Spain in winter

Neil bom

Guest pelmetman
Christmas is 3 months now 8-)....................but ;-)...........depending on whether your 3 months is prior to Christmas, then camping Kiko is right on the beach at Olivia............if after Christmas then you will need to move further South to La Manga etc :D

Benicassim is a good place to spend Christmas, two camp sites to choose from , Bonterra and Azahar, , nice beach, nice town, great festival in Jan / Feb, they build a Bull Ring in the town, free to watch the lads get in  with the Bulls and get tossed, easy  trip to Valencia, coaches laid on from the sites, great walks in Mountains  and along disused Railway track.Paved prom about 10 miles long . Lidl and other Supermarkets in town, weekly Market, We spent two [ Christmas } periods of  40 nights at Azahar in our Camp Site days, prefer wild camping now.

I am a "La Toretta", Benidorm fan having camped there in my motorhome for the past 4 christmasses. Five minute walk to the bus stop or a 5/10 minute walk to the shops and restaurants. Site fees for long stays averages 13 euros a day including 4kw electric. Fantastic warm climate that time of the year.

Ian

hi, i am the same as lookback, benidorm all the way for us, but we stay at el raco mainly because we prefer the individual hedged pitches.but la toretta is definitely good if you don't want to walk too far.the beach is only half a mile away. benidorm has everything to offer, hustle and bustle in the town,if that's what you want,or,peace and quiet,if you choose to visit albir /altea, just one of many places.we spent 3 months there and still didn't manage to do and see everything we had planned.and i noticed that even though further south usually managed a couple of degrees warmer,they get a lot more rain than benidorm.also, because benidorm is so popular,this is reflected in the price you pay for a meal or a drink.

First time we are having a long winter holiday and have booked into La Torreta from middle September until middle of October with site fees now €15 including 4 kW for 31+ nights. Beni is not every-bodies cup of tea but you don't need to visit the lively spots to enjoy. I understand that unlike many of the spots on the Costas, Beni does not shut down so you will always find something to do.

Have another two months to fit in so may well stay put at La Torreta, Villasol, El Racho, ++ or roam about a bit before coming home.

Whatever I intend to enjoy and I think there is going to be a meet up of a number of members from here. :-D

• 1 month later...
Myself, Suzi and Jake (our Collie) are heading to Spain to miss the Scottish permafrost this winter, plan to cross the channel around 30th dec13, then heading down to southern Spain returning to UK end of march 14. We wild camp most of the time in Scotland and have aired it in France 2011, other than this we are newbie motorhomers and looking forward to our 3month break. We are experienced travellers having motorcycled and camped all over Europe, but a wee bit different now so would appreciate any help/ advice for our trip including aires, free camping, sites etc. Thanks

guzziboy50 - 2013-06-13 4:40 PM

Myself, Suzi and Jake (our Collie) are heading to Spain to miss the Scottish permafrost this winter, plan to cross the channel around 30th dec13, then heading down to southern Spain returning to UK end of march 14. We wild camp most of the time in Scotland and have aired it in France 2011, other than this we are newbie motorhomers and looking forward to our 3month break. We are experienced travellers having motorcycled and camped all over Europe, but a wee bit different now so would appreciate any help/ advice for our trip including aires, free camping, sites etc. Thanks

Our collie comes with us too. My advice is depending on your route, for Spain get over to the Med south of Valencia, (too cold further north in Jan) and stick to the coast. Get the navigator to switch on the "Vandar" and look for vans parked up, you will see them at all points right down as far as Gib and beyond. You could get "All the Aires in Spain and Portugal" book plus the ACSI card and book(s) and simply see what you find. You will certainly get advice from other vanners, some of it good and some useless. Finally don't. I repeat DON'T believe tales of problems from folks who have heard "this or that" from someone else, always ask the teller "did this happen to you?" or "did you see this happen?" or "were you there?" or "how long ago was this?".

