Mtorhome Advice

mike7692

Hi everyone,

We're looking to buy our first Motorhome and would kindly ask for your advice & experiences to help us get on the road!!

I know you probably get this a lot & i apologise if i'm asking you to repeat yourself.

We have had a dream of owning a motorhome to see more of this country & europe with the hope of going 'full timing' once the kids leave the nest. We are now in a position to purchase the MH and wondered when & where are the best times/places to go about it.

We visited the show at the NEC last October and found a layout that we liked which was an Autotrail Dakota with a rear toilet/shower.

So i guess the first questions I'm asking are :-

A) When is the best time to buy ie. end of season, beginning of season or at a MH show?

B) Is it prudent to buy brand new or are we better off with a used maybe 2/3 years old?

I know there is going to be lots of things we need & need to know but we want to start thinking seriously about where to start and if you can help we would be most grateful

All the very best and thanks in advance

Mike

Prices always keener in the winter months.

As to buying new or used, well that's a personal choice - but I would buy a used year old van with any snags sorted, and a fair bit of depreciation knocked out of it.

It's a big financial commitment, so be sure it's what you really want - worth hiring one for a couple of weeks, it will help with choosing layout and at least you'll be confident its for you.

First off  be sure you have the correct driving licence to drive a vehicle over 3.5 Tonnes, some don't.this licence must be renewed at 70 with a Medical qualification. I would not  buy new unless you are really sure  that the Van you are buying is exactly what you want, changing a van is a costly  business, the only one that gains is the dealer, maybe  hiring a van to try out would be a good idea, DAVAN hire vehicles   out and if you then buy from them the cost of the hire is deducted from the  purchase price of whatever you buy, other dealers may do this also.
 Don't get carried away  when looking for a van, nice shiney  vans on forecourt are not always what they seem when you start camping in them,and some salesmen are  not very helpful or truthful, they are commision  based so have  an axe to grind,Pay load is very important when buying a van, this means the difference  in what the MAXIMUM the van can weigh and what it weighs  unloaded, this difference in weight is  your payload[ what you can carry, and this of course  means the weight of passengers too].Storage is important where will you put everything you want to carry, outside stuff like chairs and barbis need outside storage , it will soon annoy you if you carry  this stuff inside the van and keep falling over it. How easy is it to make beds, fixed beds are best IMO as you can jump straight into bed when returning  from a night out and don't have to rearrange cushions etc,where will you store your van , will it fit on your drive at home, are you allowed to keep a van on your  property, is the gas locker big enough to carry reasonable sized gas bottles, how much  fresh water can you carry, [Payload again] How many seat belts are fitted, is the kitchen  going to be adequate for your needs, do you need an oven, how many leisure batteries does the van have, you need 12 volt power to run the van so the more the better, what about the lounging area  will it suit,  nice to have a long seat to  have a kip on in the afternoon .Is the engine  big enough for the van, does it have a Turbo  for ease of driving over long distances, is the fridge / freezer   big enough for your needs ,how far away is the dealer from where you live, you will  have to go back to the dealer at sometime for  service or warranty work, no fun if it is a 300 mile round trip from home.Does the van have a spare wheel, some don't.Does the van have a separate shower , can you cope with the size of the shower / toilet, what about  clothes storage , is the wardrobe big enough, most four berth vans  struggle with enough wardrobe space for four people, Ask yourself all these questions when looking at vans and hopefully you will come to the right decision before buying ,have fun.

As above, if this is your first experience of motorhoming and you intend to spend a large amount on a van then hire one first to make sure the layout/size will meet your needs. Whilst doing this in UK may be most use, our first motorhome was hired in NZ and our second in Aus, and these gave us some good pointers as to the layout and size we wanted.

As to buying new or secondhand, well if the layout you want is available, then it's your own choise.

I would suggest buying at the end of season and also at the end of the month, salesmen are trying to make their monthly numbers and are often more open to doing a deal. I too would go for a newish second hand one, you will loose less money that way and any problems should be sorted out by then, you may even find one with some goodies already fitted - solar panels, bike rack or tow bar.

If you like the Dakota because it has a bathroom at the back, does that mean you have to make up the bed each night? If so, you may find this tedious when you are full timing, you might prefer a fixed bed model. If you have a bed at the back, you at least have a quiet area should one of you want it.

