CAM BELT AGAIN

Mickt

Hi

I have the 2.3 JTD on a 2004 reg. vehicle, my belt replacement cost £450. Job done by approved Fiat dealer who said that the 2.3 was far more expensive than the 2.8. They say they charge around £250 for the 2.8 engine. Really made my day to be told that :-(

Hi all

Had my cam belt changed yesterday on my 2003 Peugeot 2.8HDI. Price with intermediate service was £324. Was going to have the water pump done at the same time after reading all the advice on here and listening to the mechanics advice. But they phoned me up later to tell me that they had found on this model the water pump was easy to access so would not change it unless I wanted them to so I didn't bother with this additional expense.

If you want to pay top notch prices, have it done at a Fiat garage ! had my 05 boxer done by diesel mechanic for £120 + parts (£65). did not bother with water pump because of low milelage. When will people stop being ripped off, ALWAYS shop around.

memlewis - 2013-04-08 7:48 PM

Hi

I have the 2.3 JTD on a 2004 reg. vehicle, my belt replacement cost £450. Job done by approved Fiat dealer who said that the 2.3 was far more expensive than the 2.8. They say they charge around £250 for the 2.8 engine. Really made my day to be told that :-(

I was told similar when I had my 2 ltr Ducato timing kit replaced and a full service for £620 3 years ago. They said as the van was over 5 years old they did not carry spares in the UK and had to get them from Italy. The timing belt kit alone was £170 plus vat.

People will say that Fiat dealers rip you off but I was new to motorhoming and as i was going to travel to the south of France it was worth it for the peace of mind to know it had been done by someone who knew what they were doing and it has served me well for the past three year.

When the belt is due to be changed again I will take it to 'my trusted local garage' and see how it goes.

Interesting to read these comments. I do know of a few cases where 'cheap' or should I say cheaper cambelt jobs have been done both on cars and vans. Indeed some of these have proved not so cheap in that the new cambelts have failed and then a lengthy and not always successful claim for compensation has resulted.

I wil always take my car and van to the main dealer for jobs such as a timing belt change. I am aware of the higher price that this will incur but I regard this price as including insurance against catastrophe.

We pays our money and takes our chance.

Best to shop around the local garages. Fiat will always cost more as you are paying for their huge overheads etc. I found the nearest garage to me was quite cheap and they replaced the tensioners etc. The local bus depot was also quite competitive, both of them a lot cheaper than Fiat.

Tin Man - 2013-04-10 7:49 AM

Interesting to read these comments. I do know of a few cases where 'cheap' or should I say cheaper cambelt jobs have been done both on cars and vans. Indeed some of these have proved not so cheap in that the new cambelts have failed and then a lengthy and not always successful claim for compensation has resulted.

I wil always take my car and van to the main dealer for jobs such as a timing belt change. I am aware of the higher price that this will incur but I regard this price as including insurance against catastrophe.

We pays our money and takes our chance.

After the first few years of both our van and car I started using independent garages. Which was fine as long as it was routine service work. But after a couple of bad experiences I now use the dealers where I know they will use the right parts and have access to all the technical back-up. Yes it costs more but in the overall cost of running a van it is not a huge amount.

Please do not be deluded by the main dealer syndrom is always the best. Just think back to the controversy that followed a main MH dealer(Brow-----) about total lack of service. Remember its the mechanic who is the key factor whom may well have worked for a Fiat main dealer so brings all his knowledge with him. When you visit a garage you can always get a feel for the place and ask about.

A major contributor to this forum is an individual business who probably has more knowledge about Fiat than many. Its all about what you are happy with and prepared to spend.

sshortcircuit - 2013-04-10 9:39 AM

...... Its all about what you are happy with and prepared to spend.

Exactly.

I am happy to save 29p a day for 5 years and use Fiat Professional staff and genuine equipment. I am happy to know that should a problem occur then my chances of compensation are far greater than using 'Bodgit & Scarper'.

The Fiat Professional garage that I use is recommended by MMM by the way. (Base Vehicle Servicing booklet).

Granted, some on here may well know and trust a particular garage. I don't.

Some people on here think they know better than others, they don't.

I would suggest trying either BT fleet services or the local Ambulance service,they have now diversified into vehicle servicing and MOTs especially large vehicleS.

I had the fan belt changed on my 2.5td Fiat based Hymer using Genuine Fiat spares and the replacement followers/tensioners bearing failed after 300 miles!

I had my 2008 Fiat 2.3 multijet cambelt changed @ Adams Morey (Fiat Main Dealer) near Southampton,

(a) Camshaft Drive Set

(b) Trans Belt

© Aircon Belt

£400.62 inc Vat

I have no objection for paying a little extra at Fiat for the experience and peace of mind. When my motorhome was 12 months old I took it to a so called independant dealer, they missed the oil leaking from the gearbox driveshaft and water ingress around 2 window on the habitation side, never again :-(

Guest pelmetman
Tin Man - 2013-04-10 12:30 PM

Exactly.

I am happy to save 29p a day for 5 years and use Fiat Professional staff and genuine equipment. I am happy to know that should a problem occur then my chances of compensation are far greater than using 'Bodgit & Scarper'.

The Fiat Professional garage that I use is recommended by MMM by the way. (Base Vehicle Servicing booklet).

I used to trust my main dealer once..................until a problem occurred ;-)

pelmetman - 2013-04-10 12:53 PM

Exactly.

I used to trust my main dealer once..................until a problem occurred ;-)

Yes the "Bodgits" have nice big shiny showrooms as well :-)

sshortcircuit - 2013-04-10 1:23 PM

pelmetman - 2013-04-10 12:53 PM

Exactly.

Yes the "Bodgits" have nice big shiny showrooms as well :-)

No doubt, but the chance of a poor job is less likely and the chance of a successful compensatoin claim, if needed, is more likely.

I say again, you pay your money and you take your chance.

Oh, and if recommended by MMM, well must be good.

• 4 weeks later...

Had cambelt and water pump changed at Fiat main dealer £400 inc vat. All ok accept

t fitter forgot to put oil filler cap back on , now have oily engine. Didnot loose much oil so hope no harm done.I suppose it will keep the rust down

Archived