cambridge to bath ???

ips

Next monday morning I will be setting off at approx 9am from just south of cambridge enroute to Bath. So M1 - M25 - M4 am I likely to hit any serious traffic at this time and if so is there an alternative route ??

Guest JudgeMental
personally for something like that I would leave before 6 in the morning to miss the M25 rush hour, once you on the M4 should be OK'ish. Or leave later....

JudgeMental - 2013-04-22 11:42 AM

personally for something like that I would leave before 6 in the morning to miss the M25 rush hour, once you on the M4 should be OK'ish. Or leave later....

How late would I need to leave it do you think ?

......if it really is a 9am start, I would have thought you would be behind the worst of the rush, particularly after you hit the M25.

From personal experience (even in prime time), I'd prefer the A1M to the southern end of the M1 anytime.

(Though my hatred of the M25 would probably lead to me doing something like Colin has described, as a somewhat more enjoyable experience).

from south of cambridge isn't m10 an option? But i've only been on that once and that was by mistake on way back from stanstead, Robin, m1 might be a bit better than you remember aa it's 4 lane at bottom end now, but still odd from south of cambridge

.....you think I might be out of date! ;-) (there is no M10 any more, it is redesignated as part of the A414).

:-D

I used to drive down to London as an alternative to using the train if there were more than one of us travelling (saving the company money). I rapidly came to the conclusion that the A1(M) was a better bet in both directions than the M1 (particularly the Luton area). It was to the end of my time that they quadrupled that section, but my experience remained the same.

(I used to park up at Burnt Oak and get the Northern Line into the City - very convenient, though getting back onto the A1 at Apex corner in the evening was sometimes a challenge!).

ips - 2013-04-22 11:38 AM

Next monday morning I will be setting off at approx 9am from just south of cambridge enroute to Bath. So M1 - M25 - M4 am I likely to hit any serious traffic at this time and if so is there an alternative route ??

As RobinH says - it's not what time you leave home that counts - it's what time you hit the M25.

I've always found that the M25 ' improves' a bit after about 9 am as most of the commuters have got to work by then.

But then I go east of London so dunno what the west is like - always seems busy to me because of the airport, and motorway connections.

JudgeMental - 2013-04-22 12:46 PM

pretty simple to watch the live traffic on a daily basis and from that you can see whats going on and change time or route accordingly..try it at 9 tomorrow :-D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/londonm25/roads/planned

there is an app for everything these days

....or, for outline planning, rather than real time, turn the traffic option on on Google Maps, and change the pop-up option from "live traffic" to the day and time you wish to check.

This will give you a consolidated, estimated prediction based on historic data.

The whole of the route I've outlined above is covered by the data and doesn't (on average) predict any great issues.

ips - 2013-04-22 12:32 PM

So stick with direct route and dont bother with A414 yeah ?

When you know the route or have via on sat nav, leave a1m after hatfield tunnel and cut the corner, if not carry on till south mimms

Guest JudgeMental
ips - 2013-04-22 1:01 PM

Cheers for that, fingers crossed then for a trouble free trip next monday.

No fingers crossed about it...Take Robins advice :-D

I use this route regularly to get to Norwich & agree with Robin. - One proviso though.

If the M25 is a car park, get off at Junction 16, onto the M40 Westbound , then off the M40 at Junction 4 onto A404 to Maidenhead and then rejoin the M4 at junction 8/9.

It's longer, by about 10 miles, but that's only 10 minutes, and its far better than sitting between J16 & 15 on M25 for an hour or two!

If you do this look out for loads of Red Kite on the M40 near High Wycombe (There are about 2000 in this area now) :-D

Archived