North Korea

nightrider

I personally think he is a dangerous threat, he appears to be far too immature to be running a country and seems to be like the ultimate bully at school who has access to the stock cupboard where all the confiscated weapons are kept.

Saying that, I think the western powers, and indeed those in the east as well, need to tread carefully, i don't think the little hitler would hesitate to order a nuclear strike just because he can, and I think that's the main problem. The backlash could be far worse than anyone expects.

My solution............a carefully planned assassination before he attains his aim of being a real life 'Bond Baddie'

I hope I am right but I think its just saber rattling. Any day now I think he will fire a rocket into the sea a couple of thousand miles away just to show the world how hard he is and that will be it.

They stand too much to lose by starting WW3.

Of course the Yanks are as unpredictable as this nutter and could well be the ones to up the ante and start another war.

Kim Pong Ing was educated in Switzerland so will be well aware of what the USA can unleash and so will NK's military, even China are uneasy with his actions and the US have asked them to intervene. If the talks with NK fail I can't see China backing them up this time, but the UN (US) would need to be very careful how far they went and hopefully with less Gung Ho.

Strange isn't it that since WW2 and probably too the early 50's the US could have wiped out any country they choose but didn't, even the Russian's backed down over Cuba in 1962 or was it 1961 so they must have had big doubts then if they were capable to take the US on.

My opinion is that the US would win any war with any country that started now, but after there would not be much of the world (even in the US) left to rule over, but it would solve their debt problem.

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2013-04-13 4:01 PM

Strange isn't it that since WW2 and probably too the early 50's the US could have wiped out any country they choose but didn't, even the Russian's backed down over Cuba in 1962 or was it 1961 so they must have had big doubts then if they were capable to take the US on.

Dave

I don't see it as strange.

Both sides knew that an all out nuclear war was likely to wipe out both sides ( and a lot of other nations too ) so what would be the point.

It was the "MAD" option, as it was termed - Mutually Assured Destruction.

:-|

malc d - 2013-04-13 4:13 PM

I don't see it as strange.

When I say strange, I meant it in the context that all the countries that say they are the USA's enemy have lived in comparative safety when the US could have annihilated them. So what were they afraid of. Even in the Korean War the US could have taken the North out but didn't, granted it was a UN action later. China weren't much of a threat regarding weapons only in massive personnel. North Korea only started the war because the Russian's coerced them and NK Air Force and Army were backed and trained by them.

If the US weren't as powerful as they were, I wonder who would be ruling us now.

Dave

He simply does not have the missile capability to carry out even half of his infantile threats.

Should he fire off a missile and should it even look as though it just might be headed for any strategic target it will certainly be shot down long before it even leaves NK.

Then all hell will break loose as the Americans try their best to eliminate him with missiles.

Watch those drones and the big bombers go.

His Nuclear power station is certainly going to be spread out a bit more than it currently is.

It is all the scary nightmare of trade offs, or saving face. Just suppose Little Kimmie lobs a missile Japan way. They blow it up and somebody in South Korea/Japan/US lobs one back. So he then throws some wobblies and a few troops over the DMZ, after all he has a lot, plus a few of his smaller missiles that are actually workable. Then things get nasty as good old Uncle Sam, who are not known for common sense, will throw a few Cruise up north and then China gets involved as they will feel they have lost 'face' and then all hell will break loose. Putin will decide it is a party too good to miss and then of course Cameron will decide that UK troops in the very front line are the answer and so on and so forth.

The world economy goes belly up, and everybody blames everybody else for staring it all. 30 years later when everything is a charred lump they all start thinking maybe it was not such a good idea.

Sorry, but can I get off the world please??

nowtelse2do - 2013-04-13 5:30 PM
malc d - 2013-04-13 4:13 PMI don't see it as strange.
When I say strange, I meant it in the context that all the countries that say they are the USA's enemy have lived in comparative safety when the US could have annihilated them. So what were they afraid of. Even in the Korean War the US could have taken the North out but didn't, granted it was a UN action later. China weren't much of a threat regarding weapons only in massive personnel. North Korea only started the war because the Russian's coerced them and NK Air Force and Army were backed and trained by them.If the US weren't as powerful as they were, I wonder who would be ruling us now.Dave

Whilst the US could have annihilated these 'minor' countries they wouldn't have dared.  It was the huge stockpiles of 'nukes' held by the two major powers, USA and Russia, and the protection offered by either side to their 'friends' in terms of 'defence/agression pacts' that ensured nukes were never used.  Like has been said it was a time of 'MAD'...mutually assured destruction.  If a nuclear war had started it would have turned the globe into an atomic 'winter wasteland'.  What we did have was a number of relatively 'minor' proxy wars where the US and Russia offered support/arms etc to the combatant nations. 

