Flat engine battery

ClarkeKent

Hi

I have a 2005 Lunar Roadstar 786 called Monty.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to why the engine battery has gone flat whilst the motorhome was connected to the mains electricity.

I thought being connected to a mains suppy would keep both batteries fully charged by the onboard charger..

Advice would be appreciated..

(?)

We have a Hymer on a 56 Plate and the same thing happened to us. Our battery went flat whilst it was on EHU and we got stranded on a site with no-one to help us, thank heavens for dog walkers. :-D

We ended up having to buy a new one, they don't last forever. I am presuming that you still have the original battery on your mh?

Welcome to the forum Clark, I would have thought you would not have had any problems pushing the the van off the site by yourself or did you not want to give your identity away ..Sorry couldn't resist >:-)

On our MH we have a factory fitted switch that can select leisure or engine battery to charge from ehu but the previous owner fitted a Vanbitz battery master which automatically uses any surplus power from the charger to top up the engine battery, as we have a solar panel it works very well, it keeps all the batteries charged when she is in storage.

There is a great wealth of knowledge on this forum, i am sure there will be someone along shortly who will be able to give specific advice on your van.

Welcome to the forum Clark, I would have thought you would not have had any problems pushing the the van off the site by yourself or did you not want to give your identity away ..Sorry couldn't resist >:-)

On our MH we have a factory fitted switch that can select leisure or engine battery to charge from ehu but the previous owner fitted a Vanbitz battery master which automatically uses any surplus power from the charger to top up the engine battery, as we have a solar panel it works very well, it keeps all the batteries charged when she is in storage.

There is a great wealth of knowledge on this forum, i am sure there will be someone along shortly who will be able to give specific advice on your van.

On the Control Panel of my M/H there is a 3 position switch marked Cab - Off - Van.

If the charger is switched on then, depending on the switch position, the associated battery will get charged.

If the charger is not on then, depending on the switch position, the associated battery will supply all the 12 volt electrics.

It is obviously unwise to use the starter battery to run the 12 volt electrics except in an emergency otherwise you may have a problem starting the engine.

Phil.

ClarkeKent - 2013-04-09 8:03 PM

Hi

I have a 2005 Lunar Roadstar 786 called Monty.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to why the engine battery has gone flat whilst the motorhome was connected to the mains electricity.

I thought being connected to a mains suppy would keep both batteries fully charged by the onboard charger..

Advice would be appreciated..

(?)

Welcome to the Forum Cy,

as has been said, Not all vans charge both batteries 'automatically', some do,others have a switch for a manual 'choice' of which battery gets charged. What does your Lunar handbook say ? (was there one with your van ?) and do you have a wiring diagram ? On my Autocruise, I used to have an 'Automatic' battery charger charging the vehicle battery, Plugged into a power socket in the van, AND the 'onboard' charger keeping the leisure battery topped up. My Autotrail 'appears' to keep both batteries charged, (and both have been ok through the winter). Ray

Cy, It could be that the battery, is dead, it is likely to be the original, you dont say how long you have had the van, or indeed how long its been sitting on hook up. I would suggest that you take the battery out and put it on a separate charger, depending on what kind it is check the levels in the cells and top up if needed. Once charged check the voltage, and see how it goes from there. By this time you should have found out about the charging set up in your van as per everyone elses posts. We try to use our van over the winter but even if we cant get away I still go to the storage yard and run up the engine, while I check for snow damage etc.

PS dont try cryptonyte!

Archived