Devizes

ips

Off to the C&CC site at Devizes in a few weeks. Never been to the area before but we believe that there is a nice walk along the canal into the town, Is this correct and how far is it. Is Devizes worth walking to anyway or should we just hop on a bus and go into Bath. Also want to visit Stonehenge which I think is about 20 miles away, is there any parking or access issues we should be aware of for the MH.

Many thanks

If you are going into Stonehenge via English Heritage then no need to worry, there is ample parking.

Just 2 things to be aware of they don`t like you parking in the Coach Bays and try and give yourself

an easy exit from the Car Parks because there are so many " Numpties " go in there you wouldn`t

believe it........the biggest offenders being Foreigners in Hire Cars.......................LOL

You`ll see what i mean when you go and see how fast in can fill up especially if the weather is nice.

Avebury is not that far away either and you have the White Horse at Uffington.

Have a good trip.

It's a few years since we've been down to the Stonehenge area..but Wooie's right,the carpark can get a bit "chaotic"..and the whole place is usually awash with coach parties,crowds etc..so it's not always the "tranquil and spiritual" experience that they portray on the tele (lol)

(..with their swooping footage, taken from a light aircraft,at 6:30am...)

A far quieter and more "chilled out" and less "theme-park" place to visit is Avebury..there's a decent sized carpark on an approach road(although at the moment, I can't recall from which direction! *-) ),which I think was operated by the NT(at the time we were members, so parking was free).

Having said that access to the stone circle, the avenue etc is(or was?) free..and you can amble around or sit and picnic,for as long as you like. There is(was) a small museum in an old barn(NT), for which there is a charge, although I seem to recall that ,even though they are "operated" by two different organisations (Avebury- NT/Stonehenge-English Heritage ?)when we went, EH did accept the NT membership card...

The Avebury Car park is accessed from the A4361 Beckhamptom Road heading North from the A4.

It is on your left and comes up pretty quick, there are signs but if you miss it you`ll have to turn around.

On that one the Wardens told up to park with the Coaches as the ground was very Boggy when we went.

At least at Avebury you can " Hug A Stone " if you are that way inclined, not like Stonehenge

that you view from the walkway.

It's a longish walk into Devizes for anybody not keen on walking.

Nice bike ride into town though along the canal. Also the other way to Bradford and if you are fit Bath.

Seem to remember that the bus was quite dear either way (Devizes or Bath) from that site.

HWO

It is about 3 miles along the canal path to Devizes. Mainly flat and in good condition with an uphillclimb at the Caen flight which is well worth a look. Devizes is a small market town with interesting Georgian architecture and the Wadsworth brewery with museum and tastings! Perhaps not a town for shopaholics but there is a great Italian cafe/restaurant down a side alley off the pedestrian street. If the walk does not appeal there is a regular bus from near the campsite to Devizes and if you take it the other way it goes to Bath which we have done on a couple of occasions when the Bath Christmas market is on.

The Magpies pub at the entrance to the campsite lane changed hands a little while ago but when we last tried the food this February it was enjoyed by us and our Australian guests who appreciate good UK pubs.

Agree with above. Went in February and had a great time. Manager very helpful, Magpie pub has a good selection of real ales and usual pub grub. If you use the buses check timetable. We are not used to using public transport and had to wait nearly an hour in the freezing cold!

Thursdays are market days in the market square. If you get into town very early there is free parking for two hours on the side of New Park St. from the Brewery to the Castle Hotel and no bay markings .

Station Hill long stay is turn right from the market square but you need to park at the far end and if taking up two bays ,pay for two tickets as the Gestapo are on the ball here !!

Lidl's on London Rd on the outskirts of Devizes on the A361 is usually easy to park a van but do NOT attempt Morrisons on the same road. !! We have problems getting a Fiesta in !!

But we do have a Calor depot which fills Gaslow or refillable tanks (personal service ) at Hopton Industrial Estate which is signed from the A361.

Walking the opposite way from the campsite along the canal takes you to the Barge Inn which is usually a good place to eat.

Hope you enjoy !

We have stayed over the New Year at the site at Seend. I won the quiz last time. Its alongside the canal and even for me with a gammy leg I have wandered with others into Devises for a pub lunch. Take a good camera with you as there is lots of wild life to photograph on route. I will admit on both occasions to taking a Taxi back to the site afterwards even though the return journey is all downhill. From memory the pub was the Bear?? or something. Quite a few to chose from.

Its nice.

Enjoy.

C.

Archived