Starburst Marker light wiring

Grumpyman

How can you rewire the marker lights which have developed a fault with the wiring without dimantling the bathroom or taking the side panel off . The wire seems to be installed between the outside shell and interior, There is no way of threading a mouse down where the exsisting wire comes out, Don't constructors ever consider problems occurring.

Sorry I don't have the answer to your problem, But, we had a 2005 Starburst, And i replaced all of the 'Marker lights' because all the light surrounds had gone rusty,and looked very 'tatty', I got replacements from VWP (vehicle wiring products) of Ilkeston. ref.536000 clear, WRL39R Red. they have stainless steel surrounds.

Your problem : I had some wiring probs when fitting the new lamps, the ones at the rear are 'daisy chained' off of each other, so when i had an earth with no continuity, I used the 'Bad earth', attached a new wire to it (firmly) then 'pulled it through' . This worked for me. I can only suggest that you trace the wire, where it comes 'out' from within the body, back to source or until you find the cause of the bad connection (this is exactly what any auto electrician would do anyway....only it would cost you). Connect a new wire to the Old and 'Pull it through', provided it hasn't been pinched or secured 'in the depths of the body' it should work ok. let us know how you get on. Regards Ray

Have you checked in the 'Top Cupboard' 'mirrored' above the sink unit,in the bathroom. there is an aluminium angled trim that runs all around the top of the van, in the cupboards, I believe this carries the cable runs.

It is likely that the wiring to the rear H/L markers is fed up from below, and originates from a connector near the end of the base vehicle chassis. From what Ray says, there will be one feed up, and a horizontal branch from one light to the other at high level across the rear. Since that wiring should all be well protected, it seems the least likely to have been damaged.

I would have thought there were three places more likely to be where trouble might arise. One at each side of the van, where the wiring connects to the two markers. I assume this is what you have explored to date, so have already accessed this and not found the problem. But, have you tried looking at both sides, even if only one light is not working?

However, I think the best candidate is likely to be the connector by the chassis termination, because that is under the van where it is prone to wet, salt, and road dirt. A corroded connector in this location, that is preventing the light/s from working, seems rather more probable.

The alternative arrangement may be that the H/L markers are wired from the rear light clusters. You may get some idea if this is the case by putting the parking lights on, to see if the H/L markers also come on. On more recent vehicles they will not, but will illuminate when the sidelights are on. If this seems the case, try removing the rear light clusters and look there for the wire/s feeding the H/L markers. As above, this may be one each side, or one side only interconnected horizontally at high level.

If the problem is not with the connectors, I'd suggest you get a cheap multi-meter before you start trying to pull back wiring, and try testing the circuits individually at the rear until you find which are live and which dead.

If you do discover that the fault is damaged wiring in an inaccessible place, you will have to pull back the wire from the nearest accessible point. As Ray suggests, tie on the new wire before you start, so that the old wire pulls it through as it goes. If this results in a bunch that looks likely to jam, tie on some high breaking strain nylon mono-filament fishing line and, when that is pulled right through, tie on the new in lieu of the old, and then pull the new back through. Don't lose the ends though, and make sure all knots are secure before you start! :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived