Hebrides planning

gordonhymer

Inner or Outer Hebrides ?

If it's the ' Outer ' IMO it would take more than a week to do it justice.

I found it better to travel from north to south on the Outer Hebrides as the best bits are in the south.

Have a look at Caledonian MacBrayne for latest options on ferry tickets. Used to do a 'Hopscotsch' ticket to cover touring.

Are we talking outer hebrides? as the hebrides in total cover a huge area, in fact so do the outer hebrides.

One week is just about enough to get a flavour of Harris/Lewis or Uists and would barely do either justice IMO. Also does the one week include traveling to the area from where you live?

p.s. crossed posts it seems.

Get the Calmac book " Go Explore". Try their website for this. Hopscotch tickets are your best option.All the ferry info you need is there. I am not currently up to speed on sites as there are new ones since my last visit to the utter hebs.The Inner Hebrides are worth considering tho' I am biased since I live there.Wild camping used to be easy but overuse by a minority of inconsiderate and careless campers of all kinds has caused problems and some areas are now shut off. By the airfield on Barra is a case in point which used to be a good spot. Generally however you are still welcome most places. Bear in mind that the northern islands still largely observe the sabbath so plan for this and tho' it is not universal do not expect to find shops or filling stations etc open. The weather of course is unpredictable and it can get very windy. Disconcerting in a motorhome. One at least was blown over in Stornoway a couple of years ago.This is just a quick run down off the top of my head and further thought would probably produce a more coherent account. You have to be a confident driver by the way for getting on and off ferries and also so as not to be an infernal nuisance on single track roads. Can you reverse safely a fair distance on a single track road if necessary? *-)

gordonhymer - 2013-04-20 9:34 PM

Sorry outer Hebrides is the current plan

In that case I would recommend visiting just Harris/Lewis, you still haven't said if traveling time from home is included in the week, but just to get from Fort William (say) will take a day, so there's two days there and back leaving 5 days on island.

We spent a month last year touring the outer hebrides..one week is not enough time..even for Harris/Lewis. You will find wildcamping is encouraged and water and service points are located usually by the ferry ports on all the islands...you are never that far from one.

It is a wonderful area of contrasting scenery and coast lines....to look at some of the beaches and water in the sunshine you could easily mistake it for the carribean (spelling?).

I agree a week is not enough. For example - Oban Barra one day, Barra Benbecula day two, Benbecula to Harris day three, Lewis day four and five,then to Skye on day six and day seven takes you back to say near Oban.You then need a week off to recover having missed most of what you went to see in the first place. Even diong it in small sections it needs more time. It is supposed to be a holiday after all.

Archived