First Time to France

Teflontim87

Guest JudgeMental
Teflontim87 - 2013-04-24 8:42 PM

;-) hey Brian, what a star. All this talk of Rouen has put the good lady off, so it's Calais to abbeville, then the coast road towards dieppe, le harve, towards the beaches etc.

We've got all the stuff, hi viz , triangle etc. haven't got a habitation alarm fitted, is this necessary?

For heavens sake......... Have been travelling this route via Rouen for over 25 years and never a problem yet..a bit of heavy traffic from time to time but hardly worth avoiding . It's the main route south!

What sat nav have you? If garmin you can draw the route on your PC using the free garmin basecamp software. Transfer route to sat nav and away you go *-)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

;-) hey Brian, what a star. All this talk of Rouen has put the good lady off, so it's Calais to abbeville, then the coast road towards dieppe, le harve, towards the beaches etc.

We've got all the stuff, hi viz , triangle etc. haven't got a habitation alarm fitted, is this necessary?

I was in France last week and met an elderly motorcaravanning couple at the Domfront campsite who told me that there were currently major roadworks at Rouen that had caused them to get lost. They had extracted themselves from the city using their newly-acquired and little-understood sat-nav (which had, apparently, taken them down some 'interesting' side-streets) but the experience had encouraged them to return to the UK via Le Havre.

I don't know what Rouen will be like in June, but driving through it on a Saturday afternoon is likely to be more challenging than early on a Sunday morning, exactly as one might expect for any large city. But Rouen's not some sort of motoring Bermuda Triangle and, If your wife fancies the Loire area and isn't that interested in Normandy and its WW2 links, Rouen should not be a show-stopper.

Tony Jones - 2013-04-24 10:55 PM

pelmetman - 2013-04-24 8:09

Getting lost in Rouen is all part of the rights of passage of traveling in France :D

As is the "tour" of Tours!

Ah yes Tony.

Been there, done that !

;-)

(Also seen quite a bit of Le mans, by accident )

A habitation alarm is a very good idea, not because we have ever been robbed or even felt unsafe in France, but just because it makes you feel more secure in bed at night.

There have been robberies and break ins in France, as in any other part of the world, an alarm is a basic and effective deterrent.

Aldi have some window alarms on offer for about £6 for , I think 4, those would be useful.

H

Guest JudgeMental

These links explain what's going on, so just do some homework snd preprogram sat nav...hardly looks like it needs avoiding.

http://visitnormandy.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/diversions-around-rouen/

Real time traffic here. So you can monitor whats going on before you go

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Traffic/Traffic_info-Rouen-76000-Seine_Maritime-France?strLocid=31NDJ3OWcxMGNORGt1TkRReU16Yz1jTVM0d09UZzBPUT09http://visitnormandy.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/diversions-around-rouen/

I am with Eddie, what is the problem with Rouen. It is a town and gets busy at times, so what, plenty of places that are worse, especially in the UK. We always just follow our satnav, never had a problem. The roadworks may make things a little more difficult but if diversion signs are out still do not see a problem. As for Orleans in a day, easy, if you intend visiting the town though, personally would not bother, nice small municiple site called Municiple d,Olivet just outside, you can catch a tram in easy, site is in CC book. I think the Loire is no more than ok, seen one chateaux seen them all, plenty of other regions of France much better, depends what you like.

Guest pelmetman
I agree Rouen's not as bad as Tours ;-)......................I'll be glad when they finish the tramlines..........I guess Edinburgh must be just as bad :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-04-25 12:32 PM

I agree Rouen's not as bad as Tours ;-)......................I'll be glad when they finish the tramlines..........I guess Edinburgh must be just as bad :D

We very much enjoyed the tram lines in Le Mans, couldn't understand why we were the only vehicle on them, no traffic at all. :D Must remember that stupid woman in that little box is out to get me. :D

I would echo what both Derek and Brian Kirby say except that I think taking the autoroute for the first part of the journey (from Boulogne) might be a good idea. Last time I used it with a class 2 motorhome it was only 11€ (this time I am travelling by car and only paid 7.50€). As I travel solo, I have also signed up for Liber-T which means I do not have to get out of the m/home to pay - it's brilliant; hopefully no more lorries blasting horns behind me!

Sorry back to the thread and before I forget again welcome to the forum.

I have been driving abroad for just about 50 years so well used to it but I well remember the first roundabout I came to - very confusing and there were only a very few then; masses now - that's why I suggest taking the autoroute for the first day and not going too far. The A28 is an excellent route but often very windy and if you are not used to it this can be quite disconcerting in a high vehicle. You may well find that you want a night's rest before you get to Rouen so Derek's, and other people's advice, is sensible. It is a nice site (now has an aire if you prefer) not expensive and the owner will help you site the van. You can pay a small sum for wifi.

