Winter Trip Early 2013

starvin marvin

Just back, (last Fri) from our winter away, left home just ahead of some snow on 16th Jan. Used the tunnel, Tesco vouchers, cost £1 for the return crossing plus £30 for the dog.

Back home 19th April, away 93 nights, distance travelled 4,183 miles. Total spend 3,728 euro's, which is approx 90 cents per mile. My target spend was £1/mile so well in on cost.

As we never book anywhere the mileage driven could be anything, experience is that a trip through France, Spain and into Portugal is not going to come in under 4k miles, so our target spend of £4k was about right.

We had 32 nights on sites, cheapest 11 euros, most expensive 23.70 euros. Cheapies, (ie less than 7 euros) 13 nights, cheapest 4 euros, most expensive 6 euros, (all in Portugal). Free nights were 48, these include the 4 nights down through a very cold France on our usual aires with free electricity. This is more paid nights than is usual for us, but we were meeting some friends who reluctantly free camp. Surprisingly there where some places we wanted to go that pushed us towards sites. However should we go that way again we have some new free spots lined up!

The highlights for us were, apart from meeting up with various friends who also do these kinds of trips in the winter, was the Atlantic coast of Portugal and the Pyrenees, both sides of the border, plus going to lots on new places.

Verdict; overall a successful trip and so much better for the lack of any planning, apart from booking the crossing

Similar trip to ours ,we left on December 10th and back home on 27th March, 107 nights away, only 2 nights on a Camp Site though, Wild Camped and Aires for the rest.4143 miles in total, nothing booked except the Ferry, don't know what it all cost as never bothered to work it out, Calais to Algarve and west coast Portugal, Madrid and back , fabulous trip,very varied and interesting. 

Vindiboy,

I guess your trip would have cost a little less than ours, but thats not the point, its the enjoyment that matters. I usually run a check on the spend to see if my estimate is anything like the actual spend. The reality is that we spend simply what we need to spend to ensure the enjoyment.

We spent 80 days away, 4 days to Benidorm from Calais on free aires, 3 days return, so 73 nights on campsites, traveling from Benidorm to just below Cartagena, total cost of trip inc Ferry, Fuel, Campsites, Food and Entertainment was just £2,800 and we ate out 4 or 5 times a week, but we dont drink much. We were well chuffed.

fairweather camper - 2013-04-29 4:28 PM

We spent 80 days away, 4 days to Benidorm from Calais on free aires, 3 days return, so 73 nights on campsites, traveling from Benidorm to just below Cartagena, total cost of trip inc Ferry, Fuel, Campsites, Food and Entertainment was just £2,800 and we ate out 4 or 5 times a week, but we dont drink much. We were well chuffed.

Thats very interesting, your spend was 38 euro's/day, ours was 40 euro's/day. Clearly you spent more on campsites than us, but we drove much further.

I think a target cost/spend for "moderate drinkers" in 2013/14 needs to be somewhere in that ballpark. Allow a contingency access to funds of 20% for breakdowns/health issues etc and that should cover it. I'm going to put that in my diary for next time. Thanks for the info.

Archived