PVC; Could I fit an extra passenger seat

snowie

Hi ;

our PVC doesn't have any "furniture over the length of the sliding door, no seat or cooker or fridge etc.

We have generally no need for additional seating. But; if I could fix a removable seat it might be useful once in a while. I'm thinking that a standard passenger seat, on its base could work. Problem is seatbelt. Unless I found a seat with integral lap and diagonal belt. Are there construction and use reg's?

Regards

alan b

Hi Snowie

I'm sure there will be regs covering this, apart from anything else it would have to be securely fastened to the chassis and be able to pass inspections and/or MOT requirements. It might be an idea to have a mooch around some PVCs with a passenger seat where you want to put one and see how they are fabricated and fixed, then at least you'd be able to see if it was even feasible in the first place in your van.

Big question Alan!

"Back in the day," we'd all just have picked up a seat at the scrapyard, drilled holes in the floor, and bolted it in. It frightens me when I think of how I used to transport passengers!

Now, you need to be sure you're "safe'n'legal." I suspect the only way to be sure of that is to use the manufacturer's own seat, fixed in their way.

All is not lost, though, since the Ducato, like most of our base vehicles, also appears in minbus form with full seatbelts. So you need to find out whether one of the seat locations in the minibus variant is in the right place for your purpose, and if so get hold of the necessary components to fit one in exactly the same way.

Whether you'd then still need "C&U" or Type Approval or anything like that, I don't know, but I certainly wouldn't entertain doing it "DIY" any other way nowadays.

The only other route would be to go back to the converters who did the bespoke" job in the first place, and ask if they can offer anything which meets regs.

Failing all that, change vans! There are several PVCs out there with a single belted rear seat by the sliding door.

As Tony says,the mini-bus type seats with the integral seatbelts,would be the route to explore..

..and as you want it to be removable, I'd also be looking at the anchor points/tracks that are used in Ambulances and "mobility vehicles" (for wheel chairs, removable seating etc).

But of cause,that's only the "nuts 'n' bolts" side of things...just how you'd get on with all the "legal stuff", I've no idea.... :-S

It 'may' be worth asking these kind of people?-

http://www.scotseats.co.uk/seats.htm

http://www.unwin-safety.com/seating-systems/68/seat-fixtures

pepe63 - 2013-04-18 1:38 PM

As Tony says,the mini-bus type seats with the integral seatbelts,would be the route to explore..

..and as you want it to be removable, I'd also be looking at the anchor points/tracks that are used in Ambulances and "mobility vehicles" (for wheel chairs, removable seating etc).

It 'may' be worth asking these kind of people?-

http://www.scotseats.co.uk/seats.htm

http://www.unwin-safety.com/seating-systems/68/seat-fixtures

Thanks for both of those links pepe; I'll contact unwin-safety ; I think that looks promising, and I'd have been ages trying to find the right product; thanks again

alan b

snowie - 2013-04-18 4:09 PM

Thanks for both of those links pepe; I'll contact unwin-safety ; I think that looks promising, and I'd have been ages trying to find the right product; thanks again

alan b

You're very welcome Alan..

..they're just some of the MANY, "..they'll come in handy.." links, that I've saved. (lol)

Guest Peter James
Tony Jones - 2013-04-18 1:11 PM

It frightens me when I think of how I used to transport passengers!

Back in the days of the Char a banc they used to use a flat backed lorry they put the church pews on the back for everyone to go down to the coast.

---------

Back to today I don't think you need a seatbelt if the seat is facing rearwards?

Guest 1footinthegrave

Although the OP may not be comfortable with the idea, if he has existing side facing seats as far as I'm aware there is no legislation that prevents people sitting there with no seat belts. ;-)

However the OP should be aware that there may be insurance issues carrying extra people in any event, so may be best to check that angle out.