Usually the tale is 2nd or 3rd hand and of no value. Safe travelling.....maybe we'll see you, we always speak to Collie owners, ours is red & white.

My only suggestion is to check with any campsites you might fancy well before you go as the good ones are usually very full. Many start the stay in October until March and I know the site I use had a queue in January of people at the gate waiting for a pitch, and this is on a site with well over 100 pitches. One of my co campers asked for a pitch through to November and had a very limited choice, much to his disappointment, but they were all booked right through.

The other suggestion is to be prepared for both good an bad weather. This last winter saw a great deal of high winds and often cool weather. Spring was very late not really getting going until May and even then temperatures were in the high teens for a lot of the time. Yes, you will get better weather than the UK but it will not be hot summer that you may imagine. Each year of course is likely to be different but the last few have been disappointing compared to previous ones.

Do also remember the days will be short and there will be a lot of dark time so a TV, good books,games etc are essential. Many of course enjoy group entertainment and make that part of the deal. Bingo nights, dances, arranged walks etc are all popular. They meet with friends from previous years and have a good time, although I accept it is not my choice at this time of life.

As for wildcamping, I have no real experience but again beware of parking too close to the sea as wind and tide may be an issue. That of course may be an attraction to watch the elements at work.

Whatever you do, enjoy your trip. I am currently in Spain having been there since late April but will head for home come October time. Yes, it is hot but that is what I came for. Scotland does not have summer any more.

guzziboy50 - 2013-06-13 5:12 PM

hope we do meet up our collie Jake is red and white!!. your choice of route sounds great, warm this winter is what we want to be, this was my first post, so very much appreciate the response

As you will gather, on this forum there are many different views on all matters. We find it incomprehensible that owners of m/h's set up camp for months at a time on sites, we simply don't understand, however its their choice and they must like it. Our style of camping is to do sites, aires and to free camp and we tend to mix this style up during the course of our winter trips, with the majority of nights being free.

If we didn't go onto some sites we wouldn't meet up with some friends, similarly if we didn't free camp we would miss seeing some others on our trips. Without exception all the people we now have as friends in the m/homing community were met on our travels over the years. Most importantly we like some of the time to be on our own, doing our own thing; this last winter, again without exception we were never alone when free camping or on aires. Must try harder next winter!! roll on getting to Portugal.

Guest JudgeMental

Surely overwintering different? We tour every holiday in season, but out of season? What's the point *-)

Benidorm great, as many others realise. It is busy year round, everything open, and the cheapest place ever because of all the competition....If you book for a month and you can have a 3/4 star site for a tenner a night...

We like moving around and motorhoming gives us that choice - free camping, aires, campsites but normally not for lengthy spells.( we live in a house in scotland which is firmly fixed to the ground and goes nowhere!! ). Our plan for next winter is to tour our way to southern Spain via an as yet undecided route, but possibly Med coast via Valencia. We plan to Tour the Costas staying at various locations and returning to UK on a different route. My questions are ferry or tunnel, toll road or not (we won't be ina hurry) and the "freecamping" mentioned in various posts. Freecamping or wildcamping as it is here, is normally - look for nice quiet spot tuck in so as not to impede others, ie; forestry/beach carpark, laybys (permitted) or secluded uninhabited areas. Can I have some pointers as to where i can and can't "freecamp" in France and Spain. Thank you

Guest JudgeMental

where are going to tour when most places are minus zero and/or snowing, its normally a quick dash to the Med :-D

Most of the places will be quiet ..not all of Spain busy or open out of season. As for how you get there, entirely up to you and your wallet and the weather...

routes discussed frequently. try using the search function. we use tunnel or ferry, our preference tunnel, as its so fast ( but now as retired depending on price). We take the westerly route using N roads, and some tolls for slow parts..we use tolls in Spain as they are reasonable. camper charged the same as cars Class1

JudgeMental - 2013-06-14 11:47 AM

Surely overwintering different? We tour every holiday in season, but out of season? What's the point *-)

Benidorm great, as many others realise. It is busy year round, everything open, and the cheapest place ever because of all the competition....If you book for a month and you can have a 3/4 star site for a tenner a night...

