Which A-Frame supplier

Bolly1965

Hi Guys,

Before we get into the whole A-frame debate I have decided to go ahead and have one fitted. But which supplier?

I have a Smart Roadster, which is ideal for towing on an A-Frame, but just need some advice on systems an suppliers.

I am near Manchester and will travel within reason

I also need to get a towbar fitted to the motorhome.

Any suggestions welcome

When i had mine fitted i had it done at Amitages. Ferrybridge.

They will do the Towbar as well and probably a deal if you have both done.

http://www.armitagetrailers.com/Generalmotoromes.htm

A lot of people on here will slate them but the job they did for me was spot on.

The A-Frame itself and the Bracket fitted to the Car was much more substantial than others

i have seen from the likes of Chris Cox. Car-a-Tow etc.

The only thing that let them down was the way they fitted the Reflector Triangles in the rear

window, i took them out and bought some Heavy Duty Round Velcro Pads from Halfords and

fitted them at either side of the number plate so that i could take them off when not Towing.

Anything else you want to know just ask.

If you go to the link i put on........

Motorhome Menu then........A_Frame page the picture on the right showing a closeup Black Car on

a foreign plate shows the 2 brackets that are visable on the car when you take the frame off.

The other thing i should mention is that i went for the Jockey Wheel as it makes life a lot easier

when manoeuvring the car . It is then a one person operation to hitch up if you want.

Seen on the same page scroll down to below the Concorde.

I went for the Pneumatic tyre as i found the other a little harsh.

Bolly1965 - 2013-04-13 3:58 PM

Thanks for that. Armitages seem to be a little cheaper than elsewhere too.

How noticable is the bar on the front of the car when not in use?

There`s some good close up pictures of a Smart Roadster in the A-Frame Gallery ;_

http://www.armitagetrailers.com/smartroadster.htm

As you can see you don`t leave the bar on and all you see are the 2 Fixing Lugs.

You can unscrew them if you want, mine got through 3 MOT`s no problem leaving them on.

Also having the Reflector Triangles on Velcro means you can take them off when you

are not Towing just in case you come across a " Jobsworth " Copper or MOT Tester.

I cannot comment on the Armitage system but we have a Tow bars 2 tow cars system which is excellent and quite lightweight. We previously had the Caratow but it had a manual braking system, a permanent bar on the front of the car and a very heavy frame. With the Tow bars 2 to cars, the braking system is electronic and there is nothing permanent on the front of the car apart from the electrics socket which is very discreet.

Rowan Lee - 2013-04-14 5:43 PM

I cannot comment on the Armitage system but we have a Tow bars 2 tow cars system which is excellent and quite lightweight. We previously had the Caratow but it had a manual braking system, a permanent bar on the front of the car and a very heavy frame. With the Tow bars 2 to cars, the braking system is electronic and there is nothing permanent on the front of the car apart from the electrics socket which is very discreet

Another vote for tow-bars 2 tow-cars, just had our new Panda fitted, excellent product, very professional service. Our previous Panda had a Chris Cox frame, very heavy compared with our new one . Do your research, over run types are likely to be outlawed next year,The proposed law states that over run brakes can only be used on a centre axle.

There appears to be only 3 suppliers that will comply with the new regs ( make your own mind up on that one)

Look at Smart tow, Tow-bars 2 tow-cars,& unibrake, needless to say these are the most expensive, around £1800.

Its also recently come to light that if your car has ABS then this needs to work whilst on tow. These units can also be reversed, as required in the new regs

Smart Tow are too far away and the Roadster is not on the list of cars they fit to

Unibrake are also too far away and again only list the Smart 450 and 451 - not the Roadster

Tow Bars To Tow Cars are a possibility though even though it is 120 miles away. Price is a factor too - I don't want to end up paying more than the value of the car!

I'll speak to armstrongs tomorrow and get a bit more info from them

Just goes to show that 'A Friday afternoon 'rushed' job' can destroy a companies reputation, I know who I won't be buying an A-Frame from... begins with 'A.' denying liability after one of their employees actually stated what had been done incorrectly (brake line with a kink in it, and they KNEW it had). is indefensible especially with 2 witnesses listening. Just because everyone at 'A' was rushing to get away for the weekend ! Ray

Archived