Rouen is a lovely city but not in a m/home - try to park outside to the south of the city and take public transport if you decide to visit. The city north of the Seine is the most interesting and a trip on the visitors' train is worthwhile. It will be particularly busy when the huge sailing boats (The Tall Ships) are there in June which is amazing. I think they will be there this year but if interested you could Google for information. There is Monet's garden quite near too.

If you decide to go further south then Brian's route is excellent, perhaps for the second day (I go that way all the time) and nowhere near as complicated as it sounds. I often stay at the campsite or the aire at Pont-de-l'Arche and from there you can access the A154 free dual-carriageway without going on to the A13 which is a toll road and very busy. I should also mention that lorries (except for refridgerated ones) are not allowed on autoroutes on Sundays so they are nice and quiet and not so much overtaking to do. Toll autoroutes for a motorhome are very expensive though. If you get to the Loire don't forget the old saying - put your shorts on when you cross the Loire! Chenancoux on the Cher river is most interesting chateau in my opinion and Amboise has much to recommend it - the chateau's history mingles with ours and there is the museum to Leonardo da Vinci which is fascinating.

Finally, a WARNING about Chartre campsite. There have been lots of break-ins during the nights (my friends were targeted so it is not an urban myth) and the Caravan Club has advised members not to stay there. The thieves want British passports above all (they fetch big sums of money) as well as cash and credit cards so a safe in the m/home is a good investment.

On the other hand if you decide to go to the coast then there are lots of memorials to the second World War (Pointe du Hoc is American) to the British contingent which landed on three beaches with some of the floating pontoon still visible. World War I is also remembered around Rouen.

Lots to do, lots to see but the main problem will be how to choose? Have a wonderful time - you will never forget your first visit.

These recent discussions may be useful

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794797

http://normandy.angloinfo.com/forum/viewtopic/106930/0/rouen-diversion-around-pont-mathilde/

It should be evident from a map that it is possible to bypass Rouen to the east of the city via Les Andelys, joining the N154 near Evreux.Or to the west of the city via Yvetot and the Pont de Brotonne. Whether such (longer) routes would be preferable to just following the diversion signs is anybody's guess. Me, I'd go for the diversionary route and Sunday at the crack of dawn.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-04-25 1:58 PM

These recent discussions may be useful

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794797

http://normandy.angloinfo.com/forum/viewtopic/106930/0/rouen-diversion-around-pont-mathilde/

It should be evident from a map that it is possible to bypass Rouen to the east of the city via Les Andelys, joining the N154 near Evreux.Or to the west of the city via Yvetot and the Pont de Brotonne. Whether such (longer) routes would be preferable to just following the diversion signs is anybody's guess. Me, I'd go for the diversionary route and Sunday at the crack of dawn.

If a bit of traffic bothers you Les Andelys worth a go, nice acsi site here and Richard the Lionhearts main castle is within walking distance of the site.

Guest 1footinthegrave

I'm tempted to say if I had have been using these forums before our first trip to France I may not have gone at all, sure traffic is an issue in many places like anywhere, but I do not recall Rouen being any major deal as long as you remain calm, have a good satnav, don't stress about vehicles behind you, and if you do take a wrong turn just accept it as part and parcel of the experience, we spend a lot of time lost in France, so what. Trust me I am stress factor of the universe, if I can manage anyone can. ;-)

You'll soon be driving through places like a local, but as I advised earlier I'd take a few days to get familiar with the new territory first. ;-) and as Henry say's above, you can always avoid the bigger cities with a bit of foresight and planning in any event. ;-)

I've often thought of putting a sign on the back of our van thus....just so they know they've an idiot in front.

Anglais patience du pilote s'il vous plaît

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-25 3:29 PM

I've often thought of putting a sign on the back of our van thus....just so they know they've an idiot in front.

I've considered something like that :

" Caution - I am probably lost "

;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
malc d - 2013-04-25 3:48 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-25 3:29 PM

I've considered something like that :

" Caution - I am probably lost "

;-)

:D :D :D

rupert123 - 2013-04-25 10:57 AM

what is the problem with Rouen? It is a town and gets busy at times, so what, plenty of places that are worse, especially in the UK. We always just follow our satnav, never had a problem.......

Well; if all goes well there probably isn't any more of a problem with Rouen, than any other city with an abundance of height restricted underpasses!!

On our first ever trip with our van 2.65M high, we accidentally detoured along the riverside route through the city; no idea how, satnav didn't prove faultless; and I certainly cocked up; must have been my fault because I was driving.

I ended up diverting from the ground level route to the subterranean route,(there are numerous crossroads with traffic lights, that can be avoided by a series of underpasses) and the underpass was maybe 2.7M; I felt and heard the height indicator on the roof and had visions of being very uncomfortable for a while. Luckily we had clearance, and I didn't need a change of underwear!

I admit this, because there are times when we make mistakes, not because we are dim, but because situations can develop very quickly.

My advice; go around Rouen, but whatever you do don't go under it!

Some day I would like to visit Rouen, just to add the cathedral to my list, but I'd like to stay at a campsite on the outskirts. Any recommendations?

