Ban the Car park Campers!

Petra

The Pikey's certainly don't use the toilets not even the ones in their vans. My mate turned up at his office last weekend to find a a pikey's Motohome parked on his premisses & various pikey mobiles around the industrial estate. A call to the landlords agent sorted it out they sent the bailiffs round they were gone in hours, so they can be got rid of quickly providing you have a few big boys to hand, but it doesn't get rid of the human excrement they left behind on his premisses.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JudgeMental - 2013-04-15 12:40 PM

They could easily set aside an area of field for overnight halts for motorhomes for say £10 a night.

Just like they do in Germany we have stayed at a few Stellplatz 10€ a night next to the campsite & full use of site facilities.

put up signs at motorhome dump with tap, saying container water filling only! while staring forlornly at the empty fields....I ask you!lol

You were OK then Eddie just happens your container was inside your van & you couldn't be bothered to take it out to fill it. :D

OK some Motorhome users state, my Wife is or they are disabled. Are you registered disabled do you have a Blue badge? If so why are you not registering a complaint with the local councils where you can’t park your motorhome under the disability act .Or even object in writing on the grounds you are being discriminated against because you are disabled.. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1995/50/contents

In some ways both Eddie and Henri are right. Yes you can find places in U.K, but often in middle of nowhere and a need to book ahead. Really do not see, for reasons Eddie states, Aires ever taking off in U.K. so that is reason Gwendolyn we do make so much mention of countries like France which provide them. And just one more time it is not about cost, but location and ease of use. We are now at Gravelines, parked overlooking marina. We were able to walk into town this morning for a nice coffee, and pick up supplies for lunch. Nice walk this afternoon in the sunshine then back into town this evening for a meal and the odd glass of wine. It is staying on Aires that allows this sort of freedom not often possible on muddy field campsites miles from anywhere.

lennyhb - 2013-04-15 12:01 PM

On our very first long trip in the Motorhome we were heading for northern Germany weather forecast was bad so we turned south and ended up in Slovenia.

I really don´t want to get involved in this discussion as I haven´t lived in the UK for 12 yrs, But am curious as to where you managed to stay in Slovenia without using a formal registered site?

I am visiting this summer and at least when I was there previously about 4 yrs ago they were very strict about not allowing overnight stops anywhere except registered sites,

In fact a mate of mine got a ticket from the local plods because he was sleeping in his car overnight outside the gates to a camp site which had closed by the time he arrived :)

On another m/home forum someone posted that Great Yarmouth Council are very upset because they have had no visitors. They blame the cold weather and the fact that an estimated extra 200,000 people went abroad this Spring.

He did not mention if they were going to get off their backsides and do something to improve matters.

if you want to do something positive for an Aire type facility in Gt Yarmouth, now is the time to contact them. Strike while the iron is hot. :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
ham - 2013-04-15 2:25 PM

OK some Motorhome users state, my Wife is or they are disabled. Are you registered disabled do you have a Blue badge? If so why are you not registering a complaint with the local councils where you can’t park your motorhome under the disability act .Or even object in writing on the grounds you are being discriminated against because you are disabled.. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1995/50/contents

You make a very good point, and I know of one forum user who has disabled children, it would be interesting to know of her's and other disabled forum users experiences and difficulties.

But this is I suspect like most things not a walk in the park, I would have thought where height barriers exist they would have taken a legal opinion, as they are not discriminating against the disabled as such, just their vehicle, mmmmmmm :-S

Here's some of the stuff you have to wade through though , sounds like the last dozen or so words covers attempts to take any action unless I've read it wrong(!)

(1)Where a provider of services has a practice, policy or procedure which makes it impossible or unreasonably difficult for disabled persons to make use of a service which he provides, or is prepared to provide, to other members of the public, it is his duty to take such steps as it is reasonable, in all the circumstances of the case, for him to have to take in order to change that practice, policy or procedure so that it no longer has that effect.

(2)Where a physical feature (for example, one arising from the design or construction of a building or the approach or access to premises) makes it impossible or unreasonably difficult for disabled persons to make use of such a service, it is the duty of the provider of that service to take such steps as it is reasonable, in all the circumstances of the case, for him to have to take in order to—

(a)remove the feature;

(b)alter it so that it no longer has that effect;

©provide a reasonable means of avoiding the feature; or

(d)provide a reasonable alternative method of making the service in question available to disabled persons.

