Mildew on mesh blinds

PJay

Hi All

Does any one have any remedy for mildew on the insect mesh blinds ? I have tried brushing with a new brush (Clean) . We don't really want to take the blinds off (if possible) as means taking quiet a bit appart.i think we have some mildew cleaner in the garage, (if I can find it) which we used to use on the boat sails. Most of the mildew is on the lower part of the blind, and mainly only on one of them. Any hints, on maybe just using a domestic cleaner? I can't be the only one to have this problem, surely ?

PJay

colin - 2013-04-20 8:38 PM

You could try white vinegar, not tried it on mesh but it works to some extent on tiles.

I would suggest you review the ventilation and any condensation problems in your van.

Thanks Colin

As we do not have electric , ( van not kept at home)we do put the crystals in the van, and we know (just had a damp test done) the van is now dry (also had the floor replaced by Swift last year) This mould i think happened last year, . I will try white vinegar or Milton, and work on it slowly, as hopefully should be of over the water in next couple of weeks

How do you all ventilate van in winter? Do you cover the vent in the toilet?Can't leave any windows open. We do visit the van in winter, when not in use, run the engine and generaly check it out. Living on the south coast we do get milder weather

Thanks for repies guys

PJay

You could try white vinegar, not tried it on mesh but it works to some extent on tiles.

I would suggest you review the ventilation and any condensation problems in your van.

Thanks Colin

As we do not have electric , ( van not kept at home)we do put the crystals in the van, and we know (just had a damp test done) the van is now dry (also had the floor replaced by Swift last year) This mould i think happened last year, . I will try white vinegar or Milton, and work on it slowly, as hopefully should be of over the water in next couple of weeks

How do you all ventilate van in winter? Do you cover the vent in the toilet?Can't leave any windows open. We do visit the van in winter, when not in use, run the engine and generaly check it out. Living on the south coast we do get milder weather

Thanks for replies guys

PJay

Guest JudgeMental
PJay - 2013-04-20 9:30 PM

Thanks Colin

Thanks for replies guys

PJay

My first thought was damp issues..now I know its a Swift suppose I'm right. Have never heard of this before to be honest :-S

Personally, I'd be wary of using Milton (diluted or otherwise) for treating mildew on insect blinds due to its high sodium chloride content and the potentially corrosive effect this might have on any of the blinds' metal components.

This product

http://reviews.homebase.co.uk/1494-en_gb/075366/reviews.htm

contains sodium hypochlorite (as does Milton) - otherwise known as 'bleach" - and gets good reviews.

PJay - 2013-04-20 9:29 PM

Thanks Colin

Thanks for repies guys

PJay

Our last van was used daily so no problems, our 'new' van is now two years old, when not in use is stored under 'carport' with 50% mesh sides so plenty of air flow, the roof vents have permanent vent whilst closed. Have been keeping an eye out for any damp issues as we leave all mattresses and seating in place, so far all's been well.

When in use if poss we use site showers, when cooking we leave the SLD open if poss.

Guest JudgeMental
PJay - 2013-04-21 11:42 AM

Judge

As you are always "pushing" German vans, I wonder had you been old enough, which side you would have championed in WW2?

I rest my case M'Lord

My dear uncle slack arse Mental was a Nazi sympathiser along with most of the royals and aristocracy..not surprising as they are all German anyway :-S

UPDATE

Well tried white vinegar to-day, and it works. Still have some more to do, but at least I can now do a bit at a time

So thanks for the tip

It's amazing what you can use vinegar for isn't it?

PS the van did smell a bit as if we had eaten Fish & Chips in it, even with the windows all open, but I did not mind that.

PJay

• 2 weeks later...

I too had the black mildew spots on most of my insect blinds. I used a spray bottle of Autoglym interior upholstery shampoo to lightly spray the blight and then gently agitated the area with the Mem Sahib's toothbrush. The mildew came off very easily. I then 'rinsed' the areas with a damp sponge and threw the windows open to thoroughly dry the blinds. Job sorted.

Archived