Computer & printing both are HP

Mrs T

I need to print in black only.

I only ever use black but the colours keep being used up and I buy more to fill the spaces but never actually need them.

Is it OK to print in black only by removing the colours first, someone said it can damage the ink heads?

Can I print in black only when the colours are empty but leaving them in position so I do not have to keep buying more ?

Mrs T

I've got a kodak printer which does the same.

It was advertised as being the cheapest way to print but that was a lie! I never print in colour but have to replace it nearly as often as the black

I've tried not replacing the colour cartridge when it's showing empty but it won't print without it. >:-)

You can use 'printer settings' to choose draft quality which cuts down on the ink a bit.

Next time you want to print something, press the print button and when the box comes up to allow you to select copies etc. click on printer options then there should be a tab that shows colour management. On that page you can choose to print in B/W only.

Also go into printer properties and choose "new profile" you sholuld then be able to specify a custom profile that only prints in black and white.

I dont know if this would work; if your printer uses individual colour cartridges, try putting black in each one.

Guest 1footinthegrave

To my knowledge all inkjet printers have on cartridge chips that effectively tell the printer the correct cartridges are installed so black in all I think you'll find is not a solution, in addition the printer will everytime you turn it on will cycle and use ink from all cartridges to prime and self clean the heads in any event that's a design of inkjet printers.

If you only ever want to print in B&W the best way forward is a cheap mono laser printer. ;-) the cost of which would soon be recouped on not buying unnecessary inkjet cartridges as you are doing now. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-15 7:30 PM

To my knowledge all inkjet printers have on cartridge chips that effectively tell the printer the correct cartridges are installed so black in all I think you'll find is not a solution,

You're probably right on that one, but how about getting those inkjet refill kits and filling the colour cartridges with black ink, that'd work 'cos the printer would recognise the chip.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mrs T - 2013-04-15 9:05 PM

Thanks Donna, all OK,

The advanced info has a Gray scale tab then a 'Black ink only' line. All done and tested OK thanks

Mrs T

But you'll find it will still use the colour cartridges up as I outlined. :'( that's exactly what you've been experiencing and will continue to do so.

Guest 1footinthegrave
donna miller - 2013-04-15 8:33 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-15 7:30 PM

To my knowledge all inkjet printers have on cartridge chips that effectively tell the printer the correct cartridges are installed so black in all I think you'll find is not a solution,

You're probably right on that one, but how about getting those inkjet refill kits and filling the colour cartridges with black ink, that'd work 'cos the printer would recognise the chip.

Not necessarily I'm afraid, a bit of C&P below. Although I did try with a Lexmark some years ago and ended up chucking down the tip ! Your probably aware that printers are sold at a loss, with the aim of selling you expensive cartridges, and they are getting ever more smarter to detect tampering.

Refilling ink cartridges on our own requires confidence and more importantly talent to do so. It offers us both sides of the coin – most affordable rates and a disaster if refilling doesn't go right.

One way of refilling involves drilling a small hole in the cartridge and pushing ink into it using a syringe. Once done, the hole can be sealed off either by pouring liquid wax on it or melting the plastic around the cartridge with a hot object.

There is one risk though with refilling. Chips mounted on ink cartridges are so smart that they recognize refills and can instruct the printer to reject refills. Simply refilling the cartridges does not trick the chip. It must either be reset using software, taped over or otherwise rendered inoperable depending on the cartridge.

Another hack could be to disable the chip and the user must actively check ink levels during usage as he could run into the risk of spoiling the printer by running them dry.

Perhaps the OP hasn't investigated "compatible" cartridges, perhaps they are available for her printer, I pay less than a fiver for a set of 4 for my Epson from Choice stationary.co.uk I have been using them for years and they are very good ;-)

One printer I had, I think Epson, had a facility to allow (or not) the colour cartridges to be used to mix black. This could be "switched off" meaning it only used black ink. The biggest problem is with those multi ink colour cartridges where, if just one colour is exhausted, the whole cartridge has to be changed. This can be avoided by getting a printer that has individually replaceable colour cartridges, but the cost of these cartridges generally seems to far outweigh the potential saving. The reason you are galloping through cartridges is mainly, I suspect, the volume of printing you are doing, and hence ink you are using.

Simplest solution, as suggested, is to look for a black only printer that has the cheapest ink cartridges you can find, or look for a simple black only laser printer with cheap or exchange toner cartridges. Either would probably save you money relative to continuing to buy cartridges for your colour printer. Also, buying non-OEM cartridges from the likes of ijt direct (plenty of other discounters around) will substantially reduce your ink costs. Kodak probably has the cheapest ink, and Canon, who make a larger range of inkjet printers, were the cheapest of the "quality" makes last time I was printer shopping.

There is a theory, untested by me, that it is better to buy a printer with a cut price offer on cartridges (if you can find one), buy the cartridges at the cut price, then use the printer until all the ink has gone, bin it, and start again. Nuts, isn't it?

I have a Canon Pixma IP5000 printer that uses ink tanks, not cartridges, the print head is a separate unit. The tanks are dirt cheap ~£1.70 each. The printer will print in black even if all the colour tanks are empty. Print heads are about £50 each (now only available from China), & I had to replace only once recently, in about 10 years.

I'm very happy with this machine.

Guest 1footinthegrave
nowtelse2do - 2013-04-16 10:29 AM

I once did a check on the price of ink on (I think Lexmark) Worked out at £1,300 a gallon 8-)

Dave

Yes that's why they can virtually give inkjet printers away. :D

We have carried out some tests using black and black only.

