Ban the Car park Campers!

Petra

Guest 1footinthegrave
747 - 2013-04-16 1:02 PM

Do none of you realise that there are plenty of Aire type facilities in the UK already?

The CC and C&CC have Temporary Holiday Sites and weekend Meets. These usually only have a fresh water tap and toilet emptying facility.

It seems to work well and is not invaded by 'travellers'. Granted they are not members but can you see that fact stopping them if they wanted to be on site?

Never let the facts get in the way of a good moan. :D

Yes used one a few weeks ago having had to travel a long way for a hospital appointment, £15 for the night, but I did get my monies worth as I got bogged down in soft ground on arrival,despite asking if their was any issues with the ground, and then had to be towed off by the CS owner the next morning who I could see was not best pleased despite him giving the assurance in the first place. . :-S oops is that a moan or a genuine problem as many are grass only CS, CL's hardly suited to a 3 to 4 ton vehicle.

And to access all of them includes a charge of approaching a £100 now, plus I have to say the CL's CS sites prices in many cases now exceed "club sites" especially if you're an age concession member as we used to be before we decided not to renew..

Perhaps some of you folk will wake up when your only option is to drive to and sit in a field, when the very last "car park" in the UK has a height barrier installed, or some other prohibition,I don't get it..

The bottom line is the UK has never been traditionally a motor home country, go across the water and you rarely see a tugger, I guess that's the major difference, and given the French attitude to all things official any measures to curtail what they enjoy and their comparative freedom to use their vehicles they wouldn't stand for it, end of.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1footinthegrave - 2013-04-16 1:09 PM

747 - 2013-04-16 1:02 PM

Do none of you realise that there are plenty of Aire type facilities in the UK already?

The CC and C&CC have Temporary Holiday Sites and weekend Meets. These usually only have a fresh water tap and toilet emptying facility.

It seems to work well and is not invaded by 'travellers'. Granted they are not members but can you see that fact stopping them if they wanted to be on site?

Never let the facts get in the way of a good moan. :D

Yes used one a few weeks ago having had to travel a long way for a hospital appointment, £15 for the night, but I did get my monies worth as I got bogged down in soft ground on arrival,despite asking if their was any issues with the ground, and then had to be towed off by the CS owner the next morning who I could see was not best pleased despite him giving the assurance in the first place. . :-S oops is that a moan or a genuine problem as many are grass only CS, CL's hardly suited to a 3 to 4 ton vehicle.

And to access all of them includes a charge of approaching a £100 now, plus I have to say the CL's CS sites prices in many cases now exceed "club sites" especially if you're an age concession member as we used to be before we decided not to renew..

Perhaps some of you folk will wake up when your only option is to drive to and sit in a field, when the very last "car park" in the UK has a height barrier installed, or some other prohibition,I don't get it..

The bottom line is the UK has never been traditionally a motor home country, go across the water and you rarely see a tugger, I guess that's the major difference, and given the French attitude to all things official any measures to curtail what they enjoy and their comparative freedom to use their vehicles they wouldn't stand for it, end of.

A Temporary Holiday Site is not a CL or CS Ray. The average charge is around £7 per night.

We have been down this wildcamping route many many times before and it allways comes down to what different people like to do. I for instance sometimes like to be on a club site so I can see whats going on and sometimes I like the solitude of a CL/CS which can be had for as little as £5 pn. Now personally I dont ever want to spend a night sleeping in a car park but some seem to like it, equally sleeping at the side of the road in a lay by doesnt do it for me but some seem to like it. Never been abroad with MH but defo dont want to be parked 2' away from next motorhome in some village car park. (called an aire apparently) IMO CL/CS is legal and safe and cheap wild camping

Afternoon all,

Whilst I think a lot of campsites in the uk are way overpriced, my main complaint with the Uk is somewhere to park when visiting a town or somewhere without height barriers, or other restrictions, the traders must miss out on much trade as most people usually spend something. Scotland seems to be much easier but I reckon that France is everyones real favourite.

ips - 2013-04-16 2:59 PM................ Never been abroad with MH but defo dont want to be parked 2' away from next motorhome in some village car park. (called an aire apparently) ...............

Well if you went, you'd find that generally you wouldn't be in such close proximity. :-) It can happen, in peak season, in honeypot areas, but it is definitely not the norm. Off season, in the more out of the way places, you could have the whole aire to yourselves.

In case anyone is becoming confused, a rough guide may help. "Aire" is merely French for area, and the word is usually accompanied by at least one other word to describe what kind of area it will be. In the context of motorhoming, the other words will be, at least, "camping-cars". This becomes abbreviated to "aire". These aires camping-cars fall into two broad types.

