Bed Slats

Bojitoes

Can any knowledgeable motorhomers tell me where I can buy replacement slats for our overcab bed? I have tried one or two Roller Team distributors and Ikea but no joy so far. 5 of the slats,on the wider, (29") half of the bed have now become concave, rather than convex, this profile is now being reflected in the mattress, which, if I dont do something soon, will resemble the Grand Canyon.

Obviously I need to reduce my weight from 16.5 stone but it might be easier, and not take as long, for me to replace the slats!

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Bob

I would also sugest try turning them over, but may not be such a good idea, as the weight of sleeping on them may break on the "Bend"

You may find it is cheaper to take one with you and go to a wood yard, and may be you could get a stronger wood? They would also cut to size for you.

Good luck

PJay

Thank you all that is really helpful and I will be in touch with the companies mentioned later this week. Good idea, I think, to turn them around but unfortunately I cannot get them out of the sockets at the moment and may have to saw through them!

Again many thanks

Bob

When we first got our van my husband very quickly replaced the bendy slats with solid wood ones (he's defintely no lightweight!) these have worked extremely well and are still going strong 7 years later, although they are not flexible we have noticed no difference in the comfort

I would be cautious about sawing out the existing slats. Are you sure you can refit new slats. It could be that the whole frame needs to be taken apart and reglued. On a previous motorhome I fitted a 4mm sheet of hardboard cut to the size of the bed.Fitted between teh mattress and the slats. It worked a treat as it was flexible enough to spread the load more evenly. Cost, if I recall correctly, was just over £5.

One thing that hasn't been considered is: do overcab beds have a weight limit for the occupants? 8-)

When we had our Chausson Flash 04 it had a weight limit of 150kg for the fixed bed, due to the raising/lowering mechanism I assume, but I wonder if overcab beds have an 'ultimate' load limit too? :-S

Bit of good old fashioned angle iron, preferably galvanised, bolted under each slat should do the trick!

Actually I have just bolted a short length under part of one of our bed frames to give a secure fixing for the dogs safety travel harness. The extra weight is more than offset by fact we no longer have to carry the heavy travel cage we carried when she was a puppy.

Archived