That Wretched Cookie Banner - again!

Tracker

If you're using Internet Explorer Patricia, you can kill one kind of animation by clicking on "Tools", then "Manage add-ons" and then look for "Shockwave flash object" and select "Disable".

Then open "Tools" again, then "Internet options" and click the "Advanced" tab. Scroll down under "Settings" until you get to "Multimedia" and then uncheck "Play animations in web pages". With any luck that should stop the inane jiggling of the other lot! :-) Good luck.

Tracker - 2013-05-02 11:01 AM

Those that do not get the banner each time they switch on their computer may not be using a very worthwhile programme such as CCleaner which removes at start up all the crud like temporary files and cookies and tracking devices etc stored on your machine by websites during use.

Is this 'expert' opinion, or just because it's what you do yourself?

(This is not a smart-ass question - I've no idea what you do/have done for a living, so you may well have had a long career in IT and are offering this advice based on that experience.)

Derek Uzzell - 2013-05-03 8:33 AM

Tracker - 2013-05-02 11:01 AM

Those that do not get the banner each time they switch on their computer may not be using a very worthwhile programme such as CCleaner which removes at start up all the crud like temporary files and cookies and tracking devices etc stored on your machine by websites during use.

Is this 'expert' opinion, or just because it's what you do yourself?

(This is not a smart-ass question - I've no idea what you do/have done for a living, so you may well have had a long career in IT and are offering this advice based on that experience.)

I have no expertise in computers bar my own personal experience over the years and the combined knowledge of my brother and my son who do both have some software writing and computer building and maintenance skills.

So I tend to base what I do on that combination - not that the two of them ever fully agree on everything!

Apologies if I gave the impression of being some kind of expert - 'cos I ain't!.

JamesFrance - 2013-05-02 7:28 PM

You need to keep the cookies to stop the banner coming back. For the other stuff install the Adblock Plus extension if you use Firefox and they are gone.

James thank you for that advice. I have installed Adblock Plus, refreshed this page and all moving ads have disappeared - brilliant.

Brian thank you too for your suggestion but at the moment I am using Firefox.

Tracker I use CCleaner too. If you go into Options (bottom of list on the left), choose cookies and edit the list by putting the cookies that you wish to keep into the right-hand column. I have just put Out and About into the save list but still have to log on again to try it.

Patricia you can set firefox to delete all cookies on closure but add sites you trust like this one as exceptions. You can then set CCleaner to leave Firefox cookies alone and you should be recognised by all your trusted sites.

CCleaner is widely recommended by security experts on sites like Bleeping Computer, but they warn against using the registry cleaner which has been known to cause problems. If you set it to run on startup you get a notification from User Account Control with Vista and later which is annoying.

Patricia - 2013-05-03 10:01 AM

Tracker I use CCleaner too. If you go into Options (bottom of list on the left), choose cookies and edit the list by putting the cookies that you wish to keep into the right-hand column. I have just put Out and About into the save list but still have to log on again to try it.

Thanks Patricia - but I must be doing summat wrong as the save list seems to empty itself? Duh!!

I must have done something wrong too as the cookie notification came up again when I logged in! James could you be a bit more specific how to go about where to look to change cookie configurations please?

I have also just realised that the link to a thread which is included in the email notification no longer works and I have to copy and paste it in the browser.

I noticed the email links are no longer live for some reason, they have been like that for a while.

Patricia in Firefox go to Tools>Options>Privacy. There is a button to click for Exceptions where you can put the site address then click allow. I presume you have Allow cookies and Keep until I close Firefox selected. If you do that you only keep the sites you have allowed, so you should be recognised when you visit them.

I hope that deals with the banner as I haven't seen it since it first appeare and I allowed them.

I have done as you suggested and found the Exceptions tab under Security writing in this website. Logged out and back in again but cookie banner still there at the moment. I probably have to restart for it to work.

However I don't understand the following: " I presume you have Allow cookies and Keep until I close Firefox selected" and couldn't find it anywhere. I always have Firefox on Private Browsing though.

I now need to try to instal the free version of AVG as McAfee has just expired!

Really appreciate your help.

You won't see that if you are using private browsing as you are not storing any cookies when you use that.

If you are uninstalling McAfee you should run the removal tool afterwards to get rid of the remains.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

Personally I use Comodo Internet Security which is free and gives much more protection than any antivirus program alone.

Archived