Clubs - worth the money?

Tony Jones

Hi Tony

Wouldn't touch the CCC again but still a member of the CC. The only reason is that they have always had the cheapest ferry crossing via Dunkirk. The difference over the years has paid my membership which is now £42.00. I also use the CL's in the UK. They have some good ones. To be fair probably no better than the CCC but thats a subject I will not go into. These clubs only need to cross you once. There are plenty of others to offer similar facilities. I would suggest it is worth being a member of one of them, which one is your choice.

Art

Left the CC this year, as we only use our van abroad any way. ACSI suit us best, and you can get the Carnet through them if needed. Handy as you do not need to leave passport at sites. I always felt that the CC is still really for caravans, as sites seemed to be in out of the way places, or you could not get in when you wanted to

Ferry fares I found where cheaper bought direct., and the CC did not do the Portsmouth/Cherborug crossing ( as it does not take caravans)

For us not worth the £42 per year

PJay

We use the c&cc temporary holiday sites mid summer , but not for weekend meets we never use the main sites as they are too expensive and you have to have two nights to get 1 day in as its in after 12 noon and off before 12 noon. After going to our local DA AGM and hear the commitee pleading poverty with the weekend meets not paying for themselves and putting the weekend fee's up when they have in excess of £25k in the account seems a bit off , especially when other DA's can use the same venue and charge less for the weekend . Someone somewhere is not getting their sums right. As for the monthly club magazine what a waste of time it is every page has the club hard sell no doubt some people like camping with safety in numbers  , but we like to go it alone thanks and not contribute to the freeloaders in head office.

They even rip you off on a Camping Card (formally a Camping Carnet) Hymer Club only charge £3.

We are members of both clubs but only for CL & CS's as it's so dam difficult to stop for the night in this country. I think this year I'll join Britstops & ditch CC you only save 1 or 2 pounds on ferry bookings these days. Just about worth keeping CCC membership as it saves a fortune on Forestry Commision sites an we go to the New forest a couple of times a year.

Edit:

Why are they allowed to be called clubs?

A club by definition is a non profit making organisation run by it's members for the benefit of the members!

Oh well at least my niece gets a very good salary working for the CC and gets her picture in the mag every month (lol)

Perhaps only the individual can make that decision.

We have belonged to both main Clubs for 27 and 19 years respectively, joining one when we were tent / trailer tent campers; the other when we bought a caravan. I sometimes wonder if renewing is just a habit. Or inertia.

So occasionally I ask if the items we buy, and the services we use, make the membership fees worthwhile? And when I add things together, then yes it is:

- We use 2 CC Sites, en route to Dover, 3 times a year. I think that saves us the membership fee.

- We use 1 CC site once or twice a year [using our caravan] for a particular reason in a specific location.

- We have a year’s travel policy with the C&CC [and having had to call on it once, I wouldn’t want to buy from anyone else].

- There is a particular C&CC site which we love to use.

- We have caravan and motorhome insurances with the Clubs – often switching between the two. Invariably they are cheaper for us.

- Ferry crossings booked via the Clubs usually save us money [when we haven’t any Tesco vouchers left for the tunnel.]

Although we spend 6 months a year in Mainland Europe, we do like our short trips in the UK and use Club sites. And yes, sites [particularly CC Sites] can feel a little regimented but I can live with that for the limited time we use them.

I keep meaning to look at CLs and CSs. Perhaps this is where inertia sets in – it’s a habit to seek out the main club sites. On the other hand, I do like EHU and decent loo block facilities.

Having been a member of the CCC for over 25 years we have not used anything from this club for the last four years as we rarely holiday in the UK now and mainly abroad were we feel more at ease and less unwelcome, and the weather is more predictable - so we are looking at Brit Stops as an alternative to the UK Clubs - has anyone tried them?

They don't seem to have a wide coverage in the more remote areas that we like to meander about?

Motorhome Stopovers is another source but they too seem a bit thin on the ground in remote areas?

It's not about the cost it's about vfm and benefits that we might actually use?

Then again off site overnighting is often easier in those areas anyway?

Guest JudgeMental
Tony has joined Brit stops and had a weekend away in Kent recently I believe...I just find the website a bit economical with the facts, as no locations identified so hard to access if worth joining. At least the motorhome stopover scheme names the establishments *-)

JudgeMental - 2013-04-16 11:38 AM

.I just find the website a bit economical with the facts, as no locations identified so hard to access if worth joining. At least the motorhome stopover scheme names the establishments *-)

That was my take on it too. Seems to be about 230 or so locations on the small map, although they do not seem to state how many, but lots of 'em are clumped together in small areas.

Motorhome stopovers seem to have about 550 in the UK.