NK is the closest the world came to 1984 becoming a reality. I read somewhere that if a dictatorial State manages to force its will on 4 generations in succession then it becomes almost impossible to overthrow from within because after 4 generations the population knows nothing else and has no family memories of any other "way".

Personally I think China is indeed the key. But for China i think the idiot family dictator dynasty would have been quietly put down years ago.

When it goes it will be quite momentous I think. I do not believe that the North Koreans can keep out the internet/mobile technology for much longer. China makes most of it. China wants to sell its product to the rest of the world. Why would it continue to tolerate a basket case country, threatening its market and refusing to trade with it?

China is the key.

This indicates just how backward NK is compared to China and South Korea.

How long this gangster regime can survive is debatable.

But the prediction is the ever more desperate actions we are seeing now before a true tragedy overtakes the population.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/technology/2012/12/new-highly-detailed-image-north-koreas-lack-electrical-infrastructure/4201/

RogerC - 2013-04-15 11:00 AM
When I say strange, I meant it in the context that all the countries that say they are the USA's enemy have lived in comparative safety when the US could have annihilated them. So what were they afraid of. Even in the Korean War the US could have taken the North out but didn't, granted it was a UN action later. China weren't much of a threat regarding weapons only in massive personnel. North Korea only started the war because the Russian's coerced them and NK Air Force and Army were backed and trained by them.If the US weren't as powerful as they were, I wonder who would be ruling us now.Dave

Whilst the US could have annihilated these 'minor' countries they wouldn't have dared.  It was the huge stockpiles of 'nukes' held by the two major powers, USA and Russia, and the protection offered by either side to their 'friends' in terms of 'defence/agression pacts' that ensured nukes were never used.  Like has been said it was a time of 'MAD'...mutually assured destruction.  If a nuclear war had started it would have turned the globe into an atomic 'winter wasteland'.  What we did have was a number of relatively 'minor' proxy wars where the US and Russia offered support/arms etc to the combatant nations. 

I can only agree with you partially Rodger. There was only Russia that could have attempted to take on the US in the 50's, but between 1945 and let's say for argument's sake 1950 the US would have been undefeatable. There will be no winners nowadays between the three major player that's for sure. What I'm trying to say is that the US could have but didn't annihilate any country that they desired. So why did/do countries despise them and be frightened of them. Their science and technology and wealth have made a lot of other countries wealthy and affluent, and fairly peaceful considering the alternative of Communism Dave

Anyone see the Panorama programme on NK last night?

What bleak soul destroying place NK is!

Sadly those running the place seem to have convinced much of the population that the lack of food and medicine etc is all down to the Americans!

I wonder what underneath the masks - the average NK citizens really think about the fat little boy who is now in charge?

Those that had managed to defect to South Korea seem to have little doubt as to just how bad things are in the North and this backed up with some pretty stark footage from the BBC.

But mobile phone usage is growing -

I would suggest that the fat boy should be put on trial for crimes against humanity.

nowtelse2do - 2013-04-15 2:50 PM
RogerC - 2013-04-15 11:00 AM

I can only agree with you partially Rodger. There was only Russia that could have attempted to take on the US in the 50's, but between 1945 and let's say for argument's sake 1950 the US would have been undefeatable. There will be no winners nowadays between the three major player that's for sure. What I'm trying to say is that the US could have but didn't annihilate any country that they desired. So why did/do countries despise them and be frightened of them. Their science and technology and wealth have made a lot of other countries wealthy and affluent, and fairly peaceful considering the alternative of Communism Dave

Dave I have no idea other than something that takes us onto the 'old chestnut' of religious/cultural differences.....the haves and the have nots'.  It's like those who come to this country to 'better' themselves or to escape oppression/tyrannical leadership and (please readers lets not pick on this comment as it's been done to death)......proceed to protest/complain about this country and want to impose Sharia law or whatever floats their boat.  I just don't know.

Anyway back on topic.....looking at those photos of North Korea it should be a brilliant place for star gazing.....no light polution....hehe.

Syd - 2013-04-20 12:49 PM

David Cameron says that we are prepared for a nuclear strike from North Korea

But David we were not even prepared for snow last winter

I wish Cameron or the media would get their facts right. One minute Cameron is telling us that NK have misiles that can reach the UK and the USA but all the factual programmes are telling us that they do not have that capability yet. Which is correct?

Syd - 2013-04-20 12:49 PM

David Cameron says that we are prepared for a nuclear strike from North Korea

But David we were not even prepared for snow last winter

I wish Cameron or the media would get their facts right. One minute Cameron is telling us that NK have misiles that can reach the UK and the USA but all the factual programmes are telling us that they do not have that capability yet. Which is correct?

Archived