In the 70's in our old Commer we would happily cram a load of kids in, and go off for a day trip, odd that we all survived, no air bags,no seat belts, and drum brakes. :D

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-19 10:39 AM

Although the OP may not be comfortable with the idea, if he has existing side facing seats as far as I'm aware there is no legislation that prevents people sitting there with no seat belts. ;-)

However the OP should be aware that there may be insurance issues carrying extra people in any event, so may be best to check that angle out.

In the 70's in our old Commer we would happily cram a load of kids in, and go off for a day trip, odd that we all survived, no air bags,no seat belts, and drum brakes. :D

Thanks Onefoot; I'll consult insurers if I get that far.

Our van has just driver and passenger seat, no spares or dinette seats etc; just for the 2 of us.

Recently had our daughter with us before she starts work after uni, and it would have beenhandy for days out to Donna Nook (while there's no height barrier!!) as a dayvan for 3. May be useful in the future.

Also one of a series of "refinements" to basic spec,

cheers, alan b

Guest 1footinthegrave
snowie - 2013-04-19 12:48 PM

Thanks Onefoot; I'll consult insurers if I get that far.

Our van has just driver and passenger seat, no spares or dinette seats etc; just for the 2 of us.

Recently had our daughter with us before she starts work after uni, and it would have beenhandy for days out to Donna Nook (while there's no height barrier!!) as a dayvan for 3. May be useful in the future.

Also one of a series of "refinements" to basic spec,

cheers, alan b

Yes I did read somewhere the assumption being if a van was designated as a 2 berth for example, that would be the limit of insurance liability ;-) or could even I guess invalidate a policy if more than two folk were in it and you had a mishap, and we know how Insurance companies work. :D

As (I believe) Alans van was constructed after oct 2007 then it should by law have seat belts on all travel seats

colin - 2013-04-19 1:34 PM

As (I believe) Alans van was constructed after oct 2007 then it should by law have seat belts on all travel seats

)* plate Ducato, converted 2010; I'll have seatbelt fitted if we go ahead, more useful, and just safe! precious cargo!

cheers

alan b

snowie - 2013-04-19 2:09 PM

colin - 2013-04-19 1:34 PM

)* plate Ducato, converted 2010; I'll have seatbelt fitted if we go ahead, more useful, and just safe! precious cargo!

cheers

alan b

For )* I assume you mean 08! :D

One other thing to consider is a twin passenger seat in the front, instead of the single passenger seat, as you would normally have in a standard van - at the Peterborough show today I saw one converter who has made a swivelling twin front passenger seat - very nifty it is too and extremely easy to swivel round.

Guest Peter James
A twin front passenger seat would certainly be easiest - bolt straight into existing bolts and cheap as chips on ebay from all the self builders who have replaced them with single passenger seats. Only 2 bolts- A ten minute job to take one out and put the other in.

Peter James - 2013-04-19 10:02 PM

A twin front passenger seat would certainly be easiest - bolt straight into existing bolts and cheap as chips on ebay from all the self builders who have replaced them with single passenger seats. Only 2 bolts- A ten minute job to take one out and put the other in.

Certainly a possibility Peter. Having had one in the van before conversion and not hanging on to it "just in case" I'd be a bit annoyed with myself; but if I could see into the future I'd have won the lottery by now!!

(looks like more work than you suggest, but I'll have a closer look)

cheers

alan b

Guest 1footinthegrave
I considered this, biggest problem was of course having to exit via cab doors to get into the back all the time :-(

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-20 8:40 AM

I considered this, biggest problem was of course having to exit via cab doors to get into the back all the time :-(

Well for the sort of occasional use I have in mind that would be ok. Just having toilet and catering facilities for 3 would be enough, and not for overnight trips.

alan b

Guest Peter James
It is still possible to get from front to back with the twin seat - an agile person can tilt the drivers seat forward and slip between them. Its awkward - easier to get out and go in the side door, but its possible in an emergency.

Welfare vehicles have seats on tracking,they generally have integral seat belts. If you fitted a short section of tracking to fit the seat,be sure to bolt through the floor and use spreader washers.

Vehicle or community transport operators may have some for disposal.

Archived