You will also need winterised tanks for when you are full timing as you don't want to be without water in the cold weather.

I would be inclined to make a list of what you think you cannot do without and what you think would be nice as an extra and then go to a show and see what layouts there are that have most of whats on your lists, then go out and look for a second hand one. Its what we did and so far, we have not been disappointed with our van.

Thanks for the advice Cheryl!

We knew we wanted a fixed bed when we went to the NEC show last October. We found one we liked, then another which was slightly better and then the Dakota we found had a rear toilet/shower the right way round too - toilet before the shower!!

Thanks for the tip regarding winterised tanks - hadn't come across that before!!

I have seen one on Brownhills website - albeit new,6 berth ( we think we only need a 4) with a media pack and platinum pack (whatever that is). There s also one on their secondhand page to which is less money and slightly cheaper!

Guest 1footinthegrave

This is an excellent book, it covers almost everything imaginable.

"Go Motorhoming and Campervanning: Motorhome and Camper Van Guide"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Motorhoming-Campervanning-Motorhome-Camper/dp/0956678114/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top.

As for good time to buy, as far as I'm concerned a conundrum, buy at the end of the year and possibly have it sitting for months on end before you get any real use from it, and of course there's a cost to that, so swings and roundabouts. You'll get more bang for your buck second hand,, and may get lets of extra goodies like solar and sat TV dish etc that can really bump the price up if buying new. Just look for a good genuine service history, but I do recommend getting the book, or more correctly the bible above first. ;-)

If we had have done, perhaps we would not have bought four vans before finding the right vehicle for us, and losing a bundle of money in the process. :'(

Guest JudgeMental
Personally not to keen on rear shower/toilet arrangement especially if there is a long overhang behind rear axle...that is a lot of weight way out back. I think a rear bed layout with garage (singles or transverse) with bathroom between thehaxles a better arrangement. You could really do with a big garage if full timing....

Guest pelmetman
mike7692 - 2013-04-21 10:33 PM

Thanks globebuster - so there is there a considerable amount of depreciation?? I know vans hold money better than cars??

If you buy an older van then depreciation is not much of an issue ;-).................and there's plenty of bargains out there B-)..............for example :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221215592480?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-04-22 8:02 AM

Thanks globebuster - so there is there a considerable amount of depreciation?? I know vans hold money better than cars??

If you buy an older van then depreciation is not much of an issue ;-).................and there's plenty of bargains out there B-)..............for example :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221215592480?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Oh blimey not another old banger thread. :D

optional extra with that one, a petrol tanker to follow you. :D and a lifetime supply of Sikaflex 512. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-04-22 9:58 AM

optional extra with that one, a petrol tanker to follow you. :D and a lifetime supply of Sikaflex 512. ;-)

34 bids...................someones spotted a bargain ;-)...................Petrol not such an issue now days as its 10p cheaper than diesel in most places now days, you could always do a lpg conversion if plan to do a lot of miles, plus its LEZ compliant :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-04-22 11:37 AM

34 bids...................someones spotted a bargain ;-)...................Petrol not such an issue now days as its 10p cheaper than diesel in most places now days, you could always do a lpg conversion if plan to do a lot of miles, plus its LEZ compliant :D

Never heard of shill bidding Dave. :D

very often have a mate who sells on Ebay giving me a call, I never do it though. >:-)

But I think the OP wants something 2/3 years old max, not 17 years old. :-S

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-04-22 12:51 PM

pelmetman - 2013-04-22 11:37 AM

Never heard of shill bidding Dave. :D

very often have a mate who sells on Ebay giving me a call, I never do it though. >:-)

If it goes for 8k given its condition plus a rare automatic then its still a bargain................how much would a new one cost?............50 or 60k? 8-)........

Guest 1footinthegrave

I think your missing a fundamental point, someone has to buy todays 50/60 k van, so that in 17 years time theres a bargain banger on Ebay, the OP wants to do that. :-S

Must confess I'm envious, I'd love a nice new Rapido. ;-)

mike7692 - 2013-04-21 12:18 PM

Hi everyone,

We're looking to buy our first Motorhome and would kindly ask for your advice & experiences to help us get on the road!!

