Good idea?

Guest pelmetman

Symbol Owner - 2013-04-24 12:29 PM

Are you really saying that the Tories are considering the Australian way of dealing with asylum-seekers/illegal immigrants Dave? They use an offshore Island, Nauru. Perhaps, when Scotland secedes from the U.K., we could use Orkney -- or Staffa -- that's uninhabited >:-)

Colin.

Don't know what the island is called but how about the one off the coast of Scotland that still has anthrax. ;-)

Posted with tongue firmly in cheek just in case lesser mortals don't understand. *-)

Dave

The island is Gruinard, thank you google.

pelmetman - 2013-04-24 12:32 PM

Symbol Owner - 2013-04-24 12:29 PM

Give us a link Dave -- where did you get this rubbish from? Letwin ( on current form) would appear to be certifiable(!) [ I always did want to 'section' an M.P. when I was in social work -- you have to apply to the Speaker of the House of Commons -- but he is probably certifiable too!}

Cheers,

Colin.

There you go Colin ;-)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-200224/Tories-hold-asylum-seekers-abroad.html

Time to stop reading this hocus, Dave! :-)

Gotcha!! Letwin is Minister of State for Government Policy in the Cabinet Office, not Shadow Home Secretary. If the Mail (and you :-)) can get that eminently checkable fact wrong, what can they (or you) be expected to get right! :-D

Ooops! Apologies, Patricia had already spotted that. Note to self:- always read the whole post when catching up. There's always someone else who is awake!

pelmetman - 2013-04-24 12:22 PM.........I confess it always puzzles me why people vote lemming like for the same party every election :-S.............Its why nothing really changes...............and why there is so little difference between the usual suspects *-)......................

Don't see why that is at all puzzling, Dave.

People have their own views, usually developed over their lives. Many vote as their families vote. Many vote as their communities vote. They simply vote for what seems to them the best party according to their views on what is important to them, some for what they see as benefiting their country. Such views change relatively little, and change slowly, because where one lives changes little, and slowly.

Look at the distribution of support for the main parties and it hasn't changed over decades. Generally, Labour (still) gets its support in the large towns and cities, usually from the less well off areas of these, while Conservatives (still) get their support from the shire counties and the more affluent parts of the large towns and cities. Your circumstances, and where you live, influence your outlook, and you tend to change these things relatively little over a lifetime. So voting patterns remain fairly static, and so does the appeal of the main parties to their electorates.

Your own views, like it or not, are those shared by a very small minority. That minority has grown over the past few years, but that growth generally, IMO, reflects the depth and duration of this recession more than it reflects a genuine political outlook. That is to say, it comes from a group of people who don't like how things are, and know what it is about them that they don't like, but don't have any real vision for the future, or any ideas as to how to make things generally better. So, they protest.

They may grow in number if things continue without improvement, they may even gain genuine political influence. That may or may not, be good. It will depend on whether that desire for protest can be turned into workable policies that would prove beneficial overall, or whether they simply result in the UK equivalent of the Italian Five Star Movement led by a comedian. At least one of our present parties seems to be led by a comedian, so I'm not overall hopeful! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2013-04-24 4:40 PM

Your own views, like it or not, are those shared by a very small minority. That minority has grown over the past few years,

As you say Brian a growing minority ;-).....................So next stop a majority :D

pelmetman - 2013-04-24 6:05 PM

Your own views, like it or not, are those shared by a very small minority. That minority has grown over the past few years,

As you say Brian a growing minority ;-).....................So next stop a majority :D

Bring on the clowns! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2013-04-24 6:36 PM

pelmetman - 2013-04-24 6:05 PM

Bring on the clowns! :-D

What 8-).....................You don't think the liberals could actually win? :D..............although that said, I reckon the next election will be the most interesting for years ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

If nothing else shows the idiocy of people and their politics it is a friend of mine, that though he hates to admit it being in property as he has been for some years, a Labour government presided over one of the largest property price booms of recent years, turning him into a millionaire in the process.

He would only ever vote Tory end of, and yet he owes his personal prosperity to a Labour government, counter that now that his remaining property interests have at best stagnated, and at worse he cannot give them away and yet he will no doubt vote Tory again, odd really :-S How many on here saw their properties go up almost 10 fold in ten years under Labour, don't get me wrong I'm an agnostic :D but it makes you think does it not.?

Guest pelmetman

As you say Mike the so called Nouveau riche are just as much a victim of circumstance, as the families who have spent years on benefits ;-).................as they say "right place right time"..............and "wrong place wrong time" *-).......

Me :D..............I'm well balanced having had a bit of both (lol).................now I've moved onto just enjoying myself B-).................before my clock stops 8-)

Archived