Yes, you can have it all for a tenner/night, piled high and sold cheap.....well you're welcome to it....a month in Benidorm! Whats the point?....having once endured a week there, another day would be too long for me....thanks but no thanks.

A quick dash thro' France and then to the Costas on route to Portugal, one of the most friendly countries we've ever been.....apart from the Algarve that is, seems like a different country, similar to Benidorm!

Stay as far south as possible then a slower, not quite a dash back, following the spring.

Guest JudgeMental
sshortcircuit - 2013-06-14 2:56 PM

I take it thats one less grumpy visitor to Benidorm? It gets better all the time :-D

Indeed.....with no reasons given...bizarre! :-D

starvin marvin - 2013-06-14 2:29 PM

Yes, you can have it all for a tenner/night, piled high and sold cheap.....well you're welcome to it....a month in Benidorm! Whats the point?....having once endured a week there, another day would be too long for me....thanks but no thanks.

A quick dash thro' France and then to the Costas on route to Portugal, one of the most friendly countries we've ever been.....apart from the Algarve that is, seems like a different country, similar to Benidorm!

Stay as far south as possible then a slower, not quite a dash back, following the spring.

The people on Aigarve are friendly and it is far cheaper than Spain, sites not as good as those in Spain but if you avoid the free campers parked cheek by jowl in car parks looking link the great unwashed you can have a good time for far less money than Spain.

Dave

Benidorm is a city , me - I'm a town / country boy, looking for quiet(ish) time certainly won't be going to busy campsites , don't use them here, not my / our thing. we like walking the dog on a nice quiet beach or hill . on the subject of Portugal, is it not a lot cooler as it backs on to the atlantic? We have been to Portugal before, flew in and stayed on coast north of Lisbon (February).yes very friendly.

You guys have got me thinking now, maybe I'll just see where my wheels take me!! ,but will do a lot more research between now and hogmanay.

Guest pelmetman
starvin marvin - 2013-06-14 2:29 PM

We prefer Calpe at that time of year..............all the facilities, but less crowded, and the weather is dryer and warmer as its normally dumped all its rain by the time it gets there B-)..............Calpemar is a bit tight on pitch size but you can't have everything :D

Neil bom - 2013-04-24 9:48 PM

Please can anyone suggest any where to stay for about 3 months over Xmas Would prefer near the beach .

Spain is a very big country. A VERY big country. It depends on what you want.

Do you want a busy, "proper" campsite, a basic Aire, or wildcamping?

Do you want to be near a beach on the Atlantic/Northern coast of Spain, the East Med coast, or the South Med coast; or even further East than Gibraltar?

Do you want city, or town, or village, or countryside environment?

Do you want one place for the whole 3 months, or a change every few days?

If you can refine down your thoughts a little more, we could probably give more helpful advice.

Agree with Pelmetman though; the CalpeMar site in Calpe on the Costa Blanca is an excellent site, within a couple of minutes stroll of the town centre and lovely beaches, it takes the ACSI discount card, and gives discounts for longer stays, and the staff speak English.

And the site has been extended a bit this last spring, and there's another little extension going on at the moment too.

We actually parked overnight outside it only last night, to go for a cheap chinky meal in the fantastic "Pato Laquerdo" Chinese restaurant about 200 metres away; on the final night of our 4 weeks chug around mid & northern Portugal and northern Spain.

But you MUST BOOK way way ahead if you want to get in there for an extended period this coming winter, as it is so popular. Book right now with them if you want to get in there this coming winter.

Incidentally, a large number of motorhomers do actually wildcamp in the network of streets/parking areas around Calpe behind the CalpeMar site thoughout the winter too.

Archived