First, there are those that cater only for dumping liquid waste, usually refilling drinking water, and often a chargeable, short term, metered or time limited, mains electrical supply. These do not have parking bays intended for overnight use. They are aires de services camping-cars. Some make a fairly nominal charge, some are completely free to use.

Second, there are those that are primarily intended for overnight parking of motorhomes (camping-cars in French) that usually, but not necessarily, include the aforesaid dump, water, and often electricity, facilities. These are the aires parking, or aires de repos, camping-cars. Strictly, they are not available to other types of vehicle, but other vehicles often wander in. As above, there may, or may not, be a charge, and the charge can be as much as local campsites charge, though it is usually much lower.

Both types tend to become described colloquially as aires, without emphasis on which type they fall into. They may be provided by local councils - urban and rural, motorhome dealers, occasionally supermarkets, the odd restaurant, and some campsites. There is no commonality from one to another as to what you will find, or what, if anything, may be charged.

Some are merely loose surfaced - sometimes uneven - parking areas with no marked bays, others are billiard-table smooth tarmac with marked bays, while others again are mini-campsites with hardstandings separated by grass or shrubs, and some even have toilets and showers.

There are a few of the first kind on autoroutes, which can give the impression that overnight parking is part of the offer. You are unlikely to be moved on if you choose to do this, but the French police generally advise against, because of the number of break-ins associated with overnighting in autoroute service areas, including those designated aires pic-nique, or aires de repos, intended as rest points on long journeys (those with no fuel/snacks but usually a public toilet, usually alternating with the fully serviced variety).

Aires have their equivalents in a few other countries - mainly Germany (stellplatze), and Italy (aree di sosta). There are a few in the Netherlands, a few in Spain, and, I believe, on or two in Portugal. At their best, they are in idyllic places, and are calm and secure. At their worst, they can be scruffy tips, or in noisy urban areas, offering little to no security. It is wise, if in an unfamiliar area, to arrive well before sunset so as to be able to assess the surroundings, and to be prepared to go elsewhere if you don't like what you find.

goldi - 2013-04-16 3:32 PM

Scotland seems to be much easier

For many years we used to tour the West Coast of Scotland and one of the 'highlights' was Inverarry where we could always park up on the quayside - with a water tap on hand too - then laterly in the big new car park where overnight parking for a night or two was tolerated if not encouraged.

We spent some time fishing off the quay, restocked the van, and spent more money on things we didn't know we needed in the various shops in the lovely little town centre and then usually had an evening or lunchtime meal in one of the eateries. We would often spend well over £100 in a couple of days in the town.

The last time we visited we could not even park the van during the day - so we didn't - we just carried on through and didn't even spend a penny!

So who was the loser? Us - I don't think so - but the small businesses and retailers of Inverarry certainly are because we have never been back and don't intend to.

We noticed this attitude in more and more Scottish towns and villages the last time we went in 2008 - and I doubt we will ever now return as a visitor to Scotland.

I wonder if the local authorities care - somehow I doubt it!

Tracker - 2013-04-16 5:31 PM

....restocked the van, and spent more money on things we didn't know we needed in the various shops in the lovely little town centre and then usually had an evening or lunchtime meal in one of the eateries. We would often spend well over £100 in a couple of days in the town.

The last time we visited we could not even park the van during the day - so we didn't - we just carried on through and didn't even spend a penny!

I wonder if the local authorities care - somehow I doubt it!

Rich...I'd be asking myself, WHY had they implemented these parking restrictions(barriers?)?

Are we to believe that they just come up with these on the spur of the moment and just do it for the fun of it?...:-S

If every "over-nighting" MHer spent 50quid plus a day, then surely they'd be welcomed...but the reality is, a good many don't.

They just want to rock up somewhere, with their fridges full of food and beer(bought from the cheapest supermarket on route),set up camp and maybe get the BBQ out( at the van/on the beach),resulting in them actually spending very little in the areas they are "visiting"... :-S

(..and possibly leaving a load of rubbish behind them when they leave...Thus spoiling it for everyone...)

:-S

Fair comment Pepe and to a large degree that is true - but in Inverarry you can't even park a motorhome during the daytime!

I'm not even asking for free parking overnight as I'd be happy to contribute a couple of quid to the cost of maintaining an otherwise empty car park!

Chester is a case in point - you can park overnight (or always used to be able to) for a token fee and then pay day rates or move at 8.00 am - so we did - and often spent money in the town.

Their choice - I don't much care anymore - but we will only stop where we can park and do not feel unwelcome as we do not intend spending any of our pensions where us and our motorhome are unwelcome.

