Cheap Overnight stopover near Portsmouth

Cliffy

I have been looking for a suitable site to stop over one night 2nd June and one night 2nd July near to Portsmouth. We are travelling down from Teesside to get the 9 am ferry so we need a place that we can leave early in the morning of the 3rd. We don't need EHU just somewhere with water which is quiet and safe. We arrive back early evening on 2nd July so late arrival needed.

The ones I have looked at are either expensive or do not take one night bookings or both.

Anyone got any recommendations from experience?

Mike88 - 2013-04-09 7:49 AM

The cheapest and safest place is to stay at the Port. Enter the Port as though you are to board the ferry, pull over to the left and park alongside the fence. You will not be alone.

Go after 11pm as they are moving you on until the last ferry has gone but no problem after that.

Dave

sambukashot - 2013-04-09 8:37 AM

Hi Cliffy,

Here is a quite spot about 4/5 miles away from the ferry with a great view!

http://www.camperstops.co.uk/index.php/en/motorhome-stopover-locations-map/308-portsmouth-wildcamping

Click on the map and have a look around on streetview

Are you sure it is actually "allowed" there? I thought that was a standard council controlled parking spot. I think the official stopover point is in the D day museum along Southsea sea front, although boy racers may pay a visit but not for long.It used to be tolerated at Port Solent, but I believe that has either been withdrawn or depends on the security team on the night.

I dont mind paying a site fee if it is conveient for the ferry and has easy access and exit. Someone must have stayed on such a site. The local cl/cs sites don't sound particularly good, going by the reviews.

We stayed near a small village called Tichfield on the A 27 off the M27 near Fareham.the site was called Drove Lea Farm. Me thinks if you google it it will come up. Hook up and water but no loos or showers. There's an old abbey nearby and and a nice pub that has nice food. The village is a 15 minute walk. We were told about it on this forum. We found it perfect for our sailing from portsmouth, which was a half hour drive. We arrived at the harbour and were told by Brittany ferries desk we could park in the book in lane as our sailing was not till evening. We had an enjoyable walk to the harbour down the road and if your into history........it's a must. Hope this is of use. B-)

P. S.

We paid .....I think.....18 pounds for site. ( two nights)

Archived