spray from front wheels

goodheart23

I have bought a Auto-trail Delaware, totally happy with the van, we took a long time over choosing this make and model, I have one small problem to solve so I hope someone can help me.

The first time I took the van on the road to a camp site in March it was light rain and the spray from the front wheels left both sides of the van in such a dirty state that I was compelled to clean it after I set up on site, now I am not house proud (maybe her indoors thinks I must be now) but I have never had such a mess on my previous vans. The mud guards on the front wheels look to me as though they are to small so the water from the outside of the wheels go past and spray along the van, does anyone know if I can get wider and higher mud guards to stop this small problem, if so where can I purchase them from.

Any help in this would be much appreciated.

Goodheart.

goodheart23 - 2013-04-12 3:57 PM

I have bought a Auto-trail Delaware, totally happy with the van, we took a long time over choosing this make and model, I have one small problem to solve so I hope someone can help me.

The first time I took the van on the road to a camp site in March it was light rain and the spray from the front wheels left both sides of the van in such a dirty state that I was compelled to clean it after I set up on site, now I am not house proud (maybe her indoors thinks I must be now) but I have never had such a mess on my previous vans. The mud guards on the front wheels look to me as though they are to small so the water from the outside of the wheels go past and spray along the van, does anyone know if I can get wider and higher mud guards to stop this small problem, if so where can I purchase them from.

Any help in this would be much appreciated.

Goodheart.

I had a similar problem with our Savannah, I bought a set of front mudflaps, which have cut it down a lot, but not eliminated it completely. They are much cheaper than 'dealer fit' ones, But are just as good quality.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0069RH5U6/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ray

Been out in my Tracker to-day and when I got back it was a right mess admittingly we live down some narrow country lanes which are always very muddy . but the factory fitted front mudflaps did not make any difference , so it was out with the long handled brush and give it the once over. Looks a treat now .

This is a problem with the new camper chasis vans, we had this with our Excel and now with the Tracker. I bought mudflaps from SDG and fitted them so that they protruded a bit. I also bought one of the Astro turf type door mats and cut it in half and fitted to the existing rear flaps and this stopped a lot of the spray throw up.

There will still be some spray along the sides but not as bad. The rear of the van gets very dirty I think the only way of overcoming that is with a full width skirt for the rear.

Guest Peter James
colin - 2013-04-12 7:32 PM

Our PVC doesn't seem to get much mud thrown up the sides, whether this is because of it being a PVC, the mudguards, or the arch surround,. I don't know.

I find little mud on the sides too, and I don't have any mudflaps on my PVC.

Although with its 16" wheels they are closer to the mudguards than 15" wheels, maybe that makes a difference?

Mudflaps will, of course, increase wind drag and consequently fuel consumption.

Mudflaps will, of course, increase wind drag and consequently fuel consumption

16" wheels will give more ground clearance,which will interfere with the ground effect ,decreasing grip on the straights surely (or something like that)

Well done Lewis

Guest Peter James
gocro - 2013-04-13 9:29 AM

16" wheels will give more ground clearance

Not sure about that because they come as part of a package with different springs, hubs & brakes (to carry more weight)

If you have a Hab door near the front of the van, keep an eye on the flyscreen door (if fitted). The bottom hinge can quickly seize up due to road spray and the fact that the flyscreen is not used a lot.

Archived