Which is why we go over via Dover more often than not!

Guest 1footinthegrave
ips - 2013-04-16 2:59 PM

We have been down this wildcamping route many many times before and it allways comes down to what different people like to do. I for instance sometimes like to be on a club site so I can see whats going on and sometimes I like the solitude of a CL/CS which can be had for as little as £5 pn. Now personally I dont ever want to spend a night sleeping in a car park but some seem to like it, equally sleeping at the side of the road in a lay by doesnt do it for me but some seem to like it. Never been abroad with MH but defo dont want to be parked 2' away from next motorhome in some village car park. (called an aire apparently) IMO CL/CS is legal and safe and cheap wild camping

You've never been abroad in your motorhome and yet you think aires are all in village car parks two feet away from one another, you should try it first, then make a judgement, you may be pleasantly surprised, here's three at random where we were within touching distance of the next van if you'd got extremely long arms,, 5 Euros including 6 amp electric hook up near Le Struthof, 4 Euros, and a free one complete with own hedged area and picnic table and bench, situated right on the banks of a lovely river, and a beautiful French upmarket village. Then check out the municipal sites many far surpass the average UK "club" site, and they are everywhere. ;-) The first time we went we were truly astonished by the experience, try it, you won't regret it for a moment.

AireclosetoLestruthof.jpg.6f34a7a36a43df7d6f90041f28823bd6.jpg

AireDordogneresized.jpg.1c69d031a5384080625082793e11066c.jpg

AireNormandy.jpg.0cd716ed77e44a03e5282a56ae2a6af7.jpg

Guest 1footinthegrave
1footinthegrave - 2013-04-16 6:38 PM

ips - 2013-04-16 2:59 PM

You've never been abroad in your motorhome and yet you think aires are all in village car parks two feet away from one another, you should try it first, then make a judgement, you may be pleasantly surprised, here's three at random where we were within touching distance of the next van if you'd got extremely long arms,, 5 Euros including 6 amp electric hook up near Le Struthof, 4 Euros, and a free one complete with own hedged area and picnic table and bench, situated right on the banks of a lovely river, and a beautiful French upmarket village. Then check out the municipal sites many far surpass the average UK "club" site, and they are everywhere. ;-) The first time we went we were truly astonished by the experience, try it, you won't regret it for a moment.

The hard surfaces shown are not roads, just access on to the Aire and all invariably some hard standing for all weather use. The first one shown the local Gendarme came to collect the fee, and gave us some tourist information stuff in English and told us of his love of Amatuer radio, and hence his very good english !

AireclosetoLestruthof.jpg.18f7b85c2c428d32e1ebc82b91e52152.jpg

AireDordogneresized.jpg.78c966978e5b623803269d9dbd857292.jpg

AireNormandy.jpg.af9d3adfb5b264e3d69812a775b85191.jpg

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-04-16 6:55 PM

Another car park, on the outskirts of very nice town in the Dordogne ;-)......

Looks a bit too much like a CC Club site to me that one :D :D :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
Tracker - 2013-04-16 7:24 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-16 7:20 PM

Nah - you can park where YOU want on an Aire and not where the fuhrer oders you!

Very well said. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-16 7:20 PM

pelmetman - 2013-04-16 6:55 PM

Another car park, on the outskirts of very nice town in the Dordogne ;-)......

Don't be silly they wouldn't allow trees on a CC site. :D

Guest 1footinthegrave

I'm on a roll now :D brand new aire not even in any books or guides we happened on two years ago, down the somme region, free and shoulder to shoulder as you can see right outside a municipal site. :-D

Mind you to please the lined up in a row merchants, we did stay overnight in one small village in a quiet side road with spaces for six vans, that we discovered had six hook up points can you just imagine that here, UK vanners eat your heart out. ;-) or come and join the freedom fun. ;-)

AireSomme2.jpg.a20ecab8cea943df61770909ed881baf.jpg

Brian Kirby - 2013-04-16 5:26 PM

In case anyone is becoming confused, a rough guide may help. "Aire" is merely French for area, and the word is usually accompanied by at least one other word to describe what kind of area it will be. In the context of motorhoming, the other words will be, at least, "camping-cars". This becomes abbreviated to "aire". These aires camping-cars fall into two broad types.

First, there are those that cater only for dumping liquid waste, usually refilling drinking water, and often a chargeable, short term, metered or time limited, mains electrical supply. These do not have parking bays intended for overnight use. They are aires de services camping-cars. Some make a fairly nominal charge, some are completely free to use.