When I first got into MH's about 10 years ago I joined both, after a year I dropped the CCC just because I didn't use any of their sites. As our touring has moved into more european, and particularly now that we are retired I didn't renew my CC last September. However on my latest quest for home insurance, more than 30 days away (current provider) I had reason to contact CCC who offer 90 days away for non-members and 180 for members, I have rejoined! For the sake of balance I also contacted CC was told I would have to join, max away 90 days, but when told the age of property they declined to quote. Bye Bye CC. On the journey south we are now using pubs, that allow parking, sourced on the net. Some charge some don't. Also have an ACSI carnet. 2.40 Euro.

Cheers

so we are looking at Brit Stops as an alternative to the UK Clubs - has anyone tried them?

Yes been a member for 1 year and used it for one night. Think its a case of letting lucky with one enroute or near were your going. More and more sites being added all the time but remember you can only stay for a max 24hr period. We felt very obliged to spend some money and think it would take a while to get used to the fromat and not feel like your a cheeky begger which we did. You could end up spending more than you would have on a CL/CS.

ips - 2013-04-16 3:09 PM

Yes been a member for 1 year and used it for one night. Think its a case of letting lucky with one enroute or near were your going. More and more sites being added all the time but remember you can only stay for a max 24 hr period. We felt very obliged to spend some money and think it would take a while to get used to the format and not feel like your a cheeky beggar which we did. You could end up spending more than you would have on a CL/CS.

We are more than happy to spend money to support small businesses as long as the goods are sensibly priced - unlike most alleged 'farm' shops - and it is for goods that we like and would actually consume.

I do object to paying these money grabbing clubs £41 up front and still paying site fees for a site on a network that also returns an operating profit - a double whammy you might call it - especially as we don't really need to be on a site in the first place!

Going abroad is no problem as no port in the UK is more than a day away from home so no overnights needed this side.

Brit Stops works for us - and a lot of others too I believe. We're now into our third year. SWMBO describes it as being like 'wild camping, but with permission'. *-)

We like staying at the various farm shop locations, and less interested in the pub sites - although they're OK too.

Mike

The clubs are better at representing motorhome users interests to government than are individuals. In essence they are our paid lobbyists and a big bruiser can get more done than a lone voice crying in the wilderness (just my way of expressing it).

spospe - 2013-04-16 3:43 PM

The clubs are better at representing motorhome users interests to government than are individuals. In essence they are our paid lobbyists and a big bruiser can get more done than a lone voice crying in the wilderness (just my way of expressing it).

I reckon that's a very good point - although I think they would lobby for campers in general rather than motorhomes.

( Can't see them lobbying for aires for instance ).

:-(

spospe - 2013-04-16 3:43 PM

The clubs are better at representing motorhome users interests to government than are individuals..

They would be if they did?

When did any of the clubs last support the setting up of Aires in the UK?

They never have and they never will all the while their management are so devoted to profit making sites and the tugger and tenter members who have little choice but to use sites.

So if they don't support us why should we support them - it's not as if they have not had time is it?

Set the cat among the pidgeons here didn't I?

Well, I've bitten the bullet. Cancelled the DD for the CCC, and taken PJay's advice in joining ACSI. I've got both their cards (discount one and "carnet") for a total of €14!

As for Britstops, we've been very pleased so far. We used two "hosts:"

One pub (where we wanted a meal anyway, that was the point, but others just called in and had a drink before cooking in their vans - all of us were equally welcome).

One organic farm (where they only opened the shop because we asked them to, as we wanted some eggs & bacon for breakfast!).

And I wouldn't expect them to list all their locations on the website, but once we saw the book with the detailed maps etc, we were very pleased with the nationwide coverage.

Finally, there's no way the major clubs, with their investment in big sites, will lobby for anything I'm likely to be interested in!

Tony

Glad you found post useful. I am going to look into Britstops, as well, though we don't usually use the van in UK, living as we do close to Portsmouth ferry, and we have lots of ex pat friends we visit while there. And they all have room to park

Pauline

Am in the C&CC mainly for the CS's, very rarely do we go to club sites although the last one we went to week before easter was almost empty and we had plenty of room choise of any pitch and warm clean facilities, and with my age discount price wasn't to bad. The main up side this year has been a lifting of size and weight restrictions on our joint RAC membership at no additional cost, so there's a chunk of the cost back.

twice joined the clubs to facilitate touring in UK, but both times ended up only using independent sites. for me they were more relaxed, more flexible and cheaper. never found a ferry cheaper than using internet sites such as aferry, so being in the clubs is a big no no for me.

We're members of both clubs and have been on one rally with CCC and due to go on our first rally with the caravan club.We see it as a cheap way of going places. We've also been on ATOC rallies where members are most helpful and due to go on a few more this year :D

Archived