We find that as normal when using black the print is clear and looks bright and we assume that is because its adding colour to enhance the result.

When choosing black only the print result is lighter and in some ways faded, we therefore assume this is because there are no colour inks added.

The original query was for another person to whom we've sent the details and await any comments

On a previous printer when colours were running low a message was shown saying it will print in black only so what's against running black with the colours empty?

MT

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mrs T - 2013-04-16 1:53 PM

We have carried out some tests using black and black only.

We find that as normal when using black the print is clear and looks bright and we assume that is because its adding colour to enhance the result.

When choosing black only the print result is lighter and in some ways faded, we therefore assume this is because there are no colour inks added.

The original query was for another person to whom we've sent the details and await any comments

On a previous printer when colours were running low a message was shown saying it will print in black only so what's against running black with the colours empty?

MT

Because it may simply not work, many if not all modern printers "look" for the presence of ink, and the correct ink cartridge and colour, and go through a charge and clean cycle, as I have tried to explain earlier in your thread, older printers had the print head in the actual printer, but for some years now as far as I know all of them now have them in the cartridge itself. but why not try it, worst case scenario is you'll render the printer useless. :-S

As for it looking lighter and faded it may well be printing in draft mode, you want text only printing, again as a I said buy a cheap mono laser printer. ;-) or see if there are any compatibles and just live with it..

;-)

Onefoot is probably right. I have had a quick 'browse' and you can get laser printers for about the same money as inkjets. You may even get a colour laser printer for a bit more, but these are probably budget end and I have no idea of quality etc. I do agree the price of ink is one the world's biggest rip off's and fortunately I have manged to refill my Dell cheapie. It keeps telling me I am 'out of ink' but will keep printing happily. The next time my HP inkjet decides it is hungry for ink, I may just ditch it as at nearly £30 a time it is pricey, and the 'max' cartridges are an even bigger rip off.

Thanks Donna, all OK,

The advanced info has a Gray scale tab then a 'Black ink only' line. All done and tested OK thanks

Mrs T

No problem, glad to be a help.

p.s. Have you noticed how all the men are still saying it can't be done even after you've said it has, must be something to do with that there male ego. :D I'm so glad I don't need one.

donna miller - 2013-04-16 6:13 PM

Thanks Donna, all OK,

Mrs T

p.s. Have you noticed how all the men are still saying it can't be done even after you've said it has, must be something to do with that there male ego. :D I'm so glad I don't need one.

I've got the 'print colours as black and white' checked but unfortunately it still doesn't stop it using the colour cartridge.

Guest 1footinthegrave
donna miller - 2013-04-16 6:13 PM

Thanks Donna, all OK,

Mrs T

With respect it's nothing to do with ego, it's the fact that Inkjet printers by their nature use ALL inks whether you're printing just black text or not, so before you go on a war of the sexes get your facts right. I don't know why I bothered with this thread at all now. If you don't believe the information I have given is correct maybe both you and the OP would have been better contacting the printers manufacturer direct they all have support staff.

Here's an answer from HP support following the exact same issue, believe it or not ,I'm now past caring.

Consider These Things

1. The black cartridge contains 10 ml of ink.

2. The color cartridges contain 4 ml of ink.

3. At the start of every print job ink is consumed during printhead priming, almost certainly regardless of whether a particular color will to be used. Bottom Line: Print cartridges are going to be eventually consumed whether they are 'used' or not.

I have genuinely tried to help the OP, and have explained it till I'm blue in the face, but there you go.

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-16 7:04 PM

With respect it's nothing to do with ego, it's the fact that Inkjet printers by their nature use ALL inks whether you're printing just black text or not, so before you go on a war of the sexes get your facts right. I don't know why I bothered with this thread at all now. If you don't believe the information I have given is correct maybe both you and the OP would have been better contacting the printers manufacturer direct they all have support staff.

Hmmm...still as friendly as ever on here.... might just go back to my knitting...

:-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
J9withdogs - 2013-04-16 7:14 PM

Hmmm...still as friendly as ever on here.... might just go back to my knitting...

:-D

If you're going to "quote" someone, a courtesy would have been to include my last line, if I wasn't friendly I wouldn't have taken so much time up trying to help the OP, and could have done without the male ego comments from Donna Milla

I have genuinely tried to help the OP, and have explained it till I'm blue in the face, but there you go ;-)

Here's an answer from HP support following the exact same issue, believe it or not ,I'm now past caring.

Consider These Things

1. The black cartridge contains 10 ml of ink.

2. The color cartridges contain 4 ml of ink.

3. At the start of every print job ink is consumed during printhead priming, almost certainly regardless of whether a particular color will to be used. Bottom Line: Print cartridges are going to be eventually consumed whether they are 'used' or not.

I have genuinely tried to help the OP, and have explained it till I'm blue in the face, but there you go.

stfu.jpg.50e0ba397a92e42986425ca77a790f7a.jpg

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-16 7:25 PM

If you're going to "quote" someone, a courtesy would have been to include my last line, if I wasn't friendly I wouldn't have taken so much time up trying to help the OP, and could have done without the male ego comments from Donna Milla

I have genuinely tried to help the OP, and have explained it till I'm blue in the face, but there you go ;-)

What???? Is this a lesson on how to win friends and influence people?

You gave some good advice - what folk do with it is up to them!

Blue in the face? Do you have a dicky heart? It was hardly rocket science.

I would respectfully suggest that you get over yourself :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
Well I've certainly learnt my lesson, I'll never bother trying to help anyone with a problem on here again, thanks girls.

Archived