I know you probably get this a lot & i apologise if I'm asking you to repeat yourself.

We have had a dream of owning a motorhome to see more of this country & europe with the hope of going 'full timing' once the kids leave the nest. We are now in a position to purchase the MH and wondered when & where are the best times/places to go about it.

We visited the show at the NEC last October and found a layout that we liked which was an Autotrail Dakota with a rear toilet/shower.

So i guess the first questions I'm asking are :-

A) When is the best time to buy ie. end of season, beginning of season or at a MH show?

B) Is it prudent to buy brand new or are we better off with a used maybe 2/3 years old?

I know there is going to be lots of things we need & need to know but we want to start thinking seriously about where to start and if you can help we would be most grateful

All the very best and thanks in advance

Mike

You pose a very intelligent pair of questions, in answer to which I would say; in reply to A) when you know what you really want, and in answer to B) that is such a personal matter that no-one else can really advise. So, two really unhelpful non-answers? Not really, I hope.

On A, I think the best advice by far in the above posts is 1foot's: to buy, and read, that book. It will help you to focus on the really important things, rather than on those that first appear important. Motorhomes come in many shapes and sizes, and also in a variety of qualities, and at widely varying prices. The simple rules are the bigger the more expensive - and the higher the quality, the more expensive. The issue of size is mainly self-evident: big van more room, and higher payload. However, there are other, less apparent, consequences of size.

For example, big = heavy, so what driving licence do you have? Does your licence cover vehicles in excess of 3.5 tonnes. If it does not, do investigate the costs of getting the necessary upgrade, because under present legislation this can be expensive. Do also remember that this right is subject to passing periodic medical tests if you are to retain it.

If it does, remember that larger, heavier, vehicles are subject to different speed limits. In UK, if the the unladen weight (which you will not find quoted by any of the motorhome manufacturers, and which is not to be confused with the ex-works weight or the weight (mass) in running order) exceeds 3050kg, you are subject to the same speed limits as commercial HGVs, which are lower that those for cars. Outside the UK the same is true, but the lower limits are applied to vehicles whose maximum permissible mass (MAM) exceeds 3,500kg. Also bear in mind that there are height, width, and weight restrictions that apply to various roads around Europe, and these affect where you can go and the routes you can take to a greater extent once over that 3,500kg threshold. These matters may, or may not, be issues for you, but they are something to be aware of, and are something that should inform your choice of van.

A major issue for all motorhomers is payload: that is to say the difference between what the empty van weighs, and its MAM. This is the load carrying capacity of the vehicle, and must accommodate yourselves and any pets, plus all your possessions: food, drink, water, gas, clothing, bedding, books, computers, bikes, camping paraphernalia etc etc. You must remember that any options you add to the van reduce the payload. This applies to engine options, automatic as opposed to manual gearboxes, sometimes air conditioning, extra habitation battery capacity, solar panels, TV or satellite aerials, awning, bike rack etc etc: in short, anything that is added to the van.

You are thinking of long term travel, so you will need to carry a lot. We tend to travel for 8 - 12 weeks at a time, spring and autumn. Our total load, for all the above trips amounts to 650kg. Others will scoff and say they get by on far less: on the other hand, I am continually amazed by what I see some others drag from their motorhomes. There is no absolute rule, much is a matter of personal choice. I think we have it about right for us, and I don't think we take excessive amounts of anything. However, I would regard a payload in that region as the practical minimum for long term use.

Be very careful how you read manufacturers' declarations of payload! Most will quote the mass in running order (MIRO: often misleadingly stating that it is the unladen weight: it is not, but this post is already too long to go into the details! :-)). This will (should!) include the weight of the driver at 75kg, plus the weight of gas, water, and fuel. But, there are shades of grey even here. The European Standard, last edition I saw, actually calls for these latter items to be stated at 90% full. Notwithstanding, some quote these items at 100% full, and some quote some of them at 100% full and others at 90% full. The MIRO of German vans is often quoted based on the use of German gas cylinders that a) are aluminium (whereas most others in Europe are steel) and b) have a capacity of 11kg of gas, whereas most others in Europe contain 13kg. More importantly, irrespective of country of origin, even where the gas locker will accommodate two cylinders, the quoted weight is often based on just one. Significant? One 11kg aluminium cylinder 90% full will weigh about 16kg. Two steel cylinders 100% full will weigh about 56kg. The 40kg difference comes off your payload so, yes, possibly significant. Also note the increasing tendency for manufacturers to quote the weight of fresh water with only 20 litres in the tank. A typical motorhome will have a fresh water tank capacity around 100 litres. Should you choose to travel with the tank full, which seems to me at least likely at times, the difference of 80 litres (= 80kg) again comes from your payload.

The manufacturers want you to believe that the payload they offer is viable, mainly driven by trying to keep the MAM to 3,500kg on larger vans. Many buy, and then find it is not. It is issues such as these that are dealt with in that book, and that is why the book is so valuable.

On your question B, you will have gathered that there is no clearcut answer. It is pure preference. Some are put off by the idea of sleeping in "someone else's bed", or using "someone else's toilet", etc, or just want the added pleasure of having a new van: others are not put off by those considerations and regard the potential saving in depreciation as more than compensating for the loss of that first flush of newness. Truly, it is only you who can make this decision. Just make sure you are fully comfortable with what you decide, and then ignore the gainsayers! :-) But, above all, do get that book! :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
The only further thing I would add to Brians post, is the notion of full timing later for you is I would suggest at your point in time perhaps not that relevant, it's far from a walk in the park and fraught with inherent problems, I'd suggest many of us starting out harbor such ideas, but the reality is very different from the dream most find :'(

Guest JudgeMental
You can always replace a mattress with a new one.... same goes for toilet seat... personally moi always squats....8-)

Thanks everyone for more of your advice!!

Brian it must have taken you a while to type all of that information - I thank you for your time & advice!!

I have since ordered the book so will be getting to grips with terminology so I can make informed decisions!!

Just out of interest I have seen this MH (only on the net via an advert on this site!)

http://www.brownhills.co.uk/16189-fiat-autotrail-dakota-150bhp-hi-line.html

thoughts....good deal for what comes with it for the price....?

Guest 1footinthegrave
mike7692 - 2013-04-22 4:29 PM

Brian it must have taken you a while to type all of that information - I thank you for your time & advice!!

I have since ordered the book so will be getting to grips with terminology so I can make informed decisions!!

Just out of interest I have seen this MH (only on the net via an advert on this site!)

Oh dear now you've opened a can of worms, Brownhills have a pseudonym "Brownfools" so thats the next hurdle to overcome, a reliable supplying dealer. :'(

As for Brian Kirbys contribution, stick around he can always be relied on for the fullest of answers which can be helpful, especially if your new to all this malarky ;-)

You will also be giving another regular contributor "Pelmetman" palpatations at 55k for a van :D didn't you see his 17 year old van he pointed out that would leave you with 47k change :D :D :D

You will find the book you've ordered a mine of information though. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-04-22 4:38 PM

mike7692 - 2013-04-22 4:29 PM

Oh dear now you've opened a can of worms, Brownhills have a pseudonym "Brownfools" so thats the next hurdle to overcome, a reliable supplying dealer. :'(

As for Brian Kirbys contribution, stick around he can always be relied on for the fullest of answers which can be helpful, especially if your new to all this malarky ;-)

You will also be giving another regular contributor "Pelmetman" palpatations at 55k for a van :D didn't you see his 17 year old van he pointed out that would leave you with 47k change :D :D :D

You will find the book you've ordered a mine of information though. ;-)

First van 55k............depreciation in the first year 8k?............you could buy a decent camper for 8k and find out whether you enjoy the lifestyle, and what layout you prefer ;-)..................and then sell the camper and get all or at least most of your money back :D................but as 1foot said, without people buying expensive campers they'd be no bargain bangers for us cheapskates >:-)

It went for £8250............just shows what a looked after camper will return over the long term B-)

Guest JudgeMental
Your obsessed!..what does depreciation have to do with anything if happy with van and intend to keep it..any excuse not to spend moeyney more like. We only lost 4K at nearly 5 years in, on our last van and had the pleasure off a full spec, modern van in the meantime *-)

Archived