Enjoy your trip, and above all; take it gently, you'll enjoy it more,

alan b

If you have a sat-nav and set it to head for Chartres from the tunnel terminal avoiding tolls, the route I described is pretty much the route it will take. What I was trying to do, is to describe the route in sufficient detail to allow you to plot it onto a decent scale map. If you look at it in Google Earth you will see that, with the exception of the exit lane just before the short, second, tunnel, and catching the right lane at the following traffic lights, it is all very straightforward. Even these are only a matter of being forewarned, because they can otherwise be a bit tricky to pick up in time. Generally, we have not encountered heavy traffic at the times you are likely to be travelling. I would not be put off by Rouen, it is a moderately busy City, but that is all, and it is far less daunting than most UK cities. The route I described is used by 44 tonne artics, so it isn't that bad!

Patricia - 2013-04-25 5:49 PM

If you follow Brian's route, and stay in the lane he advises, there aren't any under passes. I came through there exactly two weeks ago in the rush hour and found no problems. Maybe the road works are to the south of the Seine?

Well, the Pont Mathilde is the one that takes most of the traffic going straight on at the second, short, tunnel where I suggested taking the right hand exit. So, I would have anticipated quite a lot being diverted along the route I described. Patricia's comment suggests this may not be the case.

But, if unsure, I'd say take Derek's advice and head for an overnight at Neufchatel-en-Bray or Forges-les-Eaux, and then follow Gisors, Vernon, and Pacy-sur-Eure to Dreux, which neatly sidesteps the potential jam at St-Remy-sur-Avre. Then head for Chartres. It will be a bit slower, but much prettier.

If you leave the tunnel at 11:00am and stop for an hour for lunch, you should be at Forges-les-Eaux at around 2:00pm. By then, the office should be open, and you can take stock and have a stroll into the town. If you leave about 10:30 next morning you should get to Chartres by 14:30, allowing an hour for lunch.

Or, if you want to push on, you could easily get to either Loir or Loire later that afternoon. That would give you good time to adjust to driving on the right on normal French roads, which are far better than most UK roads, and generally carry much less traffic. Just remember that most mistakes are made on the second and third days, when you begin to relax! :-)

Agree with Patricia about avoiding the camp site at Chartres. Ten to twelve units were targeted (including self) the night I stayed there. Theives can open windows silently and having a dog is no deterrent. The dog in the next unit to me did not stir whilst they broke into the owners van.

My advice would be to always put valuables (wallet, handbag,keys etc) away out of sight when you go to bed. Preferably under the bed.

Better still in the safe! I set the alarm, strap the doors, put dead locks on and then sleep on the keys as the key fob has a personal alarm on it. I don't normally go to these lengths when on a campsite but maybe I should? Usually sleep like a log - no worries!

ROUEN roadworks

CC mag come in this mornings mail which advises:-

" The Pont Mathilde bridge on the A28 /N28 in Rouen was closed last year following damage caused by a petrol tanker fire. It is not due to re-open until the summer of 2014. for more details, see visitnormandy.wordpress.com/2012/11/09diverions

Unfortunately the link is out of date, however this may help.

http://swift-kontiki.co.uk/france/pont-mathilde-rouen-closed/

Guest JudgeMental
Patricia - 2013-04-25 9:44 PM

Better still in the safe! I set the alarm, strap the doors, put dead locks on and then sleep on the keys as the key fob has a personal alarm on it. I don't normally go to these lengths when on a campsite but maybe I should? Usually sleep like a log - no worries!

But they just force a window and fish goods within reach, and away.......it's really worth fitting those small window alarms, they are cheap. Window forced , alarm sounds , then they should give up, unless valuables within sight and reach *-)

They have a flashing led and a warning label, but if they see the goods they would still do it I would think. Unless like johns example they where intent on doing 10 vans.

http://www.milenco.com/products/sleep-safe-alarms/

So, if it does prove possible to navigate without ending up stuck under a tunnel or incurring extortionate tolls, it would seem the highlight will be escaping without being robbed. Notwithstanding, at least you can jockey for position on aires whilst waiting for days on end for a shop to open and for the rain to stop...

crinklystarfish - 2013-04-26 8:35 AM

So, if it does prove possible to navigate without ending up stuck under a tunnel or incurring extortionate tolls, it would seem the highlight will be escaping without being robbed. Notwithstanding, at least you can jockey for position on aires whilst waiting for days on end for a shop to open and for the rain to stop...

But look on the bright side - at least UK motorcaravanners now don't have to live in terror that the French police might fine them for not carrying a breathalyser in their vehicle...

Derek Uzzell - 2013-04-26 9:24 AM

But look on the bright side - at least UK motorcaravanners now don't have to live in terror that the French police might fine them for not carrying a breathalyser in their vehicle...

You still have to carry them of course - there's just no fine for not doing so! Probably be a case of "watch this space" when it comes to adding to their coffers.

Archived