Aire at Fontaine de Vaucluse

Mardee

We stayed on this aire 2 weeks ago. It is a very good aire and convenient for the town There were notices stating that it was to close at night and refering Motorhomes to the new aire on the other side of the river. There was also an official notice saying that the only places Motorhomes could park overnight were the campsite and the new aire.

The new aire is barrier controlled and needs a code to operate it. There is a number to phone and the code will be texted to you or there is an option of a prepaid card. I can see this causing problems at busy times The cost is 12 Euros per night and you have to leave by 12 midday the next day. There is free wifi and a bourne with 2 electric points and water and disposal. It is not so handy for the town and the road does not have a pavement along its length nor are the views so good

I noted that the old aire was recommended in the article on Provence in this months MMM.

Regards

Margaret and David

Guest JudgeMental
while it sounds OK in principal, and nice to see wifi.... there are hardly any sites, and if anyone can turn up and pay at gate in high season whats the chance of getting on a popular well situated one....

Thank you for the information Mardee, even though it is a little disappointing.

We’ve stayed on this (old) aire a couple of times over the years. It was very pleasant alongside the river and with lots of mature tree for shade. However, I did wonder how long it would last. The cost, from memory was only €3, payable as you left and irrespective of the number of nights spent there. It was just too good to last – and it seems it’s now gone. :'(

More and more French Councils are realising that there is money to be made from motorhome users and really we can't blame them.

Cattwg :-D

If it's going to be this difficult to get on aires in the future, it's either municipal camp sites, which are pretty cheap, scrupulously clean and easy to turn up and find a pitch.  But they aren't always near to where you want to be.  I don't want to have to prebook in expensive sites in fairly high season.

The new aire is intended for up ro 30 vans. Space would be very tight. Also having to leave by 12 midday takes away the freedom that aires give. We only travel in low season so don't see the pressure on space in high season.

It would be just as well going to an ACSI site and pay a few euros more but they are not often in villages. We like many others enjoy having a walk around a village after we are settled and like to go to the local Boulangerie in the morning

Margaret and David

Archived