Tyre Pressure Monitors For Motorhome And Trailer.

Frank McAuley

I refer to above .Product News of MMM (May 2013) @ page 247 displays info re "TYREPAL TC215" which is of interest to me as I tow a trailer with my motorhome and I tend to keep a "beady eye" on the trailer tyres on long hauls.

It's a fairly expensive piece of kit but if it was effective perhaps the initial outlay would be worthwhile?

May I please have your views/opinions .

My experience of servicing motorhomes over the last five years plus suggests that not too many owners check their tyre pressures regularly if ever, sad to say *-) . Anything that makes it easier for the average owner to monitor tyre pressures easily and regularly gets my vote, if it is relatively cheap then all the better as more people are likely to buy and use them. I have these http://www.tyrepressurealarm.com/ fitted to our motorhome and to the wife's car. NSR tyre on wife's car flashes after about 4 weeks so they do work, must get that slow leak fixed :D .

D.

Just been looking closely at these for my van and toad and very much like the TC215, however the sensors are quite large at nearly 30mm diameter by 30mm high and would not easily fit on the 14" wheels of the toad !

I actually made up a dummy sensor to confirm this and also temporarily added weights to the wheel to check the balance, which surprisingly was not affected by the extra 19g weight.

The alternative is the TC22X with smaller sensors and I will have to go for this.

The Tyrepal website also has downloadable manuals.

Alan

Hi Frank,I have tyrepal monitors on my motorhome and trailer, easy to read monitor on the dash ,dear but worth every penny,just out of interest are you a pre65 rider as i know one from down west country,if you are nice to hear from you regards harvey.. :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
gocro - 2013-04-11 7:53 AM

Your local trading standards office can direct you to the laboratory to have it calibrated.Ours used to do it for free, but the webpage link no longer works.

Forgive me asking but is your dog as miserable as he appears, he looks to have all the worries of the world on his shoulders. :D

Hi

the tc215 allows you to easily run without the trailer via its link function whereas the tc22 shows no signal for the missing sensors. The Tc215 also cycles through the tyre readings automatically whilst you have to do it manually on the 22. I will probably need the repeater. An 8 wheel system is about £320 for the 22

and £390 for the 215, both with repeaters. The website has a lot of info.

Dave Newell - 2013-04-10 8:03 PM

My experience of servicing motorhomes over the last five years plus suggests that not too many owners check their tyre pressures regularly if ever, sad to say *-) . Anything that makes it easier for the average owner to monitor tyre pressures easily and regularly gets my vote, if it is relatively cheap then all the better as more people are likely to buy and use them. I have these http://www.tyrepressurealarm.com/ fitted to our motorhome and to the wife's car. NSR tyre on wife's car flashes after about 4 weeks so they do work, must get that slow leak fixed :D .

D.

Dave - These look very neat, simple and a reasonable cost.

But surely they are vulnerable to easy removal?

Having had all my car's three pointed star dust caps removed - twice - (presumably by kids), I am a bit uneasy about investing in such an easily removable accessory.

Comments?

Matrix Meanderer - 2013-04-11 6:24 PM

Dave Newell - 2013-04-10 8:03 PM

D.

Dave - These look very neat, simple and a reasonable cost.

But surely they are vulnerable to easy removal?

Having had all my car's three pointed star dust caps removed - twice - (presumably by kids), I am a bit uneasy about investing in such an easily removable accessory.

Comments?

Oopps - sorry Dave - just read their website and noted that they need a special key to remove. That's my concerns sorted.

I have recently bought and fitted a TC215 system and 6 sensors. I was a bit concerned about the size of the sensors but I needed have been. If you only have 14 inch wheel it might be a bit different but can you mix sensors with this systen and the smaller sensors on the toad?

I have only done a couple of trips with them and the only difficulty I have had so far is getting the high pressure setting right. What are others setting the difference between the cold and high pressures?

peedee

sorry made a bit of a hash of the first go, here again in planer language, I hope?

I have recently bought and fitted a TC215 system and 6 sensors. I was a bit concerned about the size of the sensors but I need not have been. If you only have 14 inch wheel it might be a bit different but can you not mix sensors with this system and fit smaller sensors on the toad?

I have only done a couple of trips with them and the only difficulty I have had so far is getting the high pressure setting right. What are others setting the difference between the cold and high pressures?

peedee

Hi "HAPPYPRE65" : I'm sorry to say I'm not that person- what did I miss- is it too late?

Hi PEEDEE: a couple of Q's please:-

did you purchase direct from TYREPAL;

are your 6 sensors solely for the mhome or mhome + trailer;

the set-up seems quite complicated and

did you need a signal amplifier?

Thankyou.

Yes I bought direct from TyrePal, very good service. Ordered at about 2pm and they arrived the next day. They are initially for the motorhome, I have a twin rear wheel axle configuration and I have not needed a booster (repeater). I found it quite straight forward to set up but do have to get the high pressure settings right. I was rather taken aback by how much the pressure increases from cold on a trip. I am seeing 10 to 12psi! I occasionally tow a car so it is also nice to have the option to extend it if I wish.

I think TyrePal will be at the Peterborough National show and may be offering a discount on their systems if you want to meet with them.

peedee

I have a TD 1200 system on my four wheel Autotrail. It's not been without it's problems but I wouldn't do without it.
I bought direct from Tyrepal and they have been very supportive. Three sensors failed after our first trip with them and Tyrepal sent a new set of batteries. That didn't cure the fault, so they replaced the system.
The batteries don't last as long as they are supposed to and two needed replacement before our Easter trip. I'm considering taking them off during cold weather if we're not using the MH.
The price of batteries varies a lot online, but I managed to find some really cheap ones. Turns out that you get what you pay for and I've already had to replace one!
Setting the system up is quite easy, so long as you follow the instructions carefully. I have yet to get all the pressures precisely matched and I don't really think that it's possible. I use a Michelin compressor with screw connector (the clip on ones just jump off my tyres, perhaps because of the relatively high pressures involved) but there's still some loss of pressure unscrewing the connector.
Pressures vary according to which tyres have the sun on them, but the rear tyres rise more than the front when on the move and the rear nearside rises most, perhaps because the boiler is on that side. But small variations in pressure are not a problem, variations are dangerous when the difference is, say, over 5psi.
Tyrepal is a good piece of kit, not perfect, but potentially a life saver. Above all it will tell you if something's going wrong while you're on the move. You don't have to stop and look at the valves all the time!

Hi Frank,the same named chap from devon was a motorcycle scrambler,and i happened to run over him twice,he did not get injured but hurt his pride,what i should have said is have you got any tyre marks across your back ,if not you not the same man,but all the info you have got now should help you,i would not be without monitors i also have tyre safe in all the tyres as well,after having a blow out and the the tyre came apart and took out part of the wheel well,and that was the biggest cost,regards H (lol)

Hi Folks

Many thanks for your contributions.

I have spoken to TYREPAL by email and it is confirmed that new sensors will be available for the TC215 in approx. 8 weeks. They are smaller and lighter and will not interfere with the balance of smaller wheels; apparently TYREPAL were inundated with complaints at the NEC show about the size and weight of the TC215 sensors hence the change.

The original sensors were designed for heavy trucks/trailers! Thanks and good luck.

Archived