Underfloor water leak

Mintyhenry

Has anyone any idea how to get at a water leak under the floor of a peugeot boxer motorhome 1996 Drifter. Merit 360e

Think it must be a burst pipe or just a tired pipe given up. It has been in the garage all winter so shouldn't have frozen.when I turned the pump on to get water to the taps, loud gushing sound from under the floor.Tried cutting hole in cupboard but it seems the break is under the cooker area,how on earth is anyone supposed to get at the pipes?

Thanks

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

Motorhome manufacturers have an unpleasant habit of not bothering much about access to things like water hoses that have the inherent potential to leak (and, let's be fair, your Drifter's pipework is now 16 years old).

I can't really advise on how you best approach this problem without seeing the vehicle.

The leak may be from an above-floor hose, but I'd then expect water to be flooding across the floor itself unless there's some sort of drain-hole (eg. a gas drop-vent) near to the leak that would allow the water to emerge from beneath the vehicle. (You say " when I turned the pump on to get water to the taps, loud gushing sound from under the floor", but I assume that, in addition to the gushing sound, water does actually pour out somewhere?)

It's quite common for motorhome manufacturers to run hoses within the insulation between the floor's upper and lower surfaces, when (for example) a kitchen is on one side of the vehicle and a washroom on the other. In such a case, if the within-floor hose fails, water will come out of the floor's lower surface.

It would be very unusual for a manufacturer to run a water hose beneath the lower surface of the floor, but I presume you've checked beneath the vehicle that there is nothing visually wrong. Also that you've checked obvious things like a drain-valve being left open.

As you've only been able to get a general idea of where the fault might be located, the logical next step would be to remove the cooker.

Hi Henry

Do you know which pipe is leaking ?

If so, would it be possible to disconnect one end & use a short lenght of copper pipe to join a new pipe & pull that through ?

I don't have any experience of your Drifter, but suspect all the pipes will be above floor & routed behind fixtures.

Many thanks for your help,we think the best solution is to run the pipe under the bottom of the vehicle,supported by conduit.

This will give us the T pieces below the vehicle where it will be easy to maintain.

Unless someone tells us it's a bad idea for some reason.

The original pipe runs in the cavity between the inside motorhome floor and the vehicle base.

Henry

Many thanks for your reply,

the leak is definitely in the floor space and not within the motorhome as it runs out from underneath the van floor.Where we cut the hole in the cupboard floor the flooring is wet in the cavity.

it would be hard the get at the leak as we think it is beneath the gas cooker and that would need a gasman,

Also the cupboard units are all built in and we think would cause too much damage to remove.

We just thought we may be missing something obvious as we don't use the motorhome a lot and tend to do our own repairs.It seemed strange it would be built without access to water pipes.

Thanks for your idea of the copper pipe to lead the pipe through but I think we would have a job to locate the exit point to rejoin,but all ideas welcome.Don't yet know which pipe is leaking!

Henry

Mintyhenry - 2013-04-26 9:40 AM

Many thanks for your help,we think the best solution is to run the pipe under the bottom of the vehicle,supported by conduit.

This will give us the T pieces below the vehicle where it will be easy to maintain.

Unless someone tells us it's a bad idea for some reason.

The original pipe runs in the cavity between the inside motorhome floor and the vehicle base.

Henry

My Herald's layout had its fresh-water tank, water-pump, water heater and washroom on the right, and its kitchen on the left. The hot and cold water-hoses feeding the kitchen taps were led from right to left via a cavity within the floor. Herald would have routed the (semi-rigid plastic) hoses through the floor cavity before the furniture was installed and replacing those hoses would have been very tricky.

My current Hobby has its fresh-water tank, water-pump, water heater and kitchen on the left and its washroom on the right. The water hoses leading to the washroom disappear from beneath the under-bed space and run around and beneath the shower-tray before feeding the shower, wash-basin and toilet. The implications are obvious when it comes to accessing those hoses.

So you shouldn't think it strange that your Drifter was made so that some of the water hoses are inaccessible, as this is the norm rather than the exception.

Running water pipework externally makes it very vulnerable to freezing and frost damage, which is why motorhome manufacturers don't do it. Your planned approach cannot be considered desirable but, if replacing the leaking pipe will involve major dismantling (after which, you might still find it difficult to replace the pipe in the floor cavity) then so be it.

If you do run new pipework beneath the floor, I suggest you consider adding an insulated removable cover over the pipework to provide it with protection from potential frost and road-debris damage.

• 4 months later...

Archived