WE'VE DONE IT!!! Finally sorted out a new car!!!

Mel B

As we've now ruled out the Fiat 500 (see other thread!) we had to reconsider our options so we looked again at the Chrysler Ypsilon which we'd seen previously at the same dealer priced at £7995 OTR.

Hubby still likes the Ypsilon even though it is not as much of a downsize as we were intending to do, but we don't actually 'need' to go quite so small as the Fiat 500, although the Ypsilon is a bit smaller than the Modus.

To confirm how we felt about it, we took another test drive and then got down to business with the sales chap - they had 4 red ones and a couple of white ones but they wanted another £500 for them as the white paint was a cost option, but I'd still prefer the red even if it they were the same price. It still has good fuel economy, cheap road tax and insurance, so we'll benefit from those still; it handles very well and has enough 'oomph' to make it move when we need it too and is actually a very good drive; it is very nicely trimmed too and I must say it feels very 'solidly' built. As hubby was getting to choose the car he really wanted (I'm quite happy with it too) I got to choose the colour so red it would be! Then the 'fun' started, we were offered a reasonable price for ours and were about to do the deed when he checked the stock ... ALL the red ones were sold!!! 8-) Apparently a business has come in and bought all 4 of them so it would either be a white one at £500 more, or they'd see if they could get another and pre-reg it for us but they'd want another £200 off us! Ahem, I think NOT!!!

Aaaaaarrrrrghhhhhhhhh ... back to square one again! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Well, not quite, at least we'd finally come back round to the car that hubby wants and not made the mistake of getting the Fiat 500 thank goodness. :$ After scouring the web I've located one at Doncaster, same price and they'll give us a slightly better deal which means it makes up for us having to go there for it, rather than locally - it is the last one they have (they had quite a few and they've been selling like hot-cakes) so hubby has paid a £250 deposit subject to us seeing it on Monday on our way back from Peterborough show. If it's okay (seeing as it's only got delivery mileage on it it should be!) we'll then go back later in the week for it, either with our Modus, or if we've sold it privately in the meantime (it's already on Ebay) just with the cash - as they'll just pass it on through the trade anyway they're not bothered either way.

But what about the 'fun' element you may ask ... nice as the Ypsilon is it isn't as 'fun' as the Fiat 500 or the Smart ... therefore so that we can still have a bit of 'fun' in a car (now then, don't get smutty!!! *-) ) since we are BOTH so very fond of the Smart (yes even hubby despite it being pink!) we may not part with it ... ever!!! :$ I must admit I wasn't looking forward to letting my 'little flying plum' go so I'm not gonna complain if we keep it, if it costs us to do so I don't care!!! :D We've sold one scooter and hopefully the other will sell soon, so the Smart won't actually cost us anymore than the scooters did ... we'll that's my reasoning anyway! :-> It will sail through it's MOT which is due shortly (it had a full service recently withouth any problems at all) so it won't really cost us anything for a while, so we'll have a bit of 'fun' with it over the summer and take it from there. :-S

How strange, I'm looking for a new small cheap 4x4 and they seem to be white as standard which IMO is a stupid colour for a 4x4. Was looking at the Dacia Duster, but to get any colour but white means going up to higher spec plus the cost of colour, so thats about £3000 just to get any colour but white!

So next on the 'list' is Suzuki SX4, already have a Suzi and it's been a good little shooting wagon, but is an unsettling ride on undulating roads, the SX4 is much more stable and they are giving a good discount at moment due to impending model change , but standard colour is white or red, the trouble with red is it fades with age and when I buy a vehicle I tend to keep it for a long while, so I now need to negotiate to get another colour at basic price.

nowtelse2do - 2013-04-17 8:20 PM

Better check the reverse uphill (lol)

Dave

Fortunately we don't have many hills round these 'ere parts! :D

donna miller - 2013-04-17 8:07 PM

So basically you've bought a Fiat 500 with a Chrysler badge. :D :D

In some ways ... yes. It's got the same underpinnings as the 500, albeit a bit longer, but seems to stick to the road a bit better and I could certainly whiz round a roundabout without a problem!!! It also has the same stop/start facility too which saves fuel and also the power steering can be set to 'city' mode to make it lighter for town driving and parking, even though its a doddle without it anyway.

Interesting Mel. We may have a look at an Ypsilon. The basic model is classed in insurance group 3 while the Fiat 500 starts at group 8. This seems strange if both cars are on the same platform/engine. The Ypsilon is definately on our list to test drive. You're not on commission are you?

Interesting Mel. We may have a look at an Ypsilon. The basic model is classed in insurance group 3 while the Fiat 500 starts at group 8. This seems strange if both cars are on the same platform/engine. The Ypsilon is definately on our list to test drive. You're not on commission are you?

Hi AliB - if you are serious about an Ypsilon don't mess about and go and see one urgently - there are only a few left at this price and that is NOT an exaggeration! That's why we're now having to go to Doncaster for one and we've got his last one at £7995!

There are some of the SE versions about (ours is an S version) but they are another £1500 for which you get manual air con, electric mirrors, alloy wheels, radio controls on the steering wheel and electric rear windows (we only have them in the front which actually suits us as the dogs can't accidentally open the rear ones by standing on the buttons!), so as the only thying we may have used would be the air con we couldn't see the point in paying more as hubby just opens the windows anyway if it's hot and as the car will be garage having to demist a frozen car isn't an issue either.

It drove better than the Fiat 500, cornering and hugging the roundabout brilliantly, and is comfier too, the Fiat 500 and Panda and the Chrysler Ypsilon all have the same basic underpinnings (the Ypsilon is a bit longer) and engine so its down to the cosmetics/body etc that makes the difference price wise - the Panda is very expensive anyway but compared to the Ypsilon it is extortionate!

No, I'm not on commission and there is no logic to the insurance costs at all except maybe because the Fiat for some reason has a higher bhp but it certainly wasn't noticeable actually in use - we're 'down-sizing' the engine from a 1.2 turbo version in the Modus that goes extremely well indeed but the Ypsilon didn't seem slow by comparison to it.

... and I get to keep my flying plum! Yaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy :-> :-> :-> :->

Thanks Mel, it will be the weekend before we can go and see one. We also want to test drive a few other suspects so we may miss out on the current offers. It will take us several weeks to make up our minds.

Well, we've got it! We went to Doncaster this morning and collected it, very glad we went for red as it looks very sporty and not a large as it does in white, plus there wasn't any additional charge for the red colour. I asked why the white one is £500 more and was told that because it can fade they have to put 3 coats of paint on, hence the extra cost. 8-)

The car drives like a dream - very smooth and quiet although it does have a nice 'growl' when first accelerating - it really moves when needed although we didn't push it as it only had 3 miles on it when we picked it up! :-)

If I was to give it a name it would probably be Yeti as the registration is YT13. :D

colin - 2013-04-19 3:05 PM

Just been looking for some mudflaps for the new Suzi after being quoted £130 from dealer, well I suppose he thought to get back the discount somehow or other *-)

Saw these and thought you might like them Mel

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_834819_langId_-1_categoryId_165675

:D

Talking of mud flaps we put some front mudflaps on our AutoTrail when we first had it. Looked at some generic ones and some from Halfords first. It seems you get what you pay for. At best they were poor plastic copies of the real rubber ones with less than secure looking fittings. The Halford ones were not even that, they were terrible bodgeups designed to nearly fit a wide variety of vehicles. In the end we fitted the expensive Fait ones though we did get them cheap through a main dealer who sold them on the Internet. I seem to remember paying about £65 for them and fitting them myself, a simple task as they were designed specifically for the vehicle.

Archived