(3)Regulations may prescribe—

(a)matters which are to be taken into account in determining whether any provision of a kind mentioned in subsection (2)© or (d) is reasonable; and

(b)categories of providers of services to whom subsection (2) does not apply.

(4)Where an auxiliary aid or service (for example, the provision of information on audio tape or of a sign language interpreter) would—

(a)enable disabled persons to make use of a service which a provider of services provides, or is prepared to provide, to members of the public, or

(b)facilitate the use by disabled persons of such a service,it is the duty of the provider of that service to take such steps as it is reasonable, in all the circumstances of the case, for him to have to take in order to provide that auxiliary aid or service.

(5)Regulations may make provision, for the purposes of this section—

(a)as to circumstances in which it is reasonable for a provider of services to have to take steps of a prescribed description;

(b)as to circumstances in which it is not reasonable for a provider of services to have to take steps of a prescribed description;

©as to what is to be included within the meaning of “practice, policy or procedure”;

(d)as to what is not to be included within the meaning of that expression;

(e)as to things which are to be treated as physical features;

(f)as to things which are not to be treated as such features;

(g)as to things which are to be treated as auxiliary aids or services;

(h)as to things which are not to be treated as auxiliary aids or services.

(6)Nothing in this section requires a provider of services to take any steps which would fundamentally alter the nature of the service in question or the nature of his trade, profession or business.

(7)Nothing in this section requires a provider of services to take any steps which would cause him to incur expenditure exceeding the prescribed maximum.

(8)Regulations under subsection (7) may provide for the prescribed maximum to be calculated by reference to—

(a)aggregate amounts of expenditure incurred in relation to different cases;

(b)prescribed periods;

©services of a prescribed description;

(d)premises of a prescribed description; or

(e)such other criteria as may be prescribed.

(9)Regulations may provide, for the purposes of subsection (7), for expenditure incurred by one provider of services to be treated as incurred by another.

(10)This section imposes duties only for the purpose of determining whether a provider of services has discriminated against a disabled person; and accordingly a breach of any such duty is not actionable as such.

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-15 7:02 AM

Gwendolyn - 2013-04-14 11:56 PM

And BTW it is not THE Gower, but GOWER. There is no definite article in the Welsh - it’s simply “Gwyr”.

Gwen

And I'm bound to say "moaning" as you put it about what many of us see as petty mindedness, you illustrate perfectly with your Welsh lesson for us all.

But I should dash of an email to the Welsh tourist board as well and put them right, diabolical that they use the term "Visit the Gower Peninsula" I mean give me strength. :-S

Sorry, I do beg your pardon. It really was not my intention to give a petty minded “Welsh lesson”. I just thought it might be a snippet of [linguistic?] interest, that’s all. Obviously not then. Apologies.

[but, as you have raised it, it’s termed the Gower Peninsula, to differentiate that particular peninsula from, say, the Llyn Peninsula or any other particular peninsula. But Gower, with out the word peninsula added is just Gower…. Oddities of language again, that’s all.]

snowie - 2013-04-15 10:38 AM

Gwendolyn - 2013-04-14 11:56 PM

And as for The Campaign….. I set out, else thread, some time ago, what you might do. But you have to DO it, and get on with it instead of spending time on here moaning. Spend the energy on The Campaign. PM me if you want the details I posted previously.

Gwen

Hi Gwen: so where's this Campaign? I've had a van for only 3 years now, but I've seen no sign of a coordinated Campaign. No magazine is fronting it as far as I can see, and who else will get behind it?

Not MMM and not the clubs, not in their interests. So who's got clout?

Interested to know

alan b

There isn’t one; or one of which I am aware anyway. I was echoing what you wrote up thread about the need for a nationwide campaign.

Some time ago, on another thread about raising EU Funds for Aires provision, I outlined steps which one could take to access funds, having done as much for a project with which I have been involved. That’s all.

Kind of trying to say, as other have said, notably pepe63, that a more fruitful way of spending time might be to have a concerted campaign rather than spending time on a Forum bewailing the lack of opportunities for motorhoming in the UK.

Why don’t some of you get together, via the PM system, and target maybe one or two seemingly sympathetic councils, or approach a supermarket chain, and make a small start. Prove it can be successful on a trial basis and then roll it out.

You could, as a group, provide template letters for all to use to lobby Councils. With a name and logo for the campaign, and some contact details of the lobby group, these may carry more clout than individual letters.

I’d be happy to provide details of a funding strategy for the campaign. But would not wish to involve myself further. As far as I am concerned, liking areas of the UK so much, I work around any perceived problems so that I can enjoy what the UK has to offer.

True, we spend 3 lots of 2 month periods in mainland Europe each year – not only in France. But I like my short trip in the UK too.

And as for Robert and Jean’s comment above – well we are on a UK site right on the edge of a really charming town where we can stroll and have coffee and do all the things they outline from here. It’s not just a prerogative of Aire users.

Really don’t want to argue about it – just want to point out that I enjoy motorhoming here as well as in mainland Europe and I cannot see the point in shunning the delights of the UK in a state of indignation.

Sparks1061 - 2013-04-15 4:46 PM

lennyhb - 2013-04-15 12:01 PM

On our very first long trip in the Motorhome we were heading for northern Germany weather forecast was bad so we turned south and ended up in Slovenia.

I really don´t want to get involved in this discussion as I haven´t lived in the UK for 12 yrs, But am curious as to where you managed to stay in Slovenia without using a formal registered site?

I am visiting this summer and at least when I was there previously about 4 yrs ago they were very strict about not allowing overnight stops anywhere except registered sites,

In fact a mate of mine got a ticket from the local plods because he was sleeping in his car overnight outside the gates to a camp site which had closed by the time he arrived :)

We did use sites and aires in Slovenia I never have been against sites just the British attitude to Motorhomes I absolutely hate CC sites and their wardens not keen on UK commercial sites either. Don't mind foreign sites they have a much more relaxed attitude but I do appreciate the freedom of being able to find somewhere to stay when touring without all the hassle you get in the UK.

Guest pelmetman

After 20+ years with a camper we have given up on the UK and the CC (Concentration Camps >:-))...........Europe is the place to go B-)...................and a dam site cheaper even when including the ferry :D .......

Although we'll have to pay through the nose in July as we are going away with tugging friends *-)........

pelmetman - 2013-04-15 6:44 PM

After 20+ years with a camper we have given up on the UK and the CC (Concentration Camps >:-))...........Europe is the place to go B-)...................and a dam site cheaper even when including the ferry :D .......

Although we'll have to pay through the nose in July as we are going away with tugging friends *-)........

You have to pay to have friends?......;-) ;-)

Totally in sympathy with your sentiments about the CC & it being easier & cheaper & more enjoyable over the water.. shame though as there are some great places to visit over here.

Guest pelmetman
laimeduck - 2013-04-15 7:23 PM

pelmetman - 2013-04-15 6:44 PM

You have to pay to have friends?......;-) ;-)

Totally in sympathy with your sentiments about the CC & it being easier & cheaper & more enjoyable over the water.. shame though as there are some great places to visit over here.

Billy no mates me Dave :D..................but as far as I'm concerned I can't be bothered to start writing letters to some brain dead jobsworth, who can't tell the difference between a gypo and a campervan *-)..........I'll go where I'm not seen as a nuisance and spend my money there ;-)

UK councils can shove their pettyfogging rules where the sun don't shine:D ................as life's just to short to worry about the numpties >:-)

Think we have 2 different distinct problems here in the UK, where do you park your Motorhome (when being used as an 'only' vehicle, by a Disabled Person) during the Day, to visit shops, go to the Beach,visit a beauty spot ? We have no intention of staying the night, but a Height barrier effectively bans us from even visiting. And DOES discriminate against us, because of the type of vehicle we own and drive.

I can understand local people not wanting Motorhomes staying overnight at their beauty spots, but stopping us altogether IS discrimination, This year I intend to phone and ask where we can park with a Disabled Badge in our Motorhome. I will let you know the responses. Ray

Rayjsj - 2013-04-15 8:11 PM

.... This year I intend to phone and ask where we can park with a Disabled Badge in our Motorhome. I will let you know the responses. Ray

Whoa!..steady on there Ray! That sounds a bit too much like "forward planning" for some on here.. (lol)

....although personally, if we had a Blue badge and we had been constantly facing "parking issues", then I wouldn't you have been checking and chasing up that sort of thing all along... :-S

(..and not just posting about it on forums... ;-) )

Hi All,

In my opinion even if there were Aires, it would not satisfy some people.

Aires quite often carry a charge maybe up to 6 or 10 pound. Some motorhomers give me the impression that they just want to park wherever for free.

Councils I believe wish to stop casual parking of this sort as if they allow motorhomes, then how can they disallow gypsies. The least it would do as I see it is attract gypsies.

cheers

derek

Guest 1footinthegrave
derek pringle - 2013-04-16 9:08 AM

Hi All,

Aires quite often carry a charge maybe up to 6 or 10 pound. Some motorhomers give me the impression that they just want to park wherever for free.

Councils I believe wish to stop casual parking of this sort as if they allow motorhomes, then how can they disallow gypsies. The least it would do as I see it is attract gypsies.

cheers

derek

Perhaps they would deal with that issue as they do in France,never ever been to an Aire and found it full of gypsies, a simple bye-law and instant enforcement could prevent that anyway. No lets just give up on the idea, it's far easier to welcome no designated spaces, and ever more height barriers eh, just let the car trippers have the monopoly on parking.

As for many aires making a charge, given their usage we have seen people are more than happy to pay in my experience, why, how many times does it need to be said, location, location, location. especially if you have a degree of disability, not stuck in a muddy field two miles up a lane in the middle of nowhere.

And the bottom line is if we can't find consensus amongst us, the very people affected, what chance has anyone stopping the ever more draconian way councils regard and treat us. When it comes to access and parking provision we should ALL be singing from the same hymn sheet. ;-)

derek pringle - 2013-04-16 9:08 AM

Hi All,

cheers

derek

OLD-AGE or NEW-AGE Derek, it all comes down to behaviour. Having somewhere to dump your waste responsibly and legally has a value to most people, but if you were all-timing or long-terming, then £6-10 would cost you roughly £2-4K per year ! so you can see why free is attractive.

How you can devise a system for "Leisure Users" and "Alltimers" is the problem. Maybe making FREE! grey and black waste disposal facilities available at trunk road service areas would be a start.

alan b

pepe63 - 2013-04-16 8:28 AM

Rayjsj - 2013-04-15 8:11 PM

.... This year I intend to phone and ask where we can park with a Disabled Badge in our Motorhome. I will let you know the responses. Ray

Whoa!..steady on there Ray! That sounds a bit too much like "forward planning" for some on here.. (lol)

....although personally, if we had a Blue badge and we had been constantly facing "parking issues", then I wouldn't you have been checking and chasing up that sort of thing all along... :-S

(..and not just posting about it on forums... ;-) )

No, because for the last 4 years we have been going up to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, and the problem just doesn't exist up there (apart from around Loch Lomond , and thats too close to Glasgow anyway). This year we are going 'South West' the first time for many years, and to be honest height barriers were quite rare, but they seem to be 'sprouting up' everywhere. Or is it just my imagination ? Ray

Ray,If you're off down the south-west, wasn't there mention that one of the councils(North Devon?),had introduced "over-nighting" at some of their carparks..?

If that is a the case, then at least they shouldn't have any barriers....

When you know the region you're heading to, to my mind it's certainly worth firing off a few emails to the relevant councils/parking depts....and then compile a list of possible options(...and of cause,"No-go" areas.. *-) )

On Alan B's(Snowie) point...Do "truck stops" and the like,have any form of waste disposal?...I'm probably being a bit naïve but I would've liked to think that they'd have somewhere for long haul drivers to empty their loos(..that is,if they tend to carry them? :-S)

Guest 1footinthegrave

I don't think anything has changed much on the truckers scene from when I was doing it years ago. Excellent bowel and bladder control was the order of the day, and of course there were public toilets everywhere, and transport cafes. Not so now of course, so God knows what they do, perhaps they invest in a "s**tbox". :-S

We live in a tourist area, and our local council have decided in their wisdom to close our toilets on the sea front, no guessing what folk will do if they get cut short. :-(

and probably blame the resulting mess on us Motor home users. >:-(

Do none of you realise that there are plenty of Aire type facilities in the UK already?

The CC and C&CC have Temporary Holiday Sites and weekend Meets. These usually only have a fresh water tap and toilet emptying facility.

It seems to work well and is not invaded by 'travellers'. Granted they are not members but can you see that fact stopping them if they wanted to be on site?

Never let the facts get in the way of a good moan. :D

Archived