no caravans on drives, motorhome??

duetto owner

Guest 1footinthegrave
Couldn't agree more, the answer is quite simple, don't like the covenants , don't buy the bloody house. >:-( and what's all that "test the system", lets hope that particular poster doesn't have someone test the system with a pIg farm suddenly next door to him, bet he'd play a different tune then. >:-)

House we were looking to purchase said no caravans in covenant. I asked our solicitor if it would apply to our motor home, she said yes if the log book stated the vehicle was a motorised caravan. She also said as the covenant was written over 40 years ago and was put in by the house builder, not really to worry about it, especially if there are lots of other 'caravans' on similar property driveways.

Ipetchey - 2013-04-28 9:23 PM

House we were looking to purchase said no caravans in covenant. I asked our solicitor if it would apply to our motor home, she said yes if the log book stated the vehicle was a motorised caravan. She also said as the covenant was written over 40 years ago and was put in by the house builder, not really to worry about it, especially if there are lots of other 'caravans' on similar property driveways.

I'll bet your log book says its a PLCV. Private Light Commercial Vehicle. Have a look and let us know.

Most of these covenants were put on by the house builder to protect himself until all the houses in the group were sold. Once the builder has got his cash and gone. A friend on a small rural estate has a motorhome and a caravan on their drive behind a hedge, Many of the others living around have the same. No problems and no complaints. But a covenant exists covering all the dwellings prohibiting caravans, Builders dead and long gone. So who or why should it be challenged?

My personal experience is from the other side. There was a large field alongside my parents house and a covenant prohibiting building on it was owned by the house we lived in. The builder said he wanted to buy the covenant so he could develop the site. We did not want any building as the rural aspect was a major reason we bought the house in the first place. The builder said he would build anyway and see us in court. Solicitors were used and the net result was that the builder had more to win than we had to loose, so we sold the covenant and then sold the house.

C.

Guest JudgeMental

neighbors can enforce them through the courts I have direct experience from 2012 and our houses buit in 1929. Like Crinkly said the arrogance of some takes some beating!lol

Have learnt something from this thread and that is when purchasing a property inquire about covenants FIRST! Not after you have paid for expensive surveys etc....

""A purchaser who intended to change the property's use, or carry out building work, should inform his solicitor of his intention before incurring any fees, and ask them to look at the contract and title documentation, which will be among the first papers his solicitor receives. The solicitor will be able to advise of anything within the title documentation that will conflict with the purchaser's proposals."

duetto owner - 2013-04-27 10:19 AM

on an estate caravans not allowed on drives. i take it a small ford duetto in daily use would not count as it driven and not towed.

any views

Well, any covenant/wording aside, I would say it all depends on what the rest of the "estate" looks like.

Is it all still fairly "open plan"?...would your van be the only MH parked up?...if yes,then it's going to stick out like a sore thumb..

Also, a high top Transit doesn't always seem that "small" when parked up on a standard/normal(ish) driveway...

..and if it was going to be clearly visible from your immediate neighbours windows(as in, blocking their view from their lounge window), then personally I'd be just as concerned about upsetting them, as I was about the exact wording of some covenant... :-S

As for those who say, "..I'll park what I like on my own drive.." well, let's just hope for their sake that their neighbours don't decide to run a fleet of mobile chip vans... (lol)

Guest pelmetman
duetto owner - 2013-04-27 10:19 AM

on an estate caravans not allowed on drives. i take it a small ford duetto in daily use would not count as it driven and not towed.

any views

Do you have a garage?.........can use raise the height?.......we have a garage here and at the last place we built one which more than added its cost to the value of the house, and it does wonders for keeping your camper in good nick ;-).............plus the local tea leaf is less likely to notice your away :-D

asked a solicitors, caravan is classed as a home that is towed or drawn by horses. a transit campervan does not fit the definition.

thanks everyone for such an interesting read of variuos views.

[ i dont think convants should apply to freehold property, just my view]

Guest JudgeMental
duetto owner - 2013-04-29 5:52 PM

asked a solicitors, caravan is classed as a home that is towed or drawn by horses. a transit campervan does not fit the definition.

thanks everyone for such an interesting read of variuos views.

[ i dont think convants should apply to freehold property, just my view]

I am incredulous!...Cant you imagine the state of the country if they did not exist.

chap on one side of you decides to go into the removals business and parks a large removal lorry. chap on other side starts a digger hire business and parks two diggers on trailers outside,..

I bet you would be the first to complain!lol :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
pepe63 - 2013-04-29 6:24 PM

I can't see the problem, myself.. ;-)

Beauty in the eye of the beholder, and I can't see why anyone would object to this Brits "motorhome" parked next door to them on his own drive that we saw in France. :D

BritMotorhomeFrance.jpg.148f6f508fb31e424ef16f86b7417223.jpg

Archived