Luxembourg

kelly58

We are off to France on Monday for a couple of weeks 1st trip this year and are planning to head for Charlieville and then into Luxembourg. We have only passed through Luxembourg on the way to the Mosel before , so this time we would like to explore a bit of luxembourg. We have the ASCI camping guide and would like any advise regarding wild camping or Aires type stopovers and places of interest you think we may enjoy. Looking forward to your comments . We may the round the trip off with a couple of days in Paris.

Once you get into Luxembourg you will probably find that you like it so much you will want to spend all your time there. We have been there two or three times now, staying at ACSI sites each time. Fuel & alcohol are very cheap, the people are very friendly and the scenery is beautiful. Campsite facilities were excellent although on the one campsite there were male & female communal showers- we have not seen this elsewhere in the country though. We stayed at excellent sites at Esch sur Sure and one just outside Luxembourg City which has been reviewed in MMM in the last year or so, it was only a short bus ride into the city which is well worth a look. We saw a few aires but generally used sites as they were good value. Not sure of your tank capacity but from Birmingham we can do the Luxembourg border, and first filling station, on one tank of fuel,440 miles.

Have a great trip

Bob

kelly58 - 2013-04-20 8:12 PM

this time we would like to explore a bit of luxembourg. We have the ASCI camping guide and would like any advise regarding wild camping or Aires type stopovers and places of interest you think we may enjoy. .

I don't know what interests you so it is hard to recommend places of interest which you may enjoy but I assume you will be going to Luxembourg city. I assume you will have done some research and possibly even bought a guide book. We usually get ideas of what interests us from "The Rough Guide". You will probably be aware that there is an ACSI site which is the closest site to Luxembourg city. We stayed there a couple of years ago; it was a pleasant site and excellent value. You can either cycle into the city - great apart from one hill where we pushed - or get a bus from near the site.

We enjoyed the land train in Luxembourg city.

We stopped at Camping Alzingen hesperange last year and cycled on a cycle way(mostly flat, very quiet, about 5/7 miles) that starts at the campsite and follows the river directly into the city of Luxemburg.

On arriving in the city there is a lift that you can take with your bikes up to the top of the plateau, the lift is for the carpark and pedestrians.

The lift arrives outside the courtyard of the lawcourts where it is possible to lock your bikes and walk around the city.

The campsite was excellent,

We spent three nights in Auf Kengert on the way to Switzerland and enjoyed every minute. A nice site with bar, restaurant and pool and a beautiful village nearby with an imposing castle overlooking it. Not too busy, nice woodland walks, friendly people.

Robinhood - 2013-04-21 12:18 PM

....we also like the site at Esch-sur-Sûre mentioned above, though I prefer the pitches across the dam to the ones on the main part of the site.

A picturesque little town, with some decent walking round about.

In the ACSI scheme at €16.

I agree about the pitches over the dam. The main site is too regimented with individual plots and neat hedge surrounds.

It is undoubtedly a pretty valley and village but the surrounding hills are too much of a plateau and we were ready to move on after 2 days.

Fuel is cheap, but the beer was more expensive than in Germany.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Bring me back some Amber Leaf tobacco, £16 a packet here, 3 Euros there the last time we went. :D

Archived