Is it best to have an avtex or will a domestic telly suffice?

Pampam

Guest peter
Most people use a standard domestic telly. Get one with a seperate power brick to connect to the mains. That wy you have the option to either power it with a small inverter or get a lead to connect directly to 12 volt supply of van. We use the latter option and it works very well. Before you buy check out the viewing angle, as some are very good and some are poor.

From experience I don't think there is much in it but I must say that we have been very impressed with the performance and picture quality of our Avtex but it is let down by the sound quality which tends to be a bit tinny sounding. Actually having said that I never looked to see if the sound can be adjusted to improve the quality. We're off on our annual five week jaunt round Scotland on Friday so I'll have a look at that when we get up there.

Guest JudgeMental

Jeez...what is that monstrosity sitting behind it.... You really cant bear to part with stuff can you! :-D

having 2 battery's and an inverter we just take the 230 v bedroom TV with us, but not often to be honest, as have enough of the TV at home. and if wife addicted to soaps...change the wife.

Our motorhome TV is a LED Avtec and we have been very pleased with it. We don't travel with it in situ as it is on an extending arm and we don't want to stress the wood that it connects to. Works well on 12V and because its LED it uses hardly any battery power - perfect :-D

tugga - 2013-04-28 3:48 PM

Our motorhome TV is a LED Avtec and we have been very pleased with it. We don't travel with it in situ as it is on an extending arm and we don't want to stress the wood that it connects to. Works well on 12V and because its LED it uses hardly any battery power - perfect :-D

I agree, dead right.

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-04-28 11:53 AM

Jeez...what is that monstrosity sitting behind it.... You really cant bear to part with stuff can you! :-D

having 2 battery's and an inverter we just take the 230 v bedroom TV with us, but not often to be honest, as have enough of the TV at home. and if wife addicted to soaps...change the wife.

Can't you tell a Microwave oven when you see one. :D :D

And for the OP, given that you could buy three or four LED Tv's for the price of the Avtex, well............................ ;-)

Colin Leake - 2013-04-27 10:53 PM

From experience I don't think there is much in it but I must say that we have been very impressed with the performance and picture quality of our Avtex but it is let down by the sound quality which tends to be a bit tinny sounding. Actually having said that I never looked to see if the sound can be adjusted to improve the quality. We're off on our annual five week jaunt round Scotland on Friday so I'll have a look at that when we get up there.

Hi Colin,

Yes you can adjust the sound but i`ve found it doesn`t make much difference on ours.

We set off for Scotland Tuesday for about 5 weeks as well.

This time going over to Harris and Lewis then who knows we`ll make it up as we go along.

Have a good trip ....................( Flash and Wave if you see us ).............................LOL.

Guest JudgeMental
all these small tv's suffer from poor sound even the expensive "smart" HD ones like the Panasonic..I gave up looking to be honest, and sticking with cheap set we have for now. One way to tackle the sound is to plug a lead from tv headphone socket (if u have one) to the auxiliary input on in header unit (if u have one)

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-04-28 4:32 PM

And for the OP, given that you could buy three or four LED Tv's for the price of the Avtex, well............................ ;-)[/quote

Nuffink wrong with our telly ;-).................the burglars look in our windows and go next door :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-04-28 6:06 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-28 4:32 PM

And for the OP, given that you could buy three or four LED Tv's for the price of the Avtex, well............................ ;-)[/quote

Nuffink wrong with our telly ;-).................the burglars look in our windows and go next door :D

Looks like it's a LF ready version, not a HD ready one ;-)

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-04-28 6:22 PM

Looks like it's a LF ready version, not a HD ready one ;-)

It's got a video player to :-D.................unfortunately since we moved 9 years ago I haven't worked out how to set it up again :-S

Avtex I am sure are very good, but they are also very expensive.

We recently bought one advertised in the magazines from TV Village, under the Cello brand, This is LED/HD etc, and gives us a 19inch picture in the same size casing as the previous 15inch one.It/s also a lot lighter in weight and thinner in depth.

Would recommned you look at these, they have a wide variety of sizes and features, inc DVD player if thats what you need.

I beleive the 'innards' are pretty much the same as those you find at a variety or retailers like Currys and John Lewis, and depending on the size of picture you require, the differnece from Panasonic and Sony etc is not great, though theprice may well be.

One important point is make certain the TV is suitable for viewing from all user seating positions. From some screens the fall of of quality image falls as the angle of view moves to the side, the colours fade and blacks turn mushy.

This happened with a good little "bedroom" TV that we first purchased, we upgraded to an Avtex and screen was much better.

Rgds

Guest 1footinthegrave
peter - 2013-04-28 9:46 PM

Doh! I stated that in the second post. *-)

That's often the way. :D

But the OP was it seemed more bothered about the jiggling about it would receive, more than the viewing angle, I'd say avoid the potholes. :D

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-28 9:51 PM

peter - 2013-04-28 9:46 PM

Doh! I stated that in the second post. *-)

That's often the way. :D

But the OP was it seemed more bothered about the jiggling about it would receive, more than the viewing angle, I'd say avoid the potholes. :D

Not where we live you won't. It's often a case of take the pothole or drive into the on coming traffic. We have one road that for over a mile is simply wall to wall potholes that you simply cannot avoid!

Wooie - 2013-04-28 4:35 PM

Colin Leake - 2013-04-27 10:53 PM

Hi Colin,

Yes you can adjust the sound but i`ve found it doesn`t make much difference on ours.

We set off for Scotland Tuesday for about 5 weeks as well.

This time going over to Harris and Lewis then who knows we`ll make it up as we go along.

Have a good trip ....................( Flash and Wave if you see us ).............................LOL.

I agree I got ours in and had a go at adjusting the sound with little success. Ours is in the bedroom area so we don't use that one much so I leave it alone.

You'll know us if you see us we drive an AutoTrail but we've given up flashing and waving and, weather permitting, taken up mooning instead. Much more fun!

Like us you've timed you visit to be ahead of the midges. We always notice how busy Scotland is in May.

Thank you have bought a logic 22" combi (only use it for DVD's ) mostly ,it's only chance we get to watch films without getting disturbed, and sopranos , Seinfeld ,etc with no adverts yippee , watched deadwood this weekend (with van door shut cos of bad language ) and it was a very good picture thanks again for taking time to give advice.

• 1 month later...
Regarding poor quality audio from smaller tv's I have purchased AF stereo amplifier from Maplin s, two speakers with a stereo plug. This is then inserted into the headphone socket of TV. Now have perfect quality stereo sound.

Archived