this respect he tells me it does exactly what he hoped for. Due to cost, the new leaf is not a genuine Fiat part so I think i,ll see how it goes for now. Getting back to having just the one leaf on this size van. Do you think its enough, or as you said just bad luck. Howard.

Hi Howard, If the spring breakage was due to bad tempering, and the other spring was from the same batch, it might be worth considering replacing both - just in case. I do wonder that if you replace only one spring, the older spring may have lost some of its strength or will have different characteristics. It might be worth you looking at the web site below :- http://threads.lro.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=SeriesTechnical&Number=301744&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&part=2 It seems that a stacked spring will give a better ride, but I think that would depend on loading. Regards Terry

It is generally accepted wisdom that suspension components, such as springs and shocks, should be replaced as a pair on each axle. If you replace only one spring or shock on, for example, a six year old vehicle then one side will be brand new and full of "spring" so to speak while the other will be certainly a bit "tired" and this could lead to strange handling traits. What price safety? D.

Had a look at the website you recommended Terry. Ouch. And there was me thinking the words leaf spring, shock absorber and bushes had the whole subject covered. I did glean enough information however to conclude that a single leaf is acceptable for my van. Dave. After fitting the new leaf, I had a chat with my local garage re. the proven wisdom of renewing in pairs. He asked the age and mileage, and if there were any problems with the ride. Given the the circumstances he said to leave things as they were and just keep an eye on things for a while. thanks for your input. If nothing else, my educations taken anther big leap forward. Howard.

Archived