Second, there are those that are primarily intended for overnight parking of motorhomes (camping-cars in French) that usually, but not necessarily, include the aforesaid dump, water, and often electricity, facilities. These are the aires parking, or aires de repos, camping-cars. Strictly, they are not available to other types of vehicle, but other vehicles often wander in. As above, there may, or may not, be a charge, and the charge can be as much as local campsites charge, though it is usually much lower.

Both types tend to become described colloquially as aires, without emphasis on which type they fall into. They may be provided by local councils - urban and rural, motorhome dealers, occasionally supermarkets, the odd restaurant, and some campsites. There is no commonality from one to another as to what you will find, or what, if anything, may be charged.

Some are merely loose surfaced - sometimes uneven - parking areas with no marked bays, others are billiard-table smooth tarmac with marked bays, while others again are mini-campsites with hardstandings separated by grass or shrubs, and some even have toilets and showers.

There are a few of the first kind on autoroutes, which can give the impression that overnight parking is part of the offer. You are unlikely to be moved on if you choose to do this, but the French police generally advise against, because of the number of break-ins associated with overnighting in autoroute service areas, including those designated aires pic-nique, or aires de repos, intended as rest points on long journeys (those with no fuel/snacks but usually a public toilet, usually alternating with the fully serviced variety).

Aires have their equivalents in a few other countries - mainly Germany (stellplatze), and Italy (aree di sosta). There are a few in the Netherlands, a few in Spain, and, I believe, on or two in Portugal. At their best, they are in idyllic places, and are calm and secure. At their worst, they can be scruffy tips, or in noisy urban areas, offering little to no security. It is wise, if in an unfamiliar area, to arrive well before sunset so as to be able to assess the surroundings, and to be prepared to go elsewhere if you don't like what you find.

Excellent summary Brian (as always!). Can I just add two clarifications?

First, although "parking" is widely used in French generally, you'll also find the "real" French word "stationnement" on signs (and in books) for Aires.

Second, the "two types" aren't mutually exclusive. Although some are only one or the other, a great many (possibly most) actually offer servicing AND overnighting.

Guest 1footinthegrave

And let's not forget what may be the only true equivalent of an aires de services et de stationnement camping-car facility in the UK......................at least one UK council is enlightened. ;-)

Or is it just for the French who pop over on a shopping spree for French perfume that is cheaper here than in France. :D

Over the past 6 years of motorhome travel we have mostly been in Europe ( France ) and to parts of the UK during mid July / August using C&CC temporary holiday sites .We have been to Scotland many times using B&B's or cottages , but never in a motorhome. There has been a lot of discussion regarding " Wild Camping " in Scotland , but unless I have missed it my main question is how and where do you service your tanks ( grey / black waste ) and fill up with fresh water ? this has never been a problem in France / Germany because of the Aires / Stellplatz.  I do not think walking through a motorway service area into the toilets carrying your toilet cassette would be acceptable.

Guest 1footinthegrave
kelly58 - 2013-04-17 9:33 AM

Over the past 6 years of motorhome travel we have mostly been in Europe ( France ) and to parts of the UK during mid July / August using C&CC temporary holiday sites .We have been to Scotland many times using B&B's or cottages , but never in a motorhome. There has been a lot of discussion regarding " Wild Camping " in Scotland , but unless I have missed it my main question is how and where do you service your tanks ( grey / black waste ) and fill up with fresh water ? this has never been a problem in France / Germany because of the Aires / Stellplatz.  I do not think walking through a motorway service area into the toilets carrying your toilet cassette would be acceptable.

I wonder how Steve Feltham deals with those issues, he lives in a trailer named Nessie-serry on the shores of Loch Ness,and has done for many years. He supports himself by selling clay sculptures of Nessie, and accepting donations. He is one wild camper that has obviously found a solution, and funny he has not been run out of town for living there for so long though ;-) but perhaps others just use a site every few days to accomplish the same things. ;-)

I love Aires, Sostas and Stellplatz. Can never see them working here and Im not fussed to be honest. Plenty of good CL sites and the more remote the better IMO.

I could show you photos of lovely spacious Aires all day but they are not all like that. Space can be at a premium especially by the coast. Go inland however or into the less explored regions and you will find free aires with free services and often EHU thrown in!

This is one of my favourite. Biron in the Dordogne. Followed by the Aire at Erquy in Brittany mid summer. Madness. We didnt stay. Found a perfect wild spot a mile up the road all to ourselves.

Biron.JPG.d31441fa02c178bcc8e05b7dc5ae42c3.JPG

1262817963_erquyaire.jpg.f534763cdf61244b229304e45e6e2802.jpg

Archived