saneftolling sensor

Iain Strachan

Hi all, We have just received this sensor for using on French Toll roads, it will save the Pussy Cat getting in and out of the cab to collect the ticket and pay the bill. However I am having difficulty fixing it to the recommended area behind the rear view mirror as it will foul the blinds when trying to close them. Will it work elsewhere on the windscreen as I don't know if the Boxerscreen has an athermic coating or not?

Happy touring in 2013 all.

Enjoy

Iain Strachan - 2013-04-07 2:47 PM

Thanks Pauline, Our blinds come in on rails from each side, so would leave a big gap, bigger than my tea towel!

Cheers

That's a shame, never mind you will find a solution. Maybe just put on windscreen when on Motorway??

I very much doubt that you have an athermic windscreen. They have a blue cast on them when viewed from the outside.

The sanef tolling website gives advice on where to fit the sensor on most vehicle types.

If your base vehicle is a Fiat you will almost certainly find that the bottom rail for the blinds is further away from the windscreen than the top one. If not perhaps you can move the top rail away from the windscreen. It's only secured by two screws in the centre mount.

Keith, the sanef web site will give you all the details, basically there is a charge for the sensor which is refundable, and a charge of 5 euro per month up to a max of 10 euro per year. Plus of course the toll. Use the lanes with the T above them is my understanding. Bill is paid by DD. from a UK bank account.

Be very carefull about how much they charge you, as the only suitable exit for a campervan with the "T" above is the truck lane, you may be charged class 3 or above and not class 2. as these units are not specific to one vehicle, you can move it from car to van to truck, all charged at diferent rates. I suggest you check at the first office you come to.

Good luck.

Hi,

Class 3, 4 are not permitted in the scheme

What is Liber-t?

Liber-t is the French national télépéage scheme for light vehicles operated by the members of ASFA, the association of French motorway operators on behalf of the French government. The scheme operates across the entire autoroute network and a Liber-t tag can even be used to pay for parking at some car parks. The Liber-t scheme is for light and intermediate vehicles and motorcycles only (i.e. vehicle classes 1, 2 and 5). Vehicles over 3.5t GVW* and more than 3m tall are not eligible for the Liber-t scheme but are covered by the TIS-PL (Télépéage Poids Lourds) scheme. Unfortunately, Sanef Tolling UK are unable to supply tags for the TIS-PL scheme. We are working with our sister company Eurotoll to try and come up with a service for consumers (not commercial) who have class 3 and 4 vehicles (e.g. large motorhomes) but at the moment this is not possible.

Ray

Nigel, I have read the web site many times and the sensors are issued for vehicles under 3 mtrs high and up to 3.5 tons. You need to apply for a commercial sensor, for bigger vehicles. We have used the toll roads in France very often and as well as the height barrier lanes for cars, usually the left side of the plaza there are always T lanes with no height barriers. Also usually far right lorry lanes that allow approach at a slightly walking pace. In the last few years we have always paid class 2. But I will check my bill of course.

Cheers

Iain I think you have forgotten to mention the deposit you have to pay so that the first payment is quoted as 39€. You only receive the deposit back when you no longer want the sensor.

For forum members who have a French bank account (don't think a French address is necessary) you can join SANEF on the French website or visit one of their agencies: no deposit, 1.6€ only for the months you use it, an extra support for another vehicle 2€.

Patrica, I did say that there is a charge for the sensor which is refundable. I just didn't mention how much it was! Wish I had known about the French bank account though as I do have one of those. After our first try at using this I will look at changing.

Thanks for the info,

Cheers

I stopped at the SANEF agency at Aire de Vironvay-Nord on the A13 on Friday. No need to actually be on the A13 as there is a pedestrian entrance and car park on the main road which was the N15 (sorry not sure of number now, but possibly 6015?). Inside the restaurant area there is a space dedicated to the sale of these "badges", as the French call them, under the title of "Bip and Go". There are other places to purchase them and details can be found on their website.

You do not need a French address but must have a French bank account, for which they will require a RIB (bank details). You will also need to show a piece of identity. No money was asked for as it will be taken from the French account for which you set up a DD. There are several choices but I chose the "a la carte" which is the scheme for infrequent use and the cost is 1.6€ per month during the months of use; other months are free. There is no deposit to pay but an activation fee of 10€. No other charges, if you choose to view your invoices online, except for the tolls themselves. I was offered a choice of colours for the badge! I also requested a second support to move the badge into the motorhome (this time I was travelling by car). The badge slides easily into, and out of, the support. I was also supplied with a special small bag in which to store the badge when not needed. The badge was activated immediately and I drove round to the motorway peage. In a car the dangling metal over the Liber-T lane was a bit intimidating and I thought the "bip" was not going to happen as I had to drive quite slowly to the barrier. However, there are some lanes that can be approached at 3o or 50 kph but I didn't see one.

For those who have read my posts re my motorhome being incorrectly charged as classe 3, because I have a dome on the roof, the lady assured me that I would no longer have that problem. I will see in August!

It is certainly a brilliant piece of technology for those of us who travel alone and hate being blasted from behind by irate lorry drivers while getting out to pay, and in my case, to use the phone!

Archived