Nice Upgrade from Gas-It

kelly58

gocro - 2013-04-08 6:26 PM

Grrr,brilliant offer,pity I bought mine just 3 weeks ago. Their kit is all the same as Gaslow just cheaper.

Although GAS-IT's 11kg and 6kg 2-hole refillable bottles are claimed to be the same specification as Gaslow's and may well be cheaper, some of GAS-IT's installation-kit is cheaper than Gaslow's because the specificaton is technically inferior. For example, GAS-IT filler-hoses are 'rubber', whereas Gaslow's are stainless-steel sheathed.

Having said that, the current 'special offer price of GAS-IT's 13kg 4-hole bottle is undeniably attractive.

Looking at the 11kg and 13kg bottles there is very little difference in size:

11kg refillable bottle

Gaslow's figures say approximately 21 litres (at 80% full) - should this be 16.8 litres???

550mm high x 304mm diameter

empty weight: 10.7 Kg approx

13kg refillable bottle

I assume approximately 21.6 litres (at 80% full) ?

560mm high x 300mm diameter - I assume this is with the carry-handle/collar removed?

empty weight: no idea!

So I from the above I think there is something wrong with the tank sizes and their capacity figures as there can't be only .6 of a litre difference can there?

Gasits 11kg Cylinder when empty takes 21 ltrs.

Regarding connecting arms, whilst I am not saying anything about braided reinforced hose it should not be considered to be there for life and needs changing just as a normal EN/BS spec rubber hose.

Its the composition of the hose that's important.

To me the 11kg cylinder looks the same physical size as a 13kg (doing a comparison here at home)

Mel B - 2013-04-08 7:10 PM

Looking at the 11kg and 13kg bottles there is very little difference in size:

11kg refillable bottle

Gaslow's figures say approximately 21 litres (at 80% full) - should this be 16.8 litres???

550mm high x 304mm diameter

empty weight: 10.7 Kg approx

13kg refillable bottle

I assume approximately 21.6 litres (at 80% full) ?

560mm high x 300mm diameter - I assume this is with the carry-handle/collar removed?

empty weight: no idea!

So I from the above I think there is something wrong with the tank sizes and their capacity figures as there can't be only .6 of a litre difference can there?

I believe you meant to say "GAS-IT's figures say approximately 21 litres...", not "Gaslow's figures..."

A 21litres (80%) fill-capacity sounds about right - it's the same figure Gaslow quotes for their 11kg canister.

It would be technically possible to have two gas-bottles with identical height and diameter dimensions, but with one capable of holding 11kg of LPG and the other 13kg. All you'd need is less 'curve' on the latter's upper and lower surface. I'm not saying that's the case with the GAS-IT bottles, just that it's a possibility.

However (as you point out) there is something odd about GAS-IT's capacity figures for the two bottles. Even if one takes the fill-capacity of the 13kg bottle as 22.5litres and adds 20%, although that calculation would produce a 27litres 100% filled capacity, 22.5litres of propane still won't weigh much more than 11kg. GAS-IT may be able to offer a plausible explanation.

Despite the potentially wonky statistics, getting a 4-hole bottle at a 2-hole bottle price must be a good deal. Even if the capacity of the GAS-IT 13kg bottle has been overstated, at least its contents-gauge should